LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 28, 2024, 4:07 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: October 30, 2015, 3:03 pm 

As I read through peoples build logs and websites I see I see references to things that builders would do differently if they were to build another car. How about a dedicated discussion topic as sort of a clearing house for the information?

Jack of many trades
Master of unfinished projects
build blog/log at https://jerryslocost.wordpress.com

PostPosted: October 31, 2015, 2:12 am 
The voice of reason

HI Jerry. It's an interesting idea. I like to see anything that increases the number of people that start builds and then get thru them to a running car. So supporting people is high on our list.

I think it's in your power to do this, since it's your idea and also you have a fresh perspective. I encourage you to take a shot at it. I'm sure people will help out if you get the ball rolling. We allow people to edit posts so that means you can keep a table of contents of pointer to "lessons learned" in your first post of the thread and then you and other can keep a running discussion going to. Or you could decide to do it some other way.

Jump in the water's fine!

PostPosted: October 31, 2015, 9:23 am 

That's a great idea!
We would all probably do things a little different if we were to do it again.
I would try to set up 5 or 6 general reply sections i.e. chassis/suspension, body/interior, motor/cooling etc.
Dave W

PostPosted: October 31, 2015, 12:55 pm 

Yeah...

Don't forget to finish weld your control arms!
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
A first drive that will live in infamy. :mrgreen:

(I'll never ADMIT to having made similiar mistakes :cheers: )

PostPosted: October 31, 2015, 6:09 pm 

If this takes off it will be the longest thread here. Pretty much every build log is full of lessons learned. Some of mine were to have a rev limiter, especially seeing how I didn't have a tach, after blowing up my engine the first day my car moved under it's own power, then I had to push it home a mile or so. At least having the suspension firmly attached made it easier to push.
Kristian

PostPosted: November 2, 2015, 11:21 am 

davew wrote:
That's a great idea!
We would all probably do things a little different if we were to do it again.
I would try to set up 5 or 6 general reply sections i.e. chassis/suspension, body/interior, motor/cooling etc.
Dave W

I second this idea, Dave. I would definitely include a section on welding too.

Cheers,

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: November 2, 2015, 12:47 pm 

turbo_bird wrote:
At least having the suspension firmly attached made it easier to push.
Kristian
Ahhh... I was wondering how long a Hempy reference would take to surface in this thread!

oldejack is the WINNER!!!! :cheers:

K "broken weld" S

Check out Firearm Finishes & Coating for options to ceramic coat your Locost parts. Hundreds of stock or custom colors including Chrome and Clear Coating options now available! High Temp options for hot bits!! Plastics too!!

Never become a pessimist. A pessimist is correct oftener than an optimist, but an optimist has more fun, and neither can stop the march of events.-Robert A. Heinlein

PostPosted: November 3, 2015, 11:21 am 

Reading through the replies it looks like there is some consensus that this is a good idea.

And that it might be set up as a separate topic, accessible from the board index, with separate threads for things like chassis & suspension, brakes, engine, cooling, etc.

And there's a suggestion that I get it started. I can do that but I suspect that a new topic needs to be set up by an administrator.

PostPosted: November 3, 2015, 12:24 pm 

While I think that this is a good idea, how do you propose it would work differently from the "North American Locost Forums" at the top of the Index? We already have sub indexes on Interior, Exterior, Lighting, Fuel cooling, and a whole bunch of other topics. If we do what you are suggesting, will it be an open discussion area? or just be single-entry posts with "this is how I did this and wish I would have done it differently"

Just trying to figure out how your proposal would differ from what we have, how it would be searchable, etc.....

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: November 3, 2015, 1:59 pm 
The voice of reason

I hesitate to make another forum section for this. I would like to see how things go first. A light did go off in my head when I read Chuck's comment though. I was thinking of grouping these in the general discussion area, but it seems it would make sense to have one of these threads as a sticky in each of the areas of discussion we already have.

This site has a lot info info that is "stream of consciousness" and also a great deal of accumulated stuff. I'd like to see it easier to find info on here. I'm not completely sure this works but what I would like to see is these threads have a table of contents at the beginning that have pointers to build threads or discussions that show issues. These would also include pointers further into the "lessons learned" thread when it gets to multiple pages. These links would be maintained in the first post of the thread.

Jerry, hope you do not feel put upon when I suggested you start this. I'm willing to help. I'd suggest threads be titled the same way, something like "Lessons Learned - Welding" or whatever seems to fit the bill. We can just list the pointers to start but after some time maybe we can use something like an outline format.

I think it will be great for beginners to have access to a table of contents for the site. There is so much material here... If this doesn't work well that's OK, I think we need to keep trying to find things that do work so we should go ahead and give it a shot.

PostPosted: November 3, 2015, 3:33 pm 
Toyotaphobe

I definitely second (or would it be thirteen) the need for a series of threads on this. Everytime I want to look for some super cool idea I can never remember where it is located and I always put in the wrong string of words in the search engine so I get garbage.

I can explain it to you,
but I can't understand it for you.

PostPosted: November 3, 2015, 7:08 pm 

snip

Louisville, KY
Hayes front, S10 +2 rear, Lalo body.

Last edited by geek49203 on November 6, 2015, 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: November 4, 2015, 1:09 pm 

I could, personally, fill a "lessons learned" section with "don't do this..." entries!

http://zetec7.webs.com/

PostPosted: November 4, 2015, 1:23 pm 

zetec7 wrote:
I could, personally, fill a "lessons learned" section with "don't do this..." entries!
OK... but we have to set ground rules... Anything that starts with: Hey Y'All... Watch this! is automatically disqualified!!

K :rofl: S

Check out Firearm Finishes & Coating for options to ceramic coat your Locost parts. Hundreds of stock or custom colors including Chrome and Clear Coating options now available! High Temp options for hot bits!! Plastics too!!

Never become a pessimist. A pessimist is correct oftener than an optimist, but an optimist has more fun, and neither can stop the march of events.-Robert A. Heinlein

PostPosted: November 4, 2015, 2:30 pm 

horizenjob wrote:
Jerry, hope you do not feel put upon when I suggested you start this. I'm willing to help. I'd suggest threads be titled the same way, something like "Lessons Learned - Welding" or whatever seems to fit the bill. We can just list the pointers to start but after some time maybe we can use something like an outline format.

I don't mind doing it. It's going to be a few days before I get to it though.

Jack of many trades
Master of unfinished projects
build blog/log at https://jerryslocost.wordpress.com