LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently November 13, 2019, 9:20 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: My Locost MGB Build
PostPosted: November 2, 2019, 11:27 am 

Here we go again! To recap where I started, We moved to the greater Boston area 2 1/2 yrs ago loving in an apartment in the Boston Seaport area. We finally purchased a (as my wife describes it) a garage with a living area attached. In this area it is tough to find houses with garages (at an affordable price)! So we settled on a townhouse with an oversized 1 car garage and basement in front of it. It tends to stay at more comfortable temps with the living space located above it and there is heat in the basement area. So I can comfortably work year round. Just had to promise that the Bosses car can be placed back in during the worst of weather.

I located a Locost project near Attleboro ,a fellow started and was selling to relocate north to Maine. He used heat treated chrome moly round tubing to build the frame. It was intended to house a SBF/T5. It came with the seats, suspension (minus shocks), wheels/tires, brakes, built Ford 8.8 rear end, Wilwood floor mounted pedals, nose & scuttle, windshield frame, new alum 2000 Civic radiator, Mustang II front suspension uprights and manual rack, frt disc brakes & rotors (all new)! Plus all of the receipts.

So I with the help of a friend and his truck, we rented a Uhaul car trailer and towed it to the house before we even moved in.
Attachment:
File comment: On the trailer -ready to travel to new home
7 on trailer.JPG
7 on trailer.JPG [ 171.14 KiB | Viewed 301 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: 1st Item in new house- man's got to have priorities!
1st item in new garage.JPG
1st item in new garage.JPG [ 118.34 KiB | Viewed 301 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: Lance. the original builder of the frame
Lance- The Buider.JPG
Lance- The Buider.JPG [ 111.09 KiB | Viewed 301 times ]

Fast forward to last month and I finally had the house in shape to start to really evaluate what I had and review so many of the excellent builds posted here. About the time my friend was helping me get it home, he volunteered a 74 MGB motor & trans if I wanted it for the project. Since I was looking for a "driver" not a race car, I decided I would do more of a nostalgic build more like the original Seven's with the BMC 950 cc builds.

I got a rolling table built to set the frame on =my 67 year old back complains about bending over so much!
Attachment:
File comment: My roller table. Back prefers the height, and I can push it back to the wall to get Mama's car in.
IMG_0573.JPG
IMG_0573.JPG [ 114.24 KiB | Viewed 301 times ]

My friend has slowing been bring down parts of the powertrain from his family's cottage in Maine for my build as he has space in his Tahoe. Its tough to get much else in after he has loaded the baby & 3 yrs old along with all of the stuff needed for them.

And he also announces that he has a combo brake, shear, roller that I can borrow as well! It seems like my birthday on steroids!

Thom

Post subject: Re: My Locost MGB Build
PostPosted: November 4, 2019, 10:48 am 
The voice of reason

Hi Thom, sorry for the current state of our website... I'm in Natick, so a local builder. We can visit one of these days, if you like.

PostPosted: November 4, 2019, 11:23 am 
We are Slotus!

Hi Thom-
As a long-time MGB driver/racer, I whole-heartedly agree with the nostalgia powertrain for a Lotus 7 clone. Very cool.
:cheers:
JDK

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: November 4, 2019, 11:33 am 
We are Slotus!

horizenjob wrote:
I'm in Natick, so a local builder. We can visit one of these days, if you like.
Can I come too??? :mrgreen:

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: November 4, 2019, 9:10 pm 

horizenjob- I would like that. I had started on the site when I first purchased the frame. But "stuff happens"! Would love to connect, I am in Melrose- not too far from you. I visited this late summer with JPS Europa to see his build, what a great guy! I have seen some of your postings for suggestions and greatly respect your opinion.

GonzoRacer- any time, you are welcome! Your build is impressive! But you may want to wait till spring- its going to be cold this week here and possible snow this Friday! Green frogs tend to freeze in this kind of weather.

Thom

PostPosted: November 4, 2019, 9:38 pm 

So, I need some assistance- maybe more opinions. Lance, who built the frame, built it like he was still 1/4 mile racing early 70's Mustangs ( the frame was designed for a 5.0 SBF). It has a X member frame right in front of the seats before the deep foot well.

Attachment:
File comment: The tabs were for a fixed seat location. I have sliders now.
Relocated pedals & Wheel (2).JPG
Relocated pedals & Wheel (2).JPG [ 868.63 KiB | Viewed 244 times ]

I would prefer a bottom aluminum plate, riveted. But it will be clumsy to step in and out of the car on the tubes. I am thinking of covering the whole bottom with aluminum and covering just the section right in front of the seats with another aluminum plate. The bottom plate will have blind, sealed countersunk rivets to keep water out of the tubes.

Give it to me boys- this should be interesting for feedback!

Thom

Last edited by BostonWill on November 5, 2019, 7:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: November 5, 2019, 7:18 am 

OK, SO I relocated the pedals forward, remounted the steering column and decided to make the drivers seat adjustable. The frame builder was about 4-5 inches shorter than me and I could not get my body to twist around where I could clear the steering wheel and comfortable operate the pedals. Plus I want my wife and other to be able to drive the car. She is 7" shorter than me. So I purchased two seat brackets to go with the Kirkey race seats and a pair of universal sliders from Summit Racing.

Attachment:
File comment: Pedals moved forward. Will add more floor plating as well as vertical firewall for Master Cyl mounting.
Willwood pedals after move (482x640).jpg
Willwood pedals after move (482x640).jpg [ 243.43 KiB | Viewed 206 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: Removed this mounting flange which allowed 1 1/2" of travel rearword
Seat Tabs_LI (480x640).jpg
Seat Tabs_LI (480x640).jpg [ 300.36 KiB | Viewed 206 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: The seat brackets on the sliders. Cardboard template for the floor.
IMG_0571 (640x480).jpg
IMG_0571 (640x480).jpg [ 124.61 KiB | Viewed 206 times ]

Also, the sets were just a little too wide to be able to move with the cover pad installed. Since the seat was alum, I simply used a long C-clamp to squeeze in the sides. It will still be tight for the seat when I install the inner alum panel. Lucky for me that I lost 10 lbs recently! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: November 5, 2019, 8:05 am 

If you are considering modifying the structure, now is the time to do it. I would not think you need to be concerned about torsional loads in the structure with an MGB drive train. You could remove the "X" and if you were inclined you could add a diagonal under the seat(s). What was the reasoning for the lengthen structure forward of the control arms?
Davew

PostPosted: November 5, 2019, 8:06 am 

It came with a new Alum Rad and the builder had welded tabs on for mounting the rad. But he did not have a fan for it. So I ordered the fan and shroud from the Mfg that fit it. But I then found it spaced the rad up and forward too far and hit the nose. So I re=drilled the mounting location and was able to clear the nose.

Attachment:
File comment: Mishimoto Rad and fan with shroud
IMG_0577 (640x480).jpg
IMG_0577 (640x480).jpg [ 112.76 KiB | Viewed 204 times ]

The Fuel tank would not slip down into the space as designed. But it was so close to slipping in.

Attachment:
File comment: Tank stuck in pinch point when attempted to insert
Locost Fuel Tank (640x480).jpg
Locost Fuel Tank (640x480).jpg [ 259.58 KiB | Viewed 204 times ]

So I used a bottle jack on both sides right at the top to spread the top space open, This allowed the tank to slide in, but when the tension was released it is snug. Trying to determine if too tight that could cause the tank to spring a leak in the future as the frame would flex while being driven.

Attachment:
File comment: Tank in place. I will need a wedged shaped spacer plates on the bottom for the tank to set on.
IMG_0568 (640x480).jpg
IMG_0568 (640x480).jpg [ 125.06 KiB | Viewed 204 times ]

PostPosted: November 5, 2019, 8:13 am 

Davew, I think he was trying to extend the frame for the SBF and would need to angle back the rad to clear the nose. Actually, he does not remember which plan he used for the design. He said he started with a Book frame and modified it. I was a little surprised that he built it with just a 85" wheelbase. And I have tried to match up what he did to any plan, nothing completely matches. It is a Kenetic nose and Cowl.
Attachment:
File comment: Original Seven w/shorter frame & upright rad
Lotus 7 racer motor.jpg
Lotus 7 racer motor.jpg [ 342.06 KiB | Viewed 195 times ]

Thom

Last edited by BostonWill on November 5, 2019, 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: November 5, 2019, 9:25 am 

My friend that is giving me the 74 MGB motor & trans told me last night that he is bringing it all down the 17th! He has it at the family home where he has a workshop. The MGB had been his Father's and when he took it over, it was full of rust. But the motor & trans had been rebuilt not too long before they were parked. Mostly due to carb problems.

Colin said he decided to install an EFI Chevy 60 degree V6/T5 combo after studying the BritishV8 web site. So there sat the old powertrain. A real boon to me!

For me, using the MGB powertrain harks back to my old 69 MG Midget. Can't believe I was able to fit my 6'2" frame in that car! but I was 50 yrs younger and 45 lbs lighter! Though it was not fast, it was fun to drive and was so different from my previous 55 Chevy Belair.

After I wrecked the Midget (the 3 bots holding the rt front lever shock decided to shear in the middle of a "spirited" right hander at speed causing the rt wheel to fold under the car).The idea of a Locost (about the same weight as a Midget) and twice the power with the MGB motor should be more than enough fun for an "old guy" like me.

Attachment:
File comment: Original Seven w/BMC 950cc
Lotus 7 Series 1 w-Midget motor (640x480).jpg
Lotus 7 Series 1 w-Midget motor (640x480).jpg [ 289.89 KiB | Viewed 195 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: HS6 manifold & shield
HS6 intake for MGB (640x462).jpg
HS6 intake for MGB (640x462).jpg [ 222.93 KiB | Viewed 195 times ]

I purchased a 56 Jag XK140 Coupe from a High School friend who was trying to fund his restoration of a XKE roadster.. What a car! Sold it when I went into the Air Force. What a mistake that was.

That has lead to a lifelong love for imports ever since.

But I do remember the issues with the old SUs. So I am giving thought of options for fuel delivery. The fuel tank is set up for EFI.

I did look at the Moss Mts EFI system. It uses the Borla Throttle bodies with adaptors to mount them to the stock HIF4 twin carb intake which I have on this motor.
Attachment:
File comment: The Moss Mts EFI setup using the Borla TB
Moss Mtrs EFI for MG on mtr (640x640).jpg
Moss Mtrs EFI for MG on mtr (640x640).jpg [ 348.13 KiB | Viewed 192 times ]

But I would not need all of the components they use in the package. And they are using a Microsquirt ECU. I can purchase a HS6 intake which allows the Borla TB to bolt right onto the manifold and spacers. This would shorten the overall length of the intake system plus a better flowing manifold. And, at a glance, would appear stock, Kind of a stealth system.

Attachment:
File comment: Borla TB for HS6 mounting
Borla EFI Throttle Bodt w-HS6 base (640x640).jpg
Borla EFI Throttle Bodt w-HS6 base (640x640).jpg [ 195.42 KiB | Viewed 195 times ]

I could also swap to a Weber DCOE type system with a Weber style TB. This is a little cheaper way to go. But it is a little longer package, but would look really sporty. And I understand the airflow is a bit improved with this design. Again, I would use the Microsquirt ECU.

Attachment:
File comment: DCOE style TB
Weber 40mm DCOE style TB (640x640).jpg
Weber 40mm DCOE style TB (640x640).jpg [ 217.89 KiB | Viewed 195 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: MGB DCOE intake
MGB DCOE intake (640x480).jpg
MGB DCOE intake (640x480).jpg [ 232.51 KiB | Viewed 195 times ]

And all of this still has limits because of the limits of the MGB head and is Siamesed intake ports. The aftermarket crossflow head would be an option, but at $1200, that's a pricey option, Then I might as well have gone with a SBF package for price and performance. JD, you mentioned you have raced the MGB, your thoughts would be appreciated here.

But until I get the motor & trans and see how it will all fit, plus make sure the motor is not seized, I will just do more research.

The tuff part of this is I have a 69 Truck (higher iron content) SBF 302 block, new alum TFS twisted wedge heads w/stage 2 porting and roller rockers, h-beam rods, and fly cut (for the twisted wedge heads valve clearance) hypereutectic pistons along with a T5Z Cobra trans and a Kenne Bell Supercharger sitting at my house back in Wisconsin.

But the motor was salvaged out of a 64 For PU that my son totaled when a gal tried to make a left in front of him to get out of a parking lot. And the T5Z was a purchase from Craigslist over 5 yrs ago. So I can't show a clear title trace of ownership for the motor or trans to satisfy the Registry of Motor Vehicles as to prove they were not from stolen vehicles.

Attachment:
File comment: The 302 w/SC
SBF w-SC (481x640).jpg
SBF w-SC (481x640).jpg [ 263.88 KiB | Viewed 184 times ]

Thom

Last edited by BostonWill on November 5, 2019, 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: November 5, 2019, 10:08 am 
We are Slotus!

Quote:
JD, you mentioned you have raced the MGB, your thoughts would be appreciated here.
G'Morning Will- Yep, ran the car in SCCA autocross and then later in Time Trials. It morphed from "Stock" class to "Street Prepared" class and then into "G Prepared" (race car class!)

In stock, I had to run the original HS4 carbs. I did a little polishing on them and used slightly richer needles (skinnier needles) and it did OK. Later I built an airbox around the carbs with a duct to the grill for cold air. That threw me into "Street Prepared" class. It was a bit of an improvement in power, at least I think it was. (Dyno? We don't need no steenkin' dyno!)

And then one of my buddies offered to trade me a Weber side draft and intake for a set of HIF4's and intake I had lying around. I took him up on it. Oh my GAWD, that made a difference for sure. More mid-range, better acceleration. Downside was tuning those Eye-talian barstards was pure witchcraft. Fortunately, I had a buddy that was/is a full-fledged wizard that helped me set them up. I re-designed the airbox to fit over the air filter for the Weber. Don't know if it needed it, but it made me feel better.The Weber was my favorite carb set-up on the B, by far.

At the time, I was writing a column for North American Pylon. I wrote about putting the Weber on the car and going for a test drive. I said something like "The hand of God pushed me back in the seat. Well, wait, this in an MGB we're talking about. It was more like the pinkie finger of God."

And then, SCCA rules being what they are, when I went from F/Street Prepared to G/Production, I had to go BACK to the SU carbs... Oh well... Did some more polishing, re-built the airbox and ductwork, it was OK.

I don't know about those fancy fuel-injection systems, never had one or worked on one. (Or even seen one.) I do have this old Weber and intake boxed up in the shop somewhere. No idea what it's worth. Make me an offer...

Peace, Love and Carburetors-
JDK

PostPosted: November 5, 2019, 10:18 am 

JD, that's a great offer for the Weber setup and I appreciate the insight on your progression of the B. Did you do any work with the head such as porting? And, if so, was it worth the effort?

Will circle back to you, if I may, once I get a handle on the B's motor condition.

Thom

PostPosted: November 5, 2019, 10:44 am 
We are Slotus!

Will-
The class I moved up to, "G Production" was one of those "limited prep" classes that SCCA had for a while there. It allowed you to "port match" the openings in the head to the header/intake, but only 1 inch into the head. I did that, but it was done concurrently with shaving a bit off the head and doing some shaping inside the chambers so I can't really say how much the port matching did. Didn't hurt... Probably... :mrgreen:

PostPosted: November 5, 2019, 1:11 pm 

An MGB engine would be a great build. I really don't think the SU's are bad carbs at all. If your buddy had problems with them, maybe he just didn't understand them. SU=Seldom Understood by most this side of the Atlantic. They are simple really. If in good knick, they should last forever without any retuning. The H4's on my MGA went 10 years with not a single issue.

I'd recommend you get the car together and running. Then decide if you want to upgrade to Weber or EFI. I am a big fan of EFI and the MegaSquirt. I went that route with my rotary Locost. That being said, I believe it would be a delay in satisfaction. I have 2 MGB's at the present time. One will be getting the V6 and maybe automatic trans after the body is rust repaired. The other is a '79 and is running fine on a downdraft 32/36 Weber at the moment.

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

My RX7 powered Locost is now for sale http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=18460

or visit my Cushman Truckster resurrection log: over HERE