LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 17, 2024, 8:15 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4740 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 167, 168, 169, 170, 171, 172, 173 ... 316  Next
PostPosted: October 20, 2014, 3:20 pm 

The axle nuts that came with my J/Y parts have a washer attached that spins freely. I assumed it was to aide in achieving the proper torque. The nuts that were included with my FFR shafts were solid like the Raybestos version. Notice that the hole isn't quite round like the euro locking nuts.

This has to be the only place on the internet that you can talk about nuts with shafts and holes and not giggle. Oh wait, i just did. never mind

:oops:

My build: http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=16005

PostPosted: October 20, 2014, 10:28 pm 
We are Slotus!

Y'all ain't gonna believe it... Or then again, you probably will...

Long time ago, I acquired (bought, stole, borrowed from James, who remembers...) a deep-well impact socket just for removing those famous axle nuts. It was a 36mm axle nut socket, said so right on the side. Been using it for the entire time I been working on the Slotus. That's how I knew that the wrench size of those M24-2 nuts was supposed to be 36mm. I'm pretty sure that one listing I found online even said "36mm Wrench."

Well... It ain't. Looky here:
Attachment:
IT WONT FIT.jpg
Juuuuussssstttt a bit too big... The nut measures 1-7/16, which works out to be about 36.5mm.

James said that some later model Fords used that slightly larger size nut, even with the same metric thread. DAMMIT!!! The other day, Marcus asked if I ever heard Rod Serling's voice narrating our adventures with the Slotus. (For all you children in the audience, he narrated "The Twilight Zone" TV show about 146 years ago, when I was young.) I'm starting to feel more like those "Mayhem" commercials you see on TV now, where everything that can possibly blow up, does.

But, not to worry, James says he has a socket to fit the weird-o nuts I bought. I'll take care of it all tomorrow...
Stay tuned!
:cheers:
JD "My Nuts Are Too Big" Kemp

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: October 20, 2014, 10:47 pm 
The voice of reason

Rod Serling is holding a 36.5 mm axle nut wrench broach in his left hand right now. He'll sell it to you from his ebay site for $1 less then the cost of a 36.5 mm axle nut wrench.

In other news I see they sell a 36" Crescent wrench at Harbour Freight.... :rofl:

Actually I just went and double checked, I know I've seen one that big but HF only listed a 24" model. One review said he used it on a 46 mm axle nut, maybe he typo'ed... I know what I'm buying myself for xmas.

I used to have a rescent wrench that said 12 in. on one side and 300 mm on the other so it did metric too!

PostPosted: October 20, 2014, 11:05 pm 
We are Slotus!

Ha! Marcus, ya can't get to the axle stubs to put the nuts on with an adjustable wrench...
Or a with pipe wrench, for that matter. :twisted:

And, speaking of mayhem, James checked the torque settings on those nuts. Ford recommends 275 lb/ft of torque... I don't think I'd wanna try to apply that level of torque by way of a Horrible Freight wrench.

JDK

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: October 21, 2014, 12:40 am 
The voice of reason

Quote:
Ford recommends 275 lb/ft of torque...

It sounds like a lot but it probably isn't really. Mind you I was kidding about the adjustable wrench, but I bet a 36 mm nut and a 24" crescent wrench would take my weight on the handle and that would be well over 300 ft./lbs.

Really who ever heard of a 36.5 mm wrench, do you suppose it really is 1.5" or 1 7/16" ?

PostPosted: October 21, 2014, 7:20 am 
We are Slotus!

The nut measures 1-7/16, which works out to be about 36.5mm. James says it's a 1-7/16 nut. I'm taking one with me to his shop and borrowing whatever kind of impact socket fits it.

I have a similar plan in mind for torquing them down too... I've got a 24" breaker bar. If I stand on it, anywhere past the middle, that should be MORE than adequate. :oops:

Film at 11... Or, more like "Hey, hold my beer and watch this!"

JDK

PostPosted: October 21, 2014, 7:57 am 

My 318ti front bearing replacement required a trip to Lowe's. They were the only place local where I could buy single oddball sized sockets.

OOPS I did it again
http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=17496

Blood Sweat and Beers
http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=15216

PostPosted: October 21, 2014, 8:58 am 

If you take a sander/grinder to the flats and take off 0.005" off each, the new nuts will fit the 36mm wrench. 5 minutes and you are done. Won't need to borrow or buy another socket for future (ahem) service. Just sayin'.

BTW, somebody please esplain why so much torque? Once the halves of the bearing are together, there is little more tension required other than to make sure the nut doesn't loosen, right? it is not like the axle is torque-to-yield or anything like that.

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: October 21, 2014, 10:02 am 
We are Slotus!

Quote:
take a sander/grinder to the flats and take off 0.005" off each
You obviously ain't seen Bubba use a grinder... We'd have to use a pipe wrench when he got through, and that's just to take 'em out of the vise. :ack:

Quote:
BTW, somebody please esplain why so much torque?
James tried to 'splain that to me... I got lost about half-way through it. I'll get him to say it again, slower, and let y'all know.

PostPosted: October 22, 2014, 10:38 pm 
We are Slotus!

Yo, Team Slotus!
It's a-settin' on the wheels again tonight. It turned out to be a joint effort, with TWWTFM providing adult supervision and holding the brake pedal whilst Bubba stood on the breaker bar and gave it approximately 275 lb/ft of torque. Very approximately... I'm purty sure Bubba goes a few more than 275...

I also have cornered the world market for Thunderbird/Cobra IRS axle nuts. I ordered 4 from Rock Auto and TWWTFM ordered 4 from a vendor on Amazon.com. Both sources said they were in short supply. Rock said 5 left, Amazon didn't specify. We figured ONE of them would get here in time and be the right part. Turns out both of 'em delivered, and had the right part. So, in addition to the minimum two I needed, I now have six extra.

What am I bid???? No crowding, stand back... Cash only, we don't take plastic here...

Seriously, iffen somebody building with Ford IRS pieces-parts needs a couple and can't get them, lemme know, we can deal.

Dixie Region autocross in Moultrie on Sunday!
Stay tuned!

JDK

PostPosted: October 23, 2014, 8:43 am 

GonzoRacer wrote:
Yo, Team Slotus!
It's a-settin' on the wheels again tonight. It turned out to be a joint effort, with TWWTFM providing adult supervision and holding the brake pedal whilst Bubba stood on the breaker bar and gave it approximately 275 lb/ft of torque. Very approximately... I'm purty sure Bubba goes a few more than 275...

I also have cornered the world market for Thunderbird/Cobra IRS axle nuts. I ordered 4 from Rock Auto and TWWTFM ordered 4 from a vendor on Amazon.com. Both sources said they were in short supply. Rock said 5 left, Amazon didn't specify. We figured ONE of them would get here in time and be the right part. Turns out both of 'em delivered, and had the right part. So, in addition to the minimum two I needed, I now have six extra.

What am I bid???? No crowding, stand back... Cash only, we don't take plastic here...

Seriously, iffen somebody building with Ford IRS pieces-parts needs a couple and can't get them, lemme know, we can deal.

Dixie Region autocross in Moultrie on Sunday!
Stay tuned!

JDK

JD (willing and dealing) Kemp,

Glad to hear it's back on its shoes. When the next race? Less talking more racing!!

PostPosted: October 23, 2014, 12:57 pm 

Don't forget about amazon when it comes to needing hard parts either...

http://www.amazonsupply.com/

PostPosted: October 23, 2014, 1:45 pm 
We are Slotus!

krepus wrote:
Don't forget about amazon when it comes to needing hard parts either...
http://www.amazonsupply.com/
Hey Krepus! Good to hear from you again... been a while. So, does mentioning Amazon Supply qualify as "A Word From Our Sponsor"??? Isn't that who you work for these days??? Kewelll... Surf the forum, get brownie points!!! Good on ya!

Quote:
When the next race? Less talking more racing!!
Briggs! Good to hear from you too! The next autocross is Sunday, as in three days from now.
We's gonna be there, rippin' and snortin'!!! Stand back, be prepared to run...

JDK

PostPosted: October 23, 2014, 4:18 pm 
Toyotaphobe

GonzoRacer wrote:
The next autocross is Sunday, as in three days from now.
We's gonna be there, rippin' and snortin'!!! Stand back, be prepared to run...

JDK

And I'll be there to give you the straight skinny on the car & drivers. Wait! I don't think I can use the word skinny around Bubba - he gets a little hot under the collar.

Maybe I'll get some pics or video of Slotus as it self destructs - again! - or leaves a tiny little trail of parts all around the course.

That must be getting old guys, right?

I can explain it to you,
but I can't understand it for you.

PostPosted: October 23, 2014, 8:59 pm 
We are Slotus!

Bubba is very proud of the Slotus, and very protective. If you talk that kind of trash in his presence, he might leave a tiny little trail of parts all around the course... Parts of YOU... Don't say I didn't warn ya... :evil:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4740 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 167, 168, 169, 170, 171, 172, 173 ... 316  Next