LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 2:21 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2887 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 173, 174, 175, 176, 177, 178, 179 ... 193  Next
PostPosted: January 24, 2023, 10:57 pm 

I finished the steering rack mounts yesterday, but didn't get a chance to post until this evening. So, here they are.
Attachment:
DSC06211.JPG

The two vertical 3/8" holes are for the rack mounting tabs, which appear in the background of the photo above for the passenger side. The third, 5/16" hole will mate up to a tab welded onto the lower chassis RHS preventing lateral movement of the rack in use.

Here's how they look in the chassis. The 5/16" mounting tabs have not been installed on the chassis yet.
Attachment:
DSC06212.JPG

Cheers,

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: January 25, 2023, 11:50 pm 

I got the rack mounted in the finished brackets. It went together nicely and I'm pleased. The alignment looks good too. Because of the several competing issues with respect to the rack mounting position, It took much more work than expected, but all-around, I think the compromises taken in each area were good, sensible ones. If the roadworthy car behaves like the suspension program predicts, it should be a very good performer and quite tunable too.
Attachment:
DSC06214.JPG

Attachment:
DSC06216.JPG

One problem I haven't solved yet is the connection of the rack back to the firewall. A lot of builders seem to favor that single bearing that rides in a piece that looks like a big eye bolt with a movable bushing in the center of it. That solution does not appeal to me. I'm thinking of some kind of simple box structure with an intermediate shaft in it, riding in bearings at each end, and each end having a U-joint.

So, as indicated in the photo below, there would be two shafts besides the one in the box (if I go that way). The first would be from the rack to the box, and the second would run from the box to the firewall. I'm really open to suggestions. Thus far, it's just a thought, not a design.

I don't have to solve that issue right now, but I could. If I don't work on the "intermediate box", it is likely time to put the chassis back on my homemade rotisserie and finish up all the welding of the suspension brackets, etc., etc.
Attachment:
DSC06213.JPG

Then I could start on some new, non-suspension stuff like the fuel tank, running the fuel and brake lines, looking at the wiring requirements and where that will all run. The engine and transmission mounts are already done, the rear axle has been placed and all the suspension parts accounted for. I do need to have a drive shaft built, and install the hydraulic clutch setup on the bellhousing. The emergency brake is done, but I have to have cables made. There's a lot of basic stuff to do, but it will all be new things, so a nice change.

Cheers,

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: January 26, 2023, 8:02 am 

Lonnie, I would try mocking up the steering shaft with a u-joint right at the steering rack. Move both tubes down and attach a 2nd u-joint near the outboard center vertical tube with rose joint attached to the center tube as a guide. I'm assuming the exhaust exits at the rear corner.

PostPosted: January 26, 2023, 9:44 pm 
Mid-Engined Maniac

Yeah you want two U-joints. Both to route it with more versatility, but more importantly, creates a Z-shape that will fold up in the event of a frontal impact, instead of driving the shaft back in toward the driver.

PostPosted: January 27, 2023, 12:10 am 

davew wrote:
Lonnie, I would try mocking up the steering shaft with a u-joint right at the steering rack. Move both tubes down and attach a 2nd u-joint near the outboard center vertical tube with rose joint attached to the center tube as a guide. I'm assuming the exhaust exits at the rear corner.

Yes, the exhaust exits at the nearer the lower chassis rail at the rear of the engine, Dave. There are a whole bunch of U-Joint types available from the steering rack manufacturer, and probably from other vendors too. They mount to the spline on the shaft protruding from the rack. Obviously the spline side matches the rack, but there are alternatives for the shaft type on the other side of the U-joint.

I just started poking around on the Internet tonight. It looks like you're thinking of something like this, possibly with a different, homemade bracket?

PostPosted: January 27, 2023, 12:12 am 

KB58 wrote:
Yeah you want two U-joints. Both to route it with more versatility, but more importantly, creates a Z-shape that will fold up in the event of a frontal impact, instead of driving the shaft back in toward the driver.

Yes, I do see what you're talking about generally, Kurt.

Thanks,

PostPosted: January 27, 2023, 2:41 am 

Thanks Kurt for the reinforcement. I knew there was a reason why I did mine this way. Beside having to clear the exhaust header..

Speedway I believe sells a Heim joint just to fit a 3/4" shaft.

Lonnie, I will get the emblems in the mail as soon as I can get to the post office. Not being able to drive sure puts a damper on ones activities. They arrived and look pretty good. I will like to know what you think.

PostPosted: January 27, 2023, 8:39 am 

Flaming River, and Borgeson are both a good source for shafts and hiem joints.

PostPosted: January 27, 2023, 10:14 am 

Lonnie-S wrote:
davew wrote:

Yes, the exhaust exits at the nearer the lower chassis rail at the rear of the engine, Dave. There are a whole bunch of U-Joint types available from the steering rack manufacturer, and probably from other vendors too. They mount to the spline on the shaft protruding from the rack. Obviously the spline side matches the rack, but there are alternatives for the shaft type on the other side of the U-joint.

I just started poking around on the Internet tonight. It looks like you're thinking of something like this, possibly with a different, homemade bracket?

Mine had a similar setup
Looked back through what photos I have & can't find a decent shot with how it was mounted.

http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=20899

PostPosted: January 27, 2023, 1:05 pm 

@benny_toe
Well, I'm sorry about the lack of transport, Larry. However, I'm really looking forward to those emblems.

@davew
Thank you, for the info, Dave.

@JAMADOR
I know how that goes. I'm now looking across 550GB of workstation storage for a whole assembly design I did several years ago of a sliding/tilting steering column setup for my build. How in the world did I lose that? Well, it's like that proverbial pony, it's in there somewhere. :BH:

Cheers all,

PostPosted: January 28, 2023, 10:42 pm 

I found the tilt/telescope steering wheel design. It loaded up fine (it was done 8 years ago) in the latest version of the 3D software. I bought some sliding steering shaft parts for it years ago. In fact, I think I have all the store bought parts needed for the design on my storage shelves.Here's a screenshot of it.
Attachment:
V4-Assembly-Reload-Jan-2023.jpg

However, I think I'm going to move back to the chassis. I think I can make it into a roller pretty handily now. But, while it's back on the rotisserie again, I'd like to handle a bunch of other tasks like making some of the body panels, running the fuel and brake lines and at least deciding where the wiring will go and making provision for that with attachment tabs, holes and grommets, etc.

Accordingly, I stated organizing the garage to permit using the rotisserie again. I had lots of stuff stored under the chassis while it was on jack stands. I'll have to move many things inside the house. I'm out of space in the garage. I got a fair amount done today. It's starting to look like JD's dining room in there [LOL]. He'd razz me plenty about that if he were here. I teased him quite a bit about that.

It's going to rain Sunday and Monday. That will limit my work on those days.

Cheers,

PostPosted: February 2, 2023, 10:13 pm 

Made it out to Lonnie's today :D

Thanks Lonnie for the accelerating ride in the Vette, loved it!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CuOVUb25MRM

Thanks for letting me play with your welder, I was worried I forgot how to weld after being away from my shop since late Oct, :lol:
Great to get together for a garage visit and lunch. :cheers:

'If man built it, man can fix it'
"No one ever told me I couldn't do it."
"If you can't build it safe, don't build it."

Perry's Locost Super Che7enette Build
Perry's TBird Based 5.0L Super 7 L.S.O
Perry's S10 Super 7 The 3rd
Perry's 4th Build The Topolino 500 (Little Mouse) Altered
Perry's 5th Build the Super Slant 6 Super 7
Perry's Final Build the 1929 Mercedes Gazelle

PostPosted: February 4, 2023, 12:08 pm 

@horchoha

It was great having you visit, Perry. It's super nice to talk to another Locoster in person. It would be fun to do that every day [SIGH].

Since you left, I have done a lot with getting the garage cleaned up and finding new storage space for all the things in (and under) the 7 chassis, so I can get it back on the rotisserie. It's forced me to make some hard choices and there are now 5 things I'll be putting on Craig's List to make room for the necessary Locost parts on my storage shelves. That's probably a good thing.

I'm taking photos of them and doing the write-ups this morning.

Take care,

Lonnie

PostPosted: February 6, 2023, 11:19 pm 

Today's task was getting my chassis back on the rotisserie for the last time. Almost everything is welded. However, there are a few small areas that I wasn't able to weld when it was on the build table or on jack stands.

I took a WAG about where the chassis CG was located, and got real lucky. It hoisted up flatter than a pancake, which makes mounting it on the rotisserie much more pleasant than wrangling a nose up or nose down bohemian all by your lonesome.
Attachment:
DSC06228.JPG

I used the same junk built, but functional, rotisserie as last time. It's had been sitting outside in the weather for 6 years or so and was rusty. I wire brushed and inspected all the welds. Each one looked sound. I found some better collars to keep the shafts from moving versus the cheesy plastic ones I use last time. They had disintegrated in the 6 years of weather anyway, so needed replacement.
Attachment:
DSC06230.JPG

I got the chassis remounted, but left the lifting slings attached while giving the unit a pretty good workout with jiggling, etc., just in case something might fail after it's long sit outside. Nothing failed, so I removed the shop crane and packed up all the tools for the night.
Attachment:
DSC06232.JPG

Tomorrow, I'll start making up some welding coupons that duplicate the welding situations for all the suspension brackets and other items needing final weld. I feel my welding need a little refresher before tackling them.

Cheers,

PostPosted: February 7, 2023, 12:40 am 

Well done Lonnie!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2887 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 173, 174, 175, 176, 177, 178, 179 ... 193  Next