LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 19, 2024, 12:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: December 22, 2010, 6:58 pm 

Awesome build so far.

I also had the idea of using a 305, namely because they are dirt cheap compared to other v8 options. Ill agree with whoever stated that some mags have done some 305 builds...they were pretty comprehensive and they had some serious gains.

Keep it up!

PostPosted: December 22, 2010, 10:37 pm 
Always Moore!

Any pics of this years car?

PostPosted: December 24, 2010, 12:11 am 

Only CAD so far... however, we're heading into the shop on Monday for a few days to bend, notch and tack the chassis tubes. Our team size has been cut in half due to graduation since last June. Eight guys should be enough, no? :BH:

Gas prices have surged here, which has caused me to re-think the engine for the 7. At $1.24/L ($4.69/US gal) for regular unleaded, I'm not sure 20 mpg is the right way to go for a light sports car, especially when I have other engines available that require nothing but customizing a belhousing/clutch assembly. I'm also having difficulties locating 8.8 IRS rear ends, and those that are available, they're charging an arm & a leg for them. We've got a massive JDM following, so Subaru, Mazda, Nissan diffs are easier to come by at significantly lower prices (even w/LSD).

95 525i

PostPosted: July 20, 2011, 10:50 pm 

Well, to say that I have Locost ADD is an understatement. Rebuilding the 305 was going to get very expensive and I've had some concerns about it's fuel economy for a while. My alternate plan was also getting a little too far in left field. My friend (and FSAE engine guy) just started working on a custom turbo setup on his brother's e30 318i and scored almost an entire car worth of parts. Long story, short? Browsing the local auto enthusiast forums for less than 5 mins, I located another M42 w/Getrag 240 5-sp, engine wiring harness and a chipped ECU for $150 from a guy who was just finishing up a M50 swap in his e30 track car. I picked it up tonight and looking forward to getting this thing started.

95 525i

PostPosted: July 22, 2011, 10:52 pm 
Always Moore!

I think you are the first person to ever refer to a sbc as "expensive". :lol:

PostPosted: July 24, 2011, 10:00 pm 

Probably, but I would have had to do quite a bit machine work on it, source a new flywheel, clutch, intake/injection system, cam... and the list went on. I also have a lot more contacts/parts sources specializing in euro cars that would make it less expensive to maintain a BMW. Unlike the SBC, all I need to start the BMW engine is 12V & fuel (pump and lines).

95 525i

PostPosted: July 24, 2011, 11:10 pm 

That's about all it takes to start a small block, too... lol you can build a mild small block from swap meet parts for like $300...

PostPosted: July 25, 2011, 10:20 pm 

BMW M42 is a great motor. Easy to get 150 WHP and very durable. Love to see a locost with an m42
nice to see something different than a miata or a V8 :mrgreen:

2002 Toyota Tacoma
1999 BMW M3

PostPosted: July 26, 2011, 11:31 pm 

krepus, the problem was that I was missing the carb/FI system on the SBC. Many of the coolant passages were restricted and therefore would have needed a full overhaul.

The real icing on the cake is that due to some research being put on hold, our FSAE shop has been given the use of a SuperFlow engine dyno and standalone console capable of handling V8s. We will be making the necesary adapters/cradles to fit both the CBR600 F4i for our FSAE program as well as one for the numerous M42s that my friend and I will be developing. As a result I should be able to provide baseline numbers as well as with forced induction.

95 525i

Last edited by AK Seven on July 26, 2011, 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: July 26, 2011, 11:33 pm 
Always Moore!

Very nice "gift" from the university. I think I know a way you guys could add a few extra dollars to your budget.... ;)

PostPosted: July 26, 2011, 11:42 pm 

We're extremely happy as it kinda happened by accident. The supercharged Rotax that was origianlly being tested (obtained by one of our alumni that works for BRP) decided to go a bit lean on one cylinder and chewed some rings. So while they source a new engine, we've got free use of the setup.

95 525i

PostPosted: July 28, 2011, 9:46 pm 

I absolutely love the subtle features of this engine, so I figured I'd share... engine pics!!! :twisted:

408lb!!! RR corresponds to the scale under the oil pan, LR is under the trans area, but sitting on the end the exhaust manifold (not visible). Only missing electrics and all fluids.

95 525i

PostPosted: July 28, 2011, 11:55 pm 

408 is pretty good for the whole package with manifolds. About 25 less than my Volvo engine and trans.
complete

2002 Toyota Tacoma
1999 BMW M3

PostPosted: August 14, 2011, 8:02 am 

In the past 2 weeks...

- started sketching/packaging some suspension designs... some cool stuff is in the pipeline.
- friend's brother nearly totals his e30 (rear-ended a bus), killing the turbo project
- worked 12 of 14 days, many of them 12-13hrs replacing/repairing/inspecting the main diesel engine on several ships
- killed my DD Subaru clutch, but limping around to/from work until the new one arrives.

I finally got a day off today, so after a couple of errands I'll be at the shop, taking measurements for engine/trans mounts and the center tunnel. I should be able to design a modular cradle in order to get the engine up and running so that it doesn't sit too long. I should a fluid change as well.

95 525i

PostPosted: August 6, 2014, 1:26 am 

Almost 3 years since an update and truth is, not much progress happened until today. In fact, I had regressed massively. I sold the M42 engine to my friend's brother to have as a spare for his E30, bought a mk1 Rabbit diesel to build as a commuter car, blew up my Subaru (ok, 16 bent valves due to t-belt failure :oops: ) and replaced it with a tank of an E34 525i. Busy at work, busy at school, busy with Formula SAE. I was dead set on building something very similar to a Palatov dp4 as it would be easy to tow to autox with the BMW...

Everything changed today... my classmate announced that he is scrapping his E36 318ti due to a bad clutch release bearing. $200 and it's mine. Complete car that still drives but is a little on the rusty side in terms of chassis and subframes. Gears started turning... Then this evening, as I was walking from one building to another at Univ. I ran into another student, whom I had met previously due to his Locost being frequently parked on the street outside school. His class had been cancelled and offered to go for a drive.

Sweet mother of all that is Holy! 260hp dyno tuned S2000 motor in something that I can drag my knuckles on the ground while driving - I suddenly remembered why I even considered it in the first place. Looks like I will be making room in the driveway for another vehicle teardown/part-out. :twisted:

95 525i

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next