LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 18, 2024, 7:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 177 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
PostPosted: November 30, 2015, 9:25 pm 

I was hoping to find some kind of cheap insert that could be pushed into the tube and bend around the small corners. There are a few on summit for pipes that are straight and some are small but way too expensive to put 2 or 3 in the exhaust.

http://www.summitracing.com/search/part ... st-inserts

PostPosted: November 30, 2015, 11:12 pm 

I kind of expected it to be loud. I guess I was having a flash back to my 70's high school days when the extra noise was worth at least 50 more HP and impressed the tall blond girl with the long legs.

I do like the insert idea Toylocost mentions. Kind of reminds me of the Supertrap exhausts system for motorcycles. Remove plates and the sound changes. They offer these for automotive exhaust tips which is an option if they were not so expensive.

PostPosted: November 30, 2015, 11:28 pm 

Racepedals wrote:
I kind of expected it to be loud. I guess I was having a flash back to my 70's high school days when the extra noise was worth at least 50 more HP and impressed the tall blond girl with the long legs.

I do like the insert idea Toylocost mentions. Kind of reminds me of the Supertrap exhausts system for motorcycles. Remove plates and the sound changes. They offer these for automotive exhaust tips which is an option if they were not so expensive.

Could always build your own.

Take a pipe that is approx. 1/2 - 1/3 the diameter of your exhaust.. IE for a 3" exhaust, a 1-1.5" pipe.. find an old washing machine on craigslist, or the side of the road etc.. and cannibalize the drum. Cut the bottom off the drum, and down one side. Roll the drum out and flatten as you go with a deadblow. Trace the ID of your exhaust pipe onto the flattened washing machine drum/barrel. Cut out circles of the drum, and a smaller center section for the 1" pipe. Tack weld them 1" apart on the 1" pipe, and keep adding until you reach the desired level of baffle. Cheap, easy enough to do, and completely customizable to your sound needs. most washing machine barrels are made of stainless steel and have good heat resistant properties, so its something that will last, and won't hamper your performance any more than a cat would.

I plan on using no muffler, but baffling a 2-2.5 ft section of exhaust pipe this way, I think it will keep the look cleaner, and will still meet my states requirement of less than 92DB @ 50 feet.

Driven5 wrote:
Forced Induction + Magic Spinning Doritos = EMod

PostPosted: December 4, 2015, 11:27 pm 

Russ, how close are you to the big first start?

My build: http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=16005

PostPosted: December 5, 2015, 9:54 pm 

I've got lots to do before flipping the switch so I have to settle for making motor noises as I sit in the seat.

PostPosted: December 6, 2015, 10:56 am 

I used to have an LP of race car sounds. It was drive-bys at Silverstone, I think. Fours, sixes, various V12s, and the BRM H-16, which was an unholy-sounding monster. [googles] Hey, there are whole web sites with that kind of stuff now! Download some to your phone and you can play them back while you... verify the steering wheel location. Yes.

PostPosted: December 6, 2015, 9:52 pm 

TRX wrote:
I used to have an LP of race car sounds. It was drive-bys at Silverstone, I think. Fours, sixes, various V12s, and the BRM H-16, which was an unholy-sounding monster. [googles] Hey, there are whole web sites with that kind of stuff now! Download some to your phone and you can play them back while you... verify the steering wheel location. Yes.

The ring tone on my phone is the sound of an F1 car going through the gears a couple times. I've never looked at my phone because someone else's is ringing.
Kristian

PostPosted: December 9, 2015, 10:26 pm 

Wanting to do something different for the muffler shield, I had some stainless steel braided hose covering that I decided to try and make a shield from. I wrapped the glass pack with exhaust wrap, tied with stainless wire then wrapped it with some aluminum tape and used some 4" stainless clamps to secure everything. I'm not sure how the surface temperature will end up being but I like the looks.
Attachment:
0165.jpg
Attachment:
0166.jpg
Attachment:
0167.jpg
Attachment:
0169.jpg
Attachment:
0170.jpg
Attachment:
0171.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: December 9, 2015, 10:30 pm 

I really like the way it looks. I think I would like it more if the muffler was painted black underneath it. But that's just my opinion, and most of the time my opinion sucks.

Driven5 wrote:

PostPosted: December 9, 2015, 10:47 pm 

That does look good. I don't have any heatshield on my glasspacks, and they get a bit warm. They don't get hot enough to blister skin if you brush against it though, and it also make a good hand warmer when driving in cold weather.
Kristian

PostPosted: December 9, 2015, 10:54 pm 

some states require heat shields on external mufflers. I think some even have requirements for the max temperature those heatshields can be :(

Driven5 wrote:

PostPosted: December 10, 2015, 1:02 am 

I worry about some kid getting close to the hot exhaust when parked after a drive. The muffler gets really hot and i have yet to put a shield on it. Been looking at perforated stainless. Around $25 for a piece big enough.

Still have the scar from a Stalker's muffler I got too close to 8<(

PostPosted: December 10, 2015, 9:34 am 

That sure looks spiffy! I wonder how much cooler it will be? Do you worry about rust?

I also worry about the heat of my muffler. I have a shield for that. But more so, I worry about someone burning themselves on the header pipe(s) and resonator which are not shielded. I've been told that the rotary exhaust runs a few hundred degrees hotter than a piston engine. :shock:

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: December 10, 2015, 10:05 am 

Everything is stainless steel except the inlet and exit exhaust pipes, of which I may change to SS later on.

PostPosted: December 10, 2015, 10:09 am 

rx7locost wrote:
That sure looks spiffy! I wonder how much cooler it will be? Do you worry about rust?

I also worry about the heat of my muffler. I have a shield for that. But more so, I worry about someone burning themselves on the header pipe(s) and resonator which are not shielded. I've been told that the rotary exhaust runs a few hundred degrees hotter than a piston engine. :shock:

yep, that has to due with the whole lack of valves thing. I mean when you look into the exhaust port you're basically looking into the combustion chamber. nothing quite like seeing a CAST IRON manifold glowing red after a 1/4 mile pass to really put thing in perspective.

Driven5 wrote:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 177 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next