I regret no bragging about sailing. Courtesy of my officiating I spend more time in motorboats than sailing, by about a 5 to 1 ratio. Winter is my dedicated sailing season, when I sail my ice-boat. I am getting to sail my club's autumn Sunday series in my Soling, courtesy of no conflicting judging plans. The first race was mildly disappointing, coming second by 2 seconds after two hours, but cold 're-play' found more than enough mistakes to cover that 2 second loss. All else being equal, it is he who make the fewest errors who wins .... but back to car building.
After windshield work I began to tackle drive-train. I first located the engine/gearbox longitudinally, to put the shifter in the steering wheel plane - 'playing driver' was required, but absent vroom-vroom noises. I also located the drive-train axis 19mm (that's what evolved; I didn't choose that number - but I work metric or British units depending on which one lands on a gradiation on the scale.
) to the right to reduce driveshaft angle with the offset Isuzu pinion. I ended up with an estimated universal angle a little less than the recommended 3 degrees for Hooke joints.
Fortunately, the 6 speed gearbox is long, requiring the engine to move forward, which eliminated any interference issues with the exhaust flange on the stock Nissan header. Unfortunately
, the front of the engine now nearly touches a forward frame diagonal, blocking a water inlet: structural mods required!
I blocked the engine in the right location (actually higher, to allow for motor mount compression) and mocked up some Jack-style origami motor mounts, before welding them up as sub-assemblies.
More to follow ...