Unfortunately I started the build without a real game plan. So I started with the basic book chassis plans, some square tubing and got to work. I built myself table and started cutting the tubing. Tacked the basic frame together and realized that without a plan this is going to go nowhere fast.
File comment: At this point it was a basic book chassis tac welded.
basic frame.jpg [ 66.36 KiB | Viewed 2664 times ]
File comment: another view
basic frame 2.jpg [ 68.9 KiB | Viewed 2664 times ]
I was undecided on what direction to go when I start the build. My initial plan was a Miata based build due to the fact I owned two of them since 95. My first one was a super charged 95 and my second was a csp 96 with a 99 engine installed. This path seemed most likely due to my knowledge of these cars and the stockpile of parts I already had.
The other path I was looking at was totally different but also included some stock piled parts and an unusual donor car with title that may come in handy when I try to register it. This was vw bug? It already had a built motor that had a few miles on it and ran flawlessly and I had several upgrade parts sitting in the garage including disc brakes with Chevy lug patterns for all for corners. Then I read on LocostUSA forums where some one else had the same idea but no one thought it could work. That sealed the deal for me, but I still did not have a plan.
At this point the Seven frame was put on hold and moved down from the work shop to the basement to make room for the bug to return home. In one last drive I returned my wife’s beloved bug back home from my parents spare garage bay to start the tear down. Craiglist’ed what I could, kept what I needed and scrapped the rest. Now the Seven could return to the workshop.
The first step with my new game plan should have been getting the drive train figured out and fitted into the frame, but that is hind sight. I started out by mounting the torsion tube into the rear. This requires machining for upright bars to match the contour of the tube and then welding the whole tube in as one assembly to get is square. Later on I cut out a large part of the torsion tube to reduce weight since I was planning on using coilover instead of torsion bars. I only needed the mounting points.
File comment: Torsion Tube welded in
torque tube.jpg [ 64.31 KiB | Viewed 2664 times ]
File comment: this would give me my rear suspension pionts.
torque tube 4.jpg [ 58.32 KiB | Viewed 2664 times ]