LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 27, 2024, 3:53 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 297 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next
 Post subject: Completed Car
PostPosted: March 2, 2014, 9:32 pm 

It's been a long time since I last posted. At that time I was very near completion. I took off from building almost a year. I have since
completed the car, almost. Here . are some photos, starting with removing the car from the basement. I removed the winshield and
roll bars. I made a couple of dollies which I chained to the wheels. I made a ramp using 2x12 lumber. Here are some photos of the
removal. My son Clint was my helper and my friend the wrecker operator provided his truck. My neighbor looked on and provided
moral support. Actually, this post should have been under my build log. Sorry.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post subject: Completed Car Photos
PostPosted: March 2, 2014, 9:36 pm 

After removing the car from the basement, I reattached the windshield, roll bars and body panels. Here are
some photos. This should be under my build log. Maybe it can be moved?

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post subject: Re: Completed Car
PostPosted: March 2, 2014, 11:27 pm 

photoman wrote:
It's been a long time since I last posted. At that time I was very near completion. I took off from building almost a year. I have since
completed the car, almost. Here . are some photos, starting with removing the car from the basement. I removed the winshield and
roll bars. I made a couple of dollies which I chained to the wheels. I made a ramp using 2x12 lumber. Here are some photos of the
removal. My son Clint was my helper and my friend the wrecker operator provided his truck. My neighbor looked on and provided
moral support. Actually, this post should have been under my build log. Sorry.

Congratulations on finishing the car. Those are some fantastic photos! :cheers:

PostPosted: March 3, 2014, 8:31 am 
Always Moore!

Awesome end to the build - where there is a will there is a way!

PostPosted: March 3, 2014, 9:32 am 

I've been driving the car since last summer. No problems except the engine is running too rich and the mileage is low. Still working on that. Otherwise, not any problems. The car handles extremely well (better than I can drive). Still have a couple of things to do like making a grill and a boot of some kind to cover the parking brake attachment. Every time I drive the car, and I mean EVERY TIME, people want to know what it is, they want to take photos, at stop lights people will question me about it, what engine, etc,etc.

Still deciding whether to paint the hood and or the front fenders.

The handling is like no other car I have driven. When entering a corner, the car turns in extremely well, with a slight oversteering feel, but in the curve very neutral. Haven't spun the car yet.

Now it's time to build another one. Actually I have already started another one, (actually two).

PostPosted: March 3, 2014, 9:38 am 

This car is so much fun to drive, I can't get enough seat time this time of year. I decided to make a top. Just started. I want to be able to drive year round. Back in the summer, I got caught in a rain storm. Even though I had wipers it took about a minute before they were useless. My wipers did a great job of clearing the windshield, on the outside, but guess what, they didn't work very well on the inside. I guess I could build a wiper for the inside but after much thought, I decided a top would be more conventional. I won't look very well, but it will keep out some of the rain and will also keep the car nice and toasty.

PostPosted: March 3, 2014, 11:00 am 

You know what, even with a top on, you have such a low pressure area behind the windshield that after 10 minutes of rain, you have the same rain problem on the inside surface. But it is much nicer motoring with a top on, during those the hot summer days. Dave W

PostPosted: March 3, 2014, 12:25 pm 

Great job getting it out of your basement - very creative.

Is your hood hinged in the middle? Looks like it anyway.

Now you just need to buy or borrow a video camera so we can all vicarious ride-along with you via YouTube. :D

Cheers,

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: March 3, 2014, 4:10 pm 

Lonnie-S wrote:
Great job getting it out of your basement - very creative.

Is your hood hinged in the middle? Looks like it anyway.

Now you just need to buy or borrow a video camera so we can all vicarious ride-along with you via YouTube. :D

Cheers,

Yes the hood is hinged in the middle. Actually it does not have a hinge. I or

PostPosted: March 3, 2014, 7:52 pm 

Black and silver. Verrrryy classy! Some nice design touches here and there. Square nose mimics the square headlights. Frameless windshield. Luggage rack and rear panel to name just a few. Congratulations!

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: March 3, 2014, 9:27 pm 

Thanks for the compliments guys. Yes the hood is two pieces. I had planned to use a piano hinge, but after building it I didn't like the hinge, so I built a second hood using dzus fasteners. I was thinking I wouldn't be removing the hood very often. I was wrong. A hinged hood would be a lot better. I plan to add hinges a little later. Also, I didn't hinge my deck lid, another mistake, since I have to
open the trunk to add fuel. Will change to hinges later. Another reason to use hinges for easy opening is the amount of attention the car receives. Literally every where I stop, people want to look over the car and it would be nice to be able to easily show the engine and inside the trunk. Concerning the color of the car, I chose black because I used pre-painted panels for most of the car. Choosing
black meant that I wouldn't have a problem matching the fiberglass nose and rear fenders when I painted. My next car is going to be a different color. Actually, I am building two cars. One will be burgundy and the other is yet to be determined. I decided to build two cars because I figured I could build two in about one and a halve the time it would take to build only one. So far so good. I will start a build
diary on those pretty soon. I learned a lot on the first car and will incorporate that knowledge. Some minor changes, but nothing earthshattering, namely a slightly shorter chassis, in the front.

PostPosted: March 4, 2014, 7:59 am 

Looking at the front view, it appears you've got Book-ish lower control arms, and Kinetic upper control arms. is this the case?

also I really liked the cellar exit strategy ;-) nice work!

The beginnings of the Jag Special,
https://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=19012
Again, all pictures were lost.

PostPosted: March 4, 2014, 9:26 am 

Looking at the front view, it appears you've got Book-ish lower control arms, and Kinetic upper control arms. is this the case?

also I really liked the cellar exit strategy ;-) nice work!

Yes they are Kinetic upper arms. The lowers are shown on pages 2-3 of the log, I think. DOM tubes with a plate on top. A channel. forming a box on top of the plate to hold the ball joint.

PostPosted: March 4, 2014, 9:28 am 

At the moment, I'm working on a top. Not a soft top, but an aluminum one. We'll see how that goes. I'll try to post some photos soon.

PostPosted: March 4, 2014, 11:06 pm 

Here are some photos of the top I'm working on.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 297 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next