LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 28, 2024, 2:45 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 297 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 20  Next
PostPosted: May 13, 2012, 10:52 am 

I received my front fenders from Fenders and More. I was very pleased with the product. The finish was a very nice brushed aluminum and was protected by a plastic film.They were longer than I needed. I was told when ordering they send a fender which is about 180 degrees, which allows the customer to cut to the desired length. After much thinking, measuring and looking, I decided to cut one down. Here is a photograph. Note, I haven't finished the bracket so I have the fender laying on a 1 inch spacer atop the tire. I was very pleased with the width and radius.
Attachment:
front fender.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: May 13, 2012, 10:54 am 

I also decided to paint the roll bars black, just to see how they would look. I think I like them. I can always have them plated or powder coated later.
Attachment:
roll bar2.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: May 13, 2012, 1:32 pm 
We are Slotus!

Hi Rod-
+1 on the black roll hoop, it looks good. Kinda depends on what color(s) the rest of the car is going to be, but it's hard to beat "basic black" on automotive stuff. IM-N-S-HO (That's "Not-So-Humble" :mrgreen: )

Do you happen to know what those ally fenders weighed before you trimmed them? And how wide are they? Enquiring minds, etc...

:cheers:
JDK

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: May 13, 2012, 6:51 pm 

Well Mr. Gonzo, or is it Mr. Racer, anyway, I plan to paint the car black. Here is a car I really like.
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxOH5fcM ... re=related). My side and rear panels are already black. I bought painted aluminum from Performance Bodies. :cheers:

PostPosted: May 13, 2012, 7:07 pm 

Gonzo, the fender was called a 71/2inch, but the actual outside to outside is exactly 8 inches. I couldn't weight it. It was too light to activate my digital bathroom scale, but it's pretty light. I was very happy with the quality.

PostPosted: May 13, 2012, 7:49 pm 
We are Slotus!

Cool car in the video... Yeah, gloss black looks good! I like it.

Quote:
too light to activate my digital bathroom scale, but it's pretty light.
:mrgreen: Good answer! Sounds like a nice piece of work. I may be talkin' to those folks one day soon.

Thanks!

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: May 13, 2012, 8:24 pm 

I did finally weigh it. It's between 3 and 3.2lbs. Pretty light.

PostPosted: May 13, 2012, 10:05 pm 

how was the price on the fenders, do they have any rears?

they look excelent,

i notice that the hood hinges down the middle, more photos please

but we in it shall be remembered.

PostPosted: May 13, 2012, 10:23 pm 
We are Slotus!

photoman wrote:
I did finally weigh it. It's between 3 and 3.2lbs. Pretty light.

That is light, less than I'd expected. Thanks for doing that, Rod!

PostPosted: May 13, 2012, 11:33 pm 

photoman wrote:
It was too light to activate my digital bathroom scale.
Well, add another item to the "what's the difference between Matt and a cycle fender" list. :lol:

That looks really awesome. I'll probably be calling them up once I get to the "needing fenders" stage, too.

PostPosted: May 14, 2012, 8:52 am 

john hennessy wrote:
how was the price on the fenders, do they have any rears?

they look excelent,

i notice that the hood hinges down the middle, more photos please

They make the fenders to order.Here is the link(http://www.fendersnmore.com/). Mine were $75 ea. plus $25 for shipping to Tennessee. $175 total.It took about two weeks from the time I called them until they arrived at my door. They didn't charge me until they were actually making the fenders. I thought that was good.
About the hood. At first I planned to use a piano hinge down the center, but after making the two panels, they looked better than I had expected, considering my limited sheet metal experience. Then I decided to make hidden hinges. Played with several prototypes. They all seemed way too bulky to me, so I decided to not use any hinge at all. I put Dzus fasteners on (four per panel). Give me a little time, I will get some photographs together and post soon. Thanks for your interest.

Post subject: Hood Detail
PostPosted: May 14, 2012, 10:17 pm 

Here are more photographs of the hood. For each hood panel I started with a 3x4ft aluminum sheet .050 3003 H14 which I order from online metals. I clamped the sheet to the scuttle frame and to the nosecone, allowing enough material to bend down the center flange. I simply bent the sheet down by hand. I will tend to spring back so I took the panel off the car and made the bend a little sharper by trial and error until it matched the curve of the scuttle and the nose. Then I marked the panel for the flange and bent it with my home made bending brake. I put notches on each end so it would lay flat on the scuttle frame and nose and clamped it down securely. Then I pulled the sheet down tight against the frame rail and went under and marked the panel at the upper frame rail. Next, I bent the lower flange, but I didn't bend at the frame rail mark, I moved up a little, maybe half and inch. I would rather have the hood slightly short that too long. Anyway, the driver's side panel turned out just about perfect. The right side was just slightly long. Not by much but enough so that when you look at the fit at the nose, the right panel has just a little buldge, which can't be corrected,
Attachment:
Hood.jpg
Here is a photograph showing the engine clearing notch
Attachment:
hood-2.jpg
After cutting the notch, I became concerned that the hood would buckle. I added a reinforcement underneath, shown here.
Attachment:
hood engine clearence notch.jpg
I also cut notches to clear the Dzus mounting plates.

Post subject: Re: Hood Detail
PostPosted: May 14, 2012, 10:26 pm 

I forgot to mention that I had to put a blister in the passenger side hood to clear the throttle linkage. Not a very clear photograph but maybe you can see it.
Attachment:
hood-engine blister.jpg
Attachment:
hood-engine blister2.jpg
It was a little difficult determining just where to put the blister since the hood fit so close to the engine. I sprayed a little paint on the underside of the hood and moved the hood just slightly on the throttle linkage to make a mark. Then I use my custom made rubber mallet and a bag of sand
and proceeded to pound. Starting in the center and moving out. It worked pretty good. Not as good as a professional metal worker.
Attachment:
engine blister-underside.jpg

Post subject: Fenders
PostPosted: May 14, 2012, 10:34 pm 

I have also been working on my fender brackets. I was very, very, very pleased with the fenders I got from Fenders n More. Here are a couple of photographs.
Attachment:
front fenders.jpg
Attachment:
fender-right.jpg
Attachment:
fender-right2.jpg

PostPosted: May 14, 2012, 10:48 pm 

Whoever moved my photos here, thanks. I had mistakenly posted them incorrectly. My wife Linda, passed away last week so I wasn't thinking very clearly. Working on the car the has been helpful.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 297 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 20  Next