LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 18, 2024, 6:12 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 297 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20
PostPosted: March 5, 2014, 9:47 am 

Looks pretty good IMO. I like the side panels. They remind me of a 914 or DelSol or X/19 without the top. Some work needs to be done to blend the top to the trailing ines of the side panel unless you are wanting the rectilinear look. How do you plan on securing the leading edge without stressing the windshield?

Think now about how you might attach/fit doors and side curtains when the time comes. If you can accommodate that, at least in concept, now, then it won't be a possible obstacle later on.

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: March 5, 2014, 11:35 am 

this guy is a glutton for punishment, when you've finished the next two maybe you could build one for me.

seriously though the car looks excellent and prooves that if you have the will, you can achieve almost anything.

but we in it shall be remembered.

PostPosted: March 5, 2014, 2:45 pm 

rx7locost wrote:
Looks pretty good IMO. I like the side panels. They remind me of a 914 or DelSol or X/19 without the top. Some work needs to be done to blend the top to the trailing ines of the side panel unless you are wanting the rectilinear look. How do you plan on securing the leading edge without stressing the windshield?

Think now about how you might attach/fit doors and side curtains when the time comes. If you can accommodate that, at least in concept, now, then it won't be a possible obstacle later on.

I hadn't thought of the 914 or DelSol or even the X/19 which I use to own. I had thought it looked similar to an old Northeastern
modified back in the day when they used Gremlin bodies. Of course this car is much smaller than those.

I am playing with a side curtain idea. I'm thinking of a piece of clear acrylic attached to the edge of the top-gullwing door and hinged so as to create sort of a bifold effect using simple clips to hold it in at the bottom. This whole top Idea was kinda of sudden. I just playing around with it. The car is so much fun to drive, I need some way to drive in the winter. We don't have Chicago type winters
here, but it does get rather cold. Was 26 this morning. A little too cold for me without a top.

PostPosted: November 17, 2014, 11:07 am 

great build.. i didnt realize there was another locost in my area.

PostPosted: November 26, 2014, 9:07 pm 

Well, the last top I made wasn't all that great so I decided to try again. Here are photos of the latest top. Some photos are when I still had the Clecos and protective film on the panels. My neighbor named it the Porcupine.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: November 26, 2014, 9:30 pm 

Another thing I have done to the car is change the windshield. I had been thinking of a curved windshield, especially since looking at the Donkervoort. I looked around to see what was available but wasn't successful in finding anything that would work, so I started looking for someone who could cut down a curved windshield. I called several glass shops, but didn't find anyone who could do it. I then decided to check with some of the local hot rod guys. Going this route, I found a guy who knew a guy who could do it. I made a template and we used a Chevy pickup windshield. I was happy with the result. I'll post some photos of it soon.

PostPosted: November 27, 2014, 4:11 pm 

photoman wrote:
I made a template and we used a Chevy pickup windshield. I was happy with the result. I'll post some photos of it soon.
C'mon, man, it's been almost twenty four hours! Te game can wait--get off that couch and take some photos, before the tryptophan in the turkey sends you to the land of nod. Enquiring minds want to know! :D

Also, do you get any rippling or oil canning in the roof at speed? How is it braced in the inside (I deduce from the clecos that there is some structure that doesn't show in the photos)?

PostPosted: November 27, 2014, 6:27 pm 

JackMcCornack wrote:
photoman wrote:
I made a template and we used a Chevy pickup windshield. I was happy with the result. I'll post some photos of it soon.
C'mon, man, it's been almost twenty four hours! Te game can wait--get off that couch and take some photos, before the tryptophan in the turkey sends you to the land of nod. Enquiring minds want to know! :D

Also, do you get any rippling or oil canning in the roof at speed? How is it braced in the inside (I deduce from the clecos that there is some structure that doesn't show in the photos)?

I did get some oil canning at first so I added a few more rivets, which eliminated it. There is a problem at the moment with whistling. I mean real whistling, from small air leaks at the front edge. Since I just got the top finished, I haven't had time to sort them out. Will do soon. Actually, I think I can use some caulking from the inside and probably solve the problem. Time will tell.
To answer your question, yes, there is a frame to which the panels are attached. I will take more detailed photographs a little later.

PostPosted: November 27, 2014, 8:12 pm 

Who cut your windshield and how much did it cost?

PostPosted: November 28, 2014, 10:47 am 

mkejim wrote:
Who cut your windshield and how much did it cost?

A local glass shop about 25 miles from me. The guy is a "car guy" so he had some experience doing it. He charged me $125 to do the cut and I furnished the glass. One caveat he had was that there is no guarantee concerning breakage. I bought a used windshield from a salvage yard for $40. He told me what kind of windshield to get. It had to be an older one not the glue in type. I don't know why. All in all I was satisfied. My flat windshield which I had at first only cost about $85 but I like the curved one better, and would be willing to pay the higher price again, even up to about $250. One other thing to consider is the frame. It is more difficult to make if you are using the standard aluminum channel which most people use. I would consider making the channel out of mild steel and use silicone to hold the glass in.

PostPosted: November 30, 2014, 10:22 pm 

What model Chevy pickup window? And we're begging you, [RogerRabbitVoice] puLEEEZE [/RogerRabbitVoice] do photos soon.

PostPosted: December 1, 2014, 6:49 pm 

JackMcCornack wrote:
What model Chevy pickup window? And we're begging you, [RogerRabbitVoice] puLEEEZE [/RogerRabbitVoice] do photos soon.

It was a 1978 Chevy, but I don't think it would matter as long as it was an older one which used only a rubber gasket rather than glue for the original install. One other thing, the curve doesn't look very pronounced once it is cut down, since you are using only a small section of the larger Chevy glass, but it is noticeable.

Here are a few, not very good photos. I will take some better ones after our weather clears and I remove the top. I first made a template using flat stock. I don't know the curvature in degrees but the center is 11/2 inches forward of the sides as shown in the photo of the template on the table.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 297 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20