LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 1:53 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Joe's S7000
PostPosted: January 19, 2011, 12:55 am 

Yeah, I was wondering why it's so hard to find a shopping cart sometimes, now I know why :D

Seriously, I had the same idea because I've got a couple of engines that could use dollies. Hopefully I'll find some rusty abandoned ones so I won't feel guilty about hacking them up.

You're at a great stage now. You see some results really quickly. In no time at all you'll be sitting in the frame on the build table making vroom-vromm sounds.

Ron

PostPosted: January 19, 2011, 3:46 am 

krepus wrote:
Question 1: is that a 510 in the corner?

I don't know why I labeled that question 1 because at the moment, I don't have any more questions... I would like compliment your engine dolly however... never would have thought of that! Awesome progress...!

Indeed, it is a 510. In fact one of the rarest 510's, an unmolested 510. It's the classic all original granny car with a 3 speed automatic, working AC and 1.6L. I bought it site unseen to build the "ultimate" 510, but when it arrived it was just to damn nice to tear into. I cleaned it up and took it to a couple of shows and actually won an ribbon and a trophy! After that I really couldn't bring myself to modify it (Which brought me to building a Locost.); so it sits in the garage most days and every once in a while I'll take it for a mellow cruise. It still brings a smile to my face when I drive it, just a different kind of smile than my VG30 V6 powered 510 did.

The shopping cart is very handy and I highly recommend it. Unfortunately I can't take the credit for thinking of it. I went to purchase a Datsun L20b engine and found it sitting on the cart. I made sure it was part of the deal and since then it's gotten more use than the engine.

PostPosted: January 19, 2011, 4:09 am 

oldejack wrote:
510? look at that leetle red pickup!?!! I haven't seen one of those since I lived near Guerneville back in the 80's 8)
And a local too, I'm over near the Mormon Temple (that concrete behemoth in the East Bay hills if you haven't been introduced, its worth a trip thru their visitors center).
Vicman NG at Metric Motorsport in El Sobrante (or is it Pinole?) is someone you need to meet, if you want an intro drop me a line, I've known him for years and owe him a lunch. ..

That's a 1960 Datsun 1200 Pickup. It's pretty rare for sure! I no longer own it. After storing it for 20 years, I gave it back to my cousin who originally gave it to me when I was 13 as my first project. Needless to say as a 13 year old the only thing I did with it is the same thing I've done with my locost, sit in it and make vroom vroom noises.

The Mormon Temple is usually at the beginning or end of a spirited drive through Redwood Regional Park for me. ;-)
We should definitely get together and check out our projects, PM me. That goes for anyone else that's in the area.

PostPosted: January 19, 2011, 4:14 am 

KB58 wrote:
With the drivetrain out of the car, now would be a VERY good time to weigh both the engine/tranny and rear end. The information goes a long way toward working out your total weight, weight distribution, and provides yet another data point in the ever-frustrating what's-a-drivetrain-really-weight thread.

Will do! I just ordered a scale from Harbor Freight. We'll see how useful it is.
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=11827
BTW, your book has been a great inspiration and wealth of knowledge for me. Thanks!

PostPosted: January 19, 2011, 4:21 am 

Thanks for the support everyone! I'll keep you posted on the progress. I've been inspired by all your projects and hope to return the favor and contribute to Locost community.

I jumped on the table and started making vroom vroom noises as soon as I was done with drawing of the bottom rails. :-)

In a perfect world I would dry sump the F22C without hesitation. Even though the low cost concept of the project seems to have been thrown out of the window when I decided to go with the S2000 as the donor, I still want to control costs as much as possible and can't rationalize the additional cost of a dry sump. At least not yet. If anyone knows of a locost dry sump system for the F22C let me know.

Along the lines of trade offs due to cost savings, I plan on using the rims, brakes, spindles, half shafts and rear end from the donor. All decidedly heavy, particularly the unsprung bits. It'll at least be an interesting experiment in unsprung to sprung weight ratios.

PostPosted: January 19, 2011, 12:48 pm 

Don't use the rear subframe and A-arms. Make your frame so you can mount the pumpkin
to the frame and make the rear A-arms. A bit more work but you will save a LOT of weight
and get better geometry for a track car. The S2000 has anti-dive and squat which makes
the car a bit twitchy at the limit. Not bad but it snaps quicker than it should. Remember,
I had an S2000

2002 Toyota Tacoma
1999 BMW M3

PostPosted: January 27, 2011, 11:28 pm 

Hi Joe

Like what bremms has suggested, ditch the subframe and make your own arms and diff cradle. You'll save a lot of weight.

Get back in the shed. We want to see more progress pics. = )

Good thing you got the complete wiring loom from the donor car. I was missing the loom connecting up to the main under hood fuse box, what a nightmare, however I did manage to work out where each wire went. It cranks! :lol:

Cheers
Steve

PostPosted: January 14, 2013, 9:15 am 

Good luck with the build I just picked up a F22C so I will be watching closely. Hopefully we can swap ideas along the way.

Scrap Metal Build Log viewtopic.php?f=35&t=14558

PostPosted: January 14, 2013, 3:33 pm 
Always Moore!

Since he hasn't posted since January of 2011, I think the wife may have done him in for using the stove as a welding cart. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: January 14, 2013, 4:56 pm 
We are Slotus!

a.moore wrote:
Since he hasn't posted since January of 2011, I think the wife may have done him in for using the stove as a welding cart. :mrgreen:

Poor guy... You put one little welder in the kitchen, or a couple of fenders in the dining room, and women get all p*ssy about it... Geeze...

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: January 14, 2013, 9:10 pm 

Shame, I never checked the date I was just looking for people with the same engine. I guess if I want spare S2000 engine parts I know where too look.

Scrap Metal Build Log viewtopic.php?f=35&t=14558

PostPosted: March 26, 2013, 6:25 pm 

Wow! You don't post for a couple of years and it ignites crazy theories about wives, fenders and abandoned projects! LOL!

I'm still alive and so is the project. I got distracted with building and racing a 1986 RX7 for the 24 Hours of LeMons with some friends, as well as by some other things.

The S7000 isn't a priority so I'm slowly plugging away at it. I'll update with some photos soon, but the frame is three dimensional now and the motor and tranny are set in place. Mounts, tunnel and pedals are next up.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: March 26, 2013, 9:33 pm 

datsunjoe wrote:
The Mormon Temple is usually at the beginning or end of a spirited drive through Redwood Regional Park for me. ;-)
We should definitely get together and check out our projects, PM me. That goes for anyone else that's in the area.

Hey wait a minute!!!

After mumblemumble time I finally notice that statement. ..
I can throw a rock into the Skyline High parking lot from my front porch and lived on Carmel off of Lincoln before I moved here!

PostPosted: March 26, 2013, 9:55 pm 

Hey Jack-

Quote:
Hey wait a minute!!!

After mumblemumble time I finally notice that statement. ..
I can throw a rock into the Skyline High parking lot from my front porch and lived on Carmel off of Lincoln before I moved here!

I used to live just off Maple Ave. and Carmel, back in the old days. Am now in Livermore. If you and DatsunJoe would like to get together for a "show and tell" let me know.

Roy

PostPosted: March 27, 2013, 12:25 am 

Haha I went to the prison on the hill there. Back then their wasn't any houses anywhere near and I rode my Matchless down the center horse trail to school everyday.

Yep I got a build: