LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently May 14, 2024, 9:13 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Joe's S7000
PostPosted: March 29, 2013, 6:15 pm 

I'm in for a show and tell! I could use the inspiration. PM me, spread the word and let's get a little Bay Area get together going!

PostPosted: April 11, 2013, 2:11 am 

I know it's been dug up from the grave but the rear suspension. aside from the not that great geometry (honestly it isn't that bad)

it is fairly heavy... but more than anything - that sucker is SO LONG. you'll end up with a wheelbase that goes beyond 'sorta long but fine' to woah too long

Buy my car! - F20C Race car

PostPosted: April 11, 2013, 5:27 pm 

Tongboy wrote:
I know it's been dug up from the grave but the rear suspension. aside from the not that great geometry (honestly it isn't that bad)

it is fairly heavy... but more than anything - that sucker is SO LONG. you'll end up with a wheelbase that goes beyond 'sorta long but fine' to woah too long

I am facing that problem at the moment but most of the guys I have spoken to about the 7's say that they are tricky to drive as you are virtually sitting on the back axle. I an planning to sit 12"-18" further forward which I hope will make it more predictable when driving. You can however get the front facing lower control arms tucked under the curvature of the seat which will only add a few inches to the length of the standard locost..

Scrap Metal Build Log viewtopic.php?f=35&t=14558

PostPosted: April 11, 2013, 10:46 pm 

wrightcomputing wrote:
Tongboy wrote:

I am facing that problem at the moment but most of the guys I have spoken to about the 7's say that they are tricky to drive as you are virtually sitting on the back axle. I an planning to sit 12"-18" further forward which I hope will make it more predictable when driving. You can however get the front facing lower control arms tucked under the curvature of the seat which will only add a few inches to the length of the standard locost..

I'd disagree that 7's are tricky to drive because you sit back. I do think it takes getting used to - even moving the car around the shop it's different... but there are a lot of other cars where you sit pretty far back in the car compared to the front- not quite as extreme as a 7 but more so than a normal car. A lot of pony cars feel similar - not much of a trunk or seating area behind you and a giant hood.

as long as your weight balance isn't off and you don't have way too long of a wheel base it's all just about learning to drive from a different perspective than a normal car. I'd imagine it would be comparable to adjusting to the position in a single seater compared to a side-seat car.

Buy my car! - F20C Race car

PostPosted: April 11, 2013, 11:47 pm 

wrightcomputing wrote:
as long as your weight balance isn't off and you don't have way too long of a wheel base it's all just about learning to drive from a different perspective than a normal car. I'd imagine it would be comparable to adjusting to the position in a single seater compared to a side-seat car.

Or going from a type one Beetle to a Lincoln MK4. ..

PostPosted: April 12, 2013, 7:50 am 
We are Slotus!

So far, sad to say, I have only limited seat time in the Slotus. I don't find the rearward seating position a problem. What I DO find a problem is that it is a great deal wider than the MGB race car I came from. It makes placing the car difficult, especially on right hand turns. Also, it has surprised me how distracting that left front wheel is, since I can see it moving up and down with the suspension! What's that? No, I don't have ADH... SQUIRREL!!!

:cheers:
JDK

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: April 13, 2013, 5:29 pm 
Always Moore!

I'd say the "difficult" part about any 7 is that its more racecar than production. At the limit things happen quickly and your brain needs to adapt. When the car starts to seem slow you will start getting quicker.