LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 16, 2024, 1:05 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 146 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next
PostPosted: January 25, 2011, 12:13 am 

I'd say not only slope the N tubes but also make them out of 1" round tube. So much more like a real 7 and more comfortable to rest your arm on than a square tube.

Ron

PostPosted: January 25, 2011, 8:20 pm 

Well I met with the guys at U-High today and it was a pleasure meeting them. What a nice bunch of young fellas. What they have accomplished so far is very nice. The precision of the cuts is very good and they have been using the mill to cut the angles to ensure they are exact. Gave a couple of pointers and had an overall good decussion with them. It was great to see how the teacher (Cory) and the boys are all thinking along the same lines. I am going to drop back from time to time and when the weather gets better I will take mine over so they can have a look at a finished one and take some rides. I am impressed so far, keep up the good work guys.
:cheers: RB

PostPosted: January 25, 2011, 8:53 pm 

Earley Motorsports wrote:
Well I met with the guys at U-High today and it was a pleasure meeting them. What a nice bunch of young fellas. What they have accomplished so far is very nice. The precision of the cuts is very good and they have been using the mill to cut the angles to ensure they are exact. Gave a couple of pointers and had an overall good decussion with them. It was great to see how the teacher (Cory) and the boys are all thinking along the same lines. I am going to drop back from time to time and when the weather gets better I will take mine over so they can have a look at a finished one and take some rides. I am impressed so far, keep up the good work guys.
:cheers: RB

thanks graham. your tips were very helpful and gave us alot to think about. :)

PostPosted: January 28, 2011, 12:10 am 

Today i worked on getting the compound angles cut for la and lb pieces using the horizontal mill, they turned out great which helped make today a pretty good 17th bday :D :D . Well im working on that, the other 2 people are working on putting the n tubes at an angle which had been suggested.
Blackbird wrote:
With that said, in the Lotus / Caterham cars, the horizontal tube that defines the shape of the cockpit isn't horizontal at all, it is actually sloping down towards the rear.

So far im very happy with our progress even tho we are still trying to get a donor (hopefully donated) :P

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: January 31, 2011, 9:34 pm 

My teacher decided to do some tack welding over the weekend and i finished tacking j2 and one of the h pieces in place, the frame is really starting to take shape.
There is a big snowstorm coming in tonight and will have anywhere from 12-22 inches of snow by Wednesday so there is a chance that we wont have school tomorrow or Wednesday, so there might not be much work done this week.

Today we decided to take the frame off of the particle board because the wood was starting to warp and we will be using the concrete floor as a reference to keep the frame flat.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: January 31, 2011, 10:54 pm 
The voice of reason

I'll bet you can almost picture a car there! Looking forward to more...

PostPosted: February 1, 2011, 1:30 am 

Dang you guys have an awesome shop and teacher! At my school the shop students' main activities during class were getting high and breaking things.

I didn't take shop class because of that :(

Looks great, good luck with the donor!

PostPosted: February 5, 2011, 1:36 am 

After 3 days of no school because of 13 inches of snow and lots of wind i finally got to do some more work.
the frame continues to take shape and we are still searching for a donor.

PostPosted: February 12, 2011, 7:40 pm 

Now we are starting to add extra bracing in parts of the frame well we wait for a donor. We are also starting to work on tig welding.
Yesterday we had one students' older brother who does some welding for caterpillar help teach us some welding.

PostPosted: February 22, 2011, 2:55 pm 

Today i got to start fully welding parts of the frame with the tig welder.
Still waiting on a donor but things are starting to look good.

PostPosted: February 22, 2011, 4:17 pm 
The voice of reason

It's great you've found a way to make education so practical and fun! You learn way more when it's so interesting, I'll bet you don't have any trouble putting thought into this. :cheers:

PostPosted: February 25, 2011, 3:51 pm 

horizenjob wrote:
It's great you've found a way to make education so practical and fun! You learn way more when it's so interesting, I'll bet you don't have any trouble putting thought into this. :cheers:

Yea, It feels like i learn things much faster when it is something that I enjoy doing.

I will probobly be done doing the final welding of the frame (minus the transmission tunnle andeverything behind the cockpit) by next friday. As of right now i am the only student who has done enough practice tig welding to weld on the frame.

PostPosted: February 25, 2011, 4:07 pm 

When you get through Tig welding that frame you can teach me how to Tig. Why couldn't I have gone to your school. Now that is a SCHOOL!!!! Russ

PostPosted: February 25, 2011, 7:25 pm 

trialsmangasgas wrote:
Why couldn't I have gone to your school. Now that is a SCHOOL!!!! Russ

haha i love tig welding. :D Up until about a month and a half ago i had never touched a tig welder.
our tech department was completely rebuilt 3 years ago and was finished my freshman year and this is our first big project since the rebuild i think.

PostPosted: March 3, 2011, 7:35 pm 

I will most likely finish the final welding on the front part of the frame tomorrow.
we are still looking for a donor car and we have found a cheap 1983 porsche 944 and a cheap miata near St. LouisThe thing that we like about the 944 is the 2.5 liter engine with more power than the miata. Another thing would be the bragging rights of a porsche drivetrain :D but the downside is the transaxle may require more work. Any ideas?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 146 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next