LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 28, 2024, 8:12 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 146 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
PostPosted: November 22, 2011, 4:30 pm 

Some adjustablity in the rear suspension is needed. Being able to adjust toe and camber is VERY important.
Or am I missing something in the pics?

2002 Toyota Tacoma
1999 BMW M3

PostPosted: November 30, 2011, 9:24 pm 

We won't have any toe adjustment but there is some camber adjustment. The rear suspension is lined up perfectly and fully welded.
Now we are working on mounting the front suspension

PostPosted: November 30, 2011, 10:47 pm 
The voice of reason

Over time and depending on things like who's driving it and pot holes etc. it may need adjustment. You can just build new wishbones then.

PostPosted: December 9, 2011, 8:10 pm 

Or possibly eccentric washers and slotted holes.
:cheers:

PostPosted: December 12, 2011, 7:32 pm 

The rear suspension is Completely mounted with coil over shocks. Almost have the front mounted, expect that to be tacked to the frame tomorrow.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: December 21, 2011, 12:15 am 

Today was the last day of the semester and we have a roller. after the break we will work on getting the diff mounted and the other engine related parts mounted.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: December 21, 2011, 9:15 am 

Looking good and congratulations for having it sitting on the ground. Great job and very nice work.

PostPosted: December 21, 2011, 11:03 am 
We are Slotus!

Congratulations on "Roller Day"! You're gonna have a car before long! Looking good, keep up the good work.

Merry Christmas!

JDK

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: December 21, 2011, 3:23 pm 
Mid-Engined Maniac

tpark94 wrote:
We won't have any [rear] toe adjustment...

There will always be some toe-in or toe-out on bump, and depending on design, construction, driver skill, and luck, it'll range somewhere between perfection and completely undrivable. Having it adjustable allows tuning out the above variables, so what you have now is up to chance and driver preference.

PostPosted: January 7, 2012, 11:35 pm 

We'll take a serious look at adding toe adjustment to the rear.

There are still a couple of things that I don't understand here:
- How can two parallel linkages create toe changes on bump? The only way I can see that happening is if there is misalignment in the pivots. It seems that compliance in the bushings is going to be a much greater factor.

- What's the usual way of adjusting toe with bushed arms? I know there's a bushing with a threaded stud available, but I don't think that's common. Graham mentioned slotted holes and adjustment washers, which seems a good route. But there's a lot of IRS cars out there without Heims (maybe more on the road than the track), so what are they doing?

PostPosted: March 21, 2012, 11:49 pm 

It's been a while since our last update, but the project has moved forward greatly. we now have the driveshaft cut and welded, seats mounted, diff mounted, complete steering(minus longer control arms), working pedals, break lines ready to be installed after frame is painted, and the fire wall being constructed.

we shortened the miata steering rack as well as the shaft that comes off of the wheel by a lot and now have it mounted in the car and it turns smoothly.
By the end of the week we will hopefully start taking everything back off of the frame so we can prep and paint it before reassembling it and moving toward having a running car. :)

I hope to be able to drive the car before i graduate on May 20th. :cheers:

PostPosted: March 22, 2012, 12:26 am 
The voice of reason

What a graduation present! Make sure you get a floor in first so that you don't land up with a leg dragged under the car in a parking lot. :) It looks like you'll have it running, but don't get discouraged if you have a lot of details left. I hope you're proud of this effort it's really quite an accomplishment.

:cheers:

PostPosted: March 24, 2012, 7:41 am 

Man.... I spent all my time in HS playing with programming computers and look at me now... All I use it for is email and inventory management!!!

If I had been able to play with something like this in HS I just have to wonder what I'd be doing today, because it sure wouldn't be what I'm doing now!!

Congrats on a great looking project! :cheers: <= That's Root Beer for you!!!

KS

Check out Firearm Finishes & Coating for options to ceramic coat your Locost parts. Hundreds of stock or custom colors including Chrome and Clear Coating options now available! High Temp options for hot bits!! Plastics too!!

Never become a pessimist. A pessimist is correct oftener than an optimist, but an optimist has more fun, and neither can stop the march of events.-Robert A. Heinlein

PostPosted: March 25, 2012, 7:28 pm 

I was able to take my car to autocross this weekend and had a great time. Makes me look forward to coming back in the future to race the car when it is finished.

PostPosted: May 4, 2012, 11:01 pm 

The guys haven't been posting recently - mainly because they've been working like crazy to get the car running by Memorial Day when they finish school. I decided to take a few pictures and update the build log for them.
First pic shows the car stripped down for wiring and brake lines. We were going to paint it, but realized that there will still be a lot to do on the frame. Plus, paint won't get us rolling...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 146 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next