LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 31, 2020, 3:12 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Cobb's Miata based build
PostPosted: November 2, 2010, 8:00 pm 

I have obtained the donor, a 1993 Miata. Thanks to Michael and my unoffical sponsor, ApexET.com, I aquired the vehicle for the low cost of NADA! :lol:
Attachment:
DSC_0002.gif
DSC_0002.gif [ 354.97 KiB | Viewed 4602 times ]

Attachment:
DSC_0003.gif
DSC_0003.gif [ 350.06 KiB | Viewed 4602 times ]

Attachment:
DSC_0005.gif
DSC_0005.gif [ 407.77 KiB | Viewed 4602 times ]

Next great challenge is physical space. I will have to really get get into my garage over the next few days and clear out the needed room for the project.

Winter is coming so I expect progress to be kind of slow. I want to pull the needed parts from the Miata and deal with what is left over (anybody need parts for their daily driver). Once this is done I will start on the frame in earnest. Still not sure what size frame I will go with. I will probably want to use prefabed body parts so I will see what is out there for what frames and make a decision (I am open to suggestions).

Well, off to the races!

Last edited by don.cobb on November 11, 2010, 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: November 2, 2010, 8:09 pm 

don.cobb wrote:
I have obtained the donor, a 1993 Miata. Thanks to Michael and my unoffical sponsor, ApexET.com, I aquired the vehicle for the low cost of NADA! :lol:
Slick deal! That looks like a perfect donor car: mechanicals look beautiful, but has a body with four colors.

Enjoy the journey! What frame are you going with?

-Matt

PostPosted: November 2, 2010, 9:59 pm 

What a deal!! I thought my doner was a good deal at $100. Looks like a nice car.

PostPosted: November 2, 2010, 11:23 pm 

you can't have much winter to worry about in Arkansas, come up here to Canada

PostPosted: November 3, 2010, 11:25 am 
We are Slotus!

Yo, Don-
Welcome to the group! Looks like an auspicious start, good donor car for free, ya just can't beat that!

I feel your pain on the garage thing. I've been cleaning out mine for what seems like months (actually two half-days on two weekends) and the junk seems to grow while I'm sleeping! Hang in there, you'll get it going soon...

:cheers:
Good Luck-
JD Kemp

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: November 3, 2010, 2:02 pm 

Free donor is an amazing start, even better then mine, the only advantage I have is I get a story with mine. You need to make up a strong story..... everything needs a story. :cheers:

1999 Dajiban build
Autcross car currently 2009 Mazda RX8 R3.

Build is a plus 4" width, 13B Renesis. Wish me luck.

PostPosted: November 3, 2010, 2:54 pm 

Something along the lines of:

I saw an ad on Craigslist for this Miata. I contacted the seller but it had already been sold. I guess I lost out. A week later the owner contacted me and asked if I was still interested in it. I said sure, what happened to the previous deal?

He said he had sold the car. But the buyer was out of the country on vacation. The buyer sent me a Money Order for $500 over the asking price, plus the funds for me to pay his shipper. All I had to do was to hold the car for a week until the shipper picked up the car.

The seller went on to say that he was out of jail on bond awaiting sentencing for money laundering. While he was out on bond, he had done a few more questionable deals and knew the police were looking for him. He wasn’t going to be on “the outside” for much longer. If I could come and pickup the car, he would sign over the title free, no charge, to me since the car was essentially already paid for.

Well I got over there immediately to pick up the car before somebody else got the chance. Everything was as described. The car was just perfect for the Locost donor and it was certainly the right price. He signed over the papers. As I was tying down my new car to the trailer in the street, the police showed up with lights-a-flashing and took the seller off in handcuffs. I had made it there just in time.

As I was pulling away from the stop sign at the end of his block, what did I see but an empty car carrier headed in the opposite direction……..

A story something like that!

Welcome to the club Don. Nice donor there. The trip has just begun. Keep us up to date on your project.

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

PostPosted: November 3, 2010, 3:36 pm 

Sorry I don't mean to get so off topic but that story is so much better then I could have made up. you should write childrens books with that imagination.... wait crime was involved, you should write motivational books :D

As for my story I bought a car as a winter beater, donated to a school afterwards then made more then I spent with the income tax savings, and recieved most of the parts back for free (engine, tranny, diff. and front sub frame with shocks.) .This story is however true.

1999 Dajiban build
Autcross car currently 2009 Mazda RX8 R3.

Build is a plus 4" width, 13B Renesis. Wish me luck.

PostPosted: November 3, 2010, 4:33 pm 

Wow, that engine looks good! It even has the Racing Beat intake that I paid $150 for many years ago.

I grew up in Fayetteville, went to UofA, and now live in TX. Seems like you and I switched places.

Greg

PostPosted: November 4, 2010, 12:37 am 

Well, about the only story I can give is this: The car as seen in the pictures belonged to my cousin-in-law. He got the car a few years ago to tinker with and has put a lot of work into it but decided that he didn’t have the time nor did he want to incur the expense of repainting the vehicle. The solution was to give it to me to build a Locost. You might have seen the “unofficial sponsor” title I gave this individual and his company ApexET.com. Well the rest of the story (and this might explain why the engine looks so good) is that Michael (owner of ApexET) works for Stewart-Haas Racing (Tony Stewart of NASCAR). He does seem to know his way around a car! He will also blush if/when he reads this.

BTW I did make some progress on the work space issue.

Thanks for the welcome guys :cheers:

PostPosted: November 4, 2010, 6:21 am 

rx7locost, you forgot the ending, which deals with actual money (profit) and is the most important. "Got that sucker home and began disassembly. Pulled the passengers seat and found a paper bag full of 100's. Looks llke it will be enough to pay for the Locost."

You know, sort of like the perfect country song can't leave out jail, pickups, trains, death and momma.

Bill

PostPosted: November 4, 2010, 2:01 pm 

BBlue wrote:
rx7locost, you forgot the ending, which deals with actual money (profit) and is the most important. "Got that sucker home and began disassembly. Pulled the passengers seat and found a paper bag full of 100's. Looks llke it will be enough to pay for the Locost."

You know, sort of like the perfect country song can't leave out jail, pickups, trains, death and momma.

Bill

"Covered in some strange white powder, not worried though, don't think it's anthrax. Just smells funny"

(PS: Sorry for hijacking thread further, the build looks like it's off to a great start!)

PostPosted: November 4, 2010, 8:21 pm 

I need a pair of window switches when you get the car apart.

PostPosted: November 4, 2010, 10:00 pm 
Toyotaphobe

reddeth wrote:

Bill

"Covered in some strange white powder, not worried though, don't think it's anthrax. Just smells funny"

[/quote]

It smells funny? Really? What does it smell like?

Ya learn the most unusual things in the most unusual places.

I can explain it to you,
but I can't understand it for you.

PostPosted: November 11, 2010, 12:44 pm 

Ok, the garage is almost clean and ready for a build table. I like dhempy's build table design and am going with that (unless some one can talk me out of it). Unfortunately I do not have a gurney supply house near but I do like the idea of wheels. I will have to incorporate wheels if possible. This raises the question of the table being level and I assume that is important at some point. My garage has a slight grade to it (presumably for water run off) so maybe no wheels. What do y'all think?

I have been able to sell a few Miata pieces via the Miata Forum and eBay. Hopefully this trend will continue. I am trying to keep a really good record of the costs associated with this project. Not that it really makes a difference but perhaps it will come in handy in the future.

I will get some pictures of the clean garage and build table ASAP.

See ya on the road