LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 16, 2024, 1:37 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 117 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
PostPosted: November 8, 2011, 2:06 am 

Quote:
So, where did you get those? Or where can I get those?

You can get them here Whitby Motorcars
Not lo cost though.

Yep I got a build:

PostPosted: November 21, 2011, 5:35 pm 

:D :D :D
WHOO HOO, GIGITTY and all them other fancy words. Never saw this one coming.
So I cruise down to the local DMV today to find out about starting the registration process and.........
We are now the proud owner of Seq #429
Yep we got our sb100 and it looks like there is still 71 left so if your worrying about January I'd be taking the next available appointment and avoid the rush. Other than standing at the counter for 70 mins it was quite painless. DMV was quite helpfull and I think they actually liked doing something different for a change. They kept apologizing for how long it was taking.

Yep I got a build:

PostPosted: November 21, 2011, 10:36 pm 
Always Moore!

Congratulations. Almost there. ;)

PostPosted: November 27, 2011, 7:27 pm 

After redoing most of the back I'm finally ready to start the rear suspension. Why you ask well those big old axles didn't clear the lower frame tube and I changed the rear design so it wasn't in the right place anyway. Plus I added more bracing. I also remade the rear diff mounts and put the lower in double shear.
Got my new steering rack the other day also.
So on to making suspension mounting brackets next.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Yep I got a build:

PostPosted: November 29, 2011, 7:53 pm 

Dat Da Daaaa! Bracket man been around today. Only 8 more to make for the frame. And weld washers in and ream the holes to size. Bend and weld the tubes and make shock mounts. Oh well its a start on the rear suspension. Now I'm depressed.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Yep I got a build:

PostPosted: December 16, 2011, 2:06 am 

More changes before I mount the suspension. Didn't like the cockpit fit so moved the harness bar back 3 1/2" so now the seat can go back and legs aren't as bent now. Also redid the door bars. The seat and the trans tunnel were fighting it out for space since the side tubing was cutting into the inside of the cockpit. New door bars are 1" further out at the center which gives me back the full inside. Also have the pedal mounts made up and a jog in the upper frame so the steering shaft clears the frame just need welded in.

Yep I got a build:

PostPosted: February 2, 2012, 9:33 pm 

Well you ain't got rid of me yet. It's been awhile since I posted anything. Still putting along just haven't been keeping up. First part of January The front half just wasn't working out right so cut everything off at the front hoop and redid it. As a added bonus it's also much flatter this time.
Got the rear a-arms made and starting on the front ones. Also doing the seat mount and steering shaft mount.
Maybe some more pics after the weekend.

Yep I got a build:

PostPosted: February 3, 2012, 9:42 am 
We are Slotus!

Yo Dean!
Nice progress! The LCAs for the back look real good, nice work! (You'll never lose those axle shafts either...)

As you mentioned, the "do-over" on the front end of the chassis came out flatter this time. In another thread, one member (kikiturbo? maybe?) said that the trick to building a straight/flat chassis was to build it in sections. You may have independently verified that! Either way, it got better, and that's good!

Keep us posted, it's lookin' good!
:cheers:
JDK

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: February 4, 2012, 2:16 am 

Yo JD!
The rebuild had more to do with front suspension design changes and body fitment. But if I started another one I'd do the cage first it really pulled on that .065 tubing in weird ways.

Yep I got a build:

PostPosted: February 4, 2012, 5:19 pm 

dm2play wrote:
Dat Da Daaaa! Bracket man been around today. Only 8 more to make for the frame. And weld washers in and ream the holes to size. Bend and weld the tubes and make shock mounts. Oh well its a start on the rear suspension. Now I'm depressed.

Your brackets look very nice. Are they thicker than 1/8"? It's hard to tell from just the photos. What did you bend them with?

Cheers,

Lonnie

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: February 4, 2012, 9:18 pm 

Lonnie-S

Yes it's 1/8" thick and a not a problem to bend it at all. I just got 3" box tubing and cut a few slices off and cut them out of it.

Yep I got a build:

PostPosted: February 4, 2012, 9:30 pm 

Moving right along I got the steering mount made and tacked in.
Got 1 front a-arm tacked up so I could assemble the front and figure out what to do about the front suspension and finish bracing the front before I weld on the arm pickups. Also found out I guessed wrong on the upper swedged tube lengths. :oops:
Now to figure out regular or inboard coilovers on the front. Have all the ratios and lengths figured out just have to workout over or under the top rail or just take the easy way and mount them outboard.

Yep I got a build:

PostPosted: February 6, 2012, 12:20 pm 
Always Moore!

Will you be angling the inboard brackets for the front upper arms more towards the arm? It looks like the rod-end may not have enough throw.

PostPosted: February 6, 2012, 8:10 pm 

Quote:
Will you be angling the inboard brackets for the front upper arms more towards the arm? It looks like the rod-end may not have enough throw.

No actually the rod ends will be turned 90 degrees their 63 degree misalignment ends. Since the rod end is the same width as the frame rail it just made for a easy mockup.

Hmm easy way with 45 angle or inboard still can't decide.

Yep I got a build:

PostPosted: February 14, 2012, 9:19 pm 

Hey some more progress. Got the front rocker arms made so I guess ya know which way I went. No those aren't bushings they are slugs to to keep the sleeve from distorting and made to installation size for mockup. Don't wanna pull the bearings back out to get them plated. Gonna use 2 #10 spherical bearings in each. If everything gets mounted where it's designed should be 1.003 to 1. On to the mounts for them next.

Yep I got a build:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 117 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next