LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 16, 2024, 1:21 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 228 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 16  Next
PostPosted: June 6, 2011, 1:15 am 

Your build is looking good already!

Of course, if you think it looks small & narrow now, wait until you start trying to fit a pedal box in there (guess what I was doing today?). It's almost 4" narrower than the box in my Miata, and I have very wide feet. I've already realized I'm going to have to put a substantial "power bulge" (outward, toward the side of the trans) if I'm going to have nay hope of fitting a throttle pedal in there alongside my Wilwood brake & clutch pedals....but, it's all part of the fun!

Enjoy, and keep us posted! :cheers:

http://zetec7.webs.com/

PostPosted: June 6, 2011, 3:03 pm 
Toyotaphobe

zetec7 wrote:
Your build is looking good already!

Of course, if you think it looks small & narrow now, wait until you start trying to fit a pedal box in there (guess what I was doing today?). It's almost 4" narrower than the box in my Miata, and I have very wide feet. I've already realized I'm going to have to put a substantial "power bulge" (outward, toward the side of the trans) if I'm going to have nay hope of fitting a throttle pedal in there alongside my Wilwood brake & clutch pedals....but, it's all part of the fun!

Enjoy, and keep us posted! :cheers:

Be careful of moving the pedals too far off center. In an emergency you are likely to hit the wrong pedal.

I have driven a lot of Cobras and the ones with offset pedals are a lot harder to make go fast because the pedals aren't where they belong and it causes a hesitancy in the driver and downright FEAR when you are on the streets and the suddenly the car in front decides to stop.

I can explain it to you,
but I can't understand it for you.

PostPosted: June 6, 2011, 3:16 pm 

I maximized my pedal space. Instead of running one tube back for the tunnel
I made a straight section back from the firewall. Then an angled tube to the
driveshaft part of the tunnel, put the tunnel wall on the inside of the tubes.
Doing those two things gave me 1.75 inches more room in the footwell.
Huge difference. Or just build a box that bulges out into tunnel.

12 EE That's why!

2002 Toyota Tacoma
1999 BMW M3

PostPosted: June 6, 2011, 3:41 pm 
Toyotaphobe

bremms wrote:

12 EE That's why!

Now you're just bragging. I've heard those rumors about what big feet mean!

Surgery can fix that. "We have the technology to make you better, faster, stronger."

I can explain it to you,
but I can't understand it for you.

PostPosted: June 24, 2011, 1:03 am 

Sooo, ummmmn, I set myself on fire today :shock: !
Attachment:
100_5152.JPG

Glad I have your attention now.
Its been just over two weeks since my last post but I was waiting for a something noteworthy to post and most of what I'm doing at this point is 'grunt work' and although great fun most been there done that. I don't recall any one else inculding self ignition in thier buildog (if i am in error, stories please) so I think it qualifies.
I was using an angle grinder to to finish cutting though an 1/8" plate for the rear bulkhead top plate ( it's a 12" plate that I had cut as far as I could with my mitre saw :| ). I was looking over top of the grinder to see where i was cutting, so of course I had the grinder orientated so the sparks (sooo maaany sparks) would not be hitting me in the face. I felt the heat of the sparks hittng me when I looked down and saw my shirt erupt into flame (fuzzy cotton). Fortunatley I had my fire retardent jacket, umm, to put the flames out :BH: .
I only tell this story in the hope that others don't make the same mistake :oops: .

Aside from that little episode, I have made some progress.
Last week after returning from our little holiday,I managed four tubes upfront.
Attachment:
100_5051.JPG
I also decide it was high time I disassembled the from and rear subframes, as I would soon be offering up the diff and engine to the chassis. They needed to be washed 1st however, as they were covered in gooey undercoating that I did not want on the build table (and everything else). I packed them up along with the engine/tranny for a little trip to a nearby truck wash.
Attachment:
100_5063.JPG
Looked great when done.
Attachment:
100_5064.JPG
Attachment:
100_5071.JPG
Attachment:
100_5072.JPG
One thing I discovered after the cleansing was fresh lube on all the brakes sliders, along with thick pads and rotors. One less thing to do.
Attachment:
100_5065.JPG
Unfortuantly by the looks of the alternator belt, the timing belt has yet to be done. eh, win some loose some.
Attachment:
100_5075.JPG

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Build log http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=12374
Completed build showcase http://locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=16865

PostPosted: June 24, 2011, 1:55 am 

If you're not familiar with 1.6 miatas, here's some advice... when you change the timing belt, replace the crank pulley bolt and use loctite on it... mine has the dreaded short nose crank issue, an extra 45 degrees of timing retardation... lol! the guy I bought the car from re-used the old bolt and got less than 10k out of it...

PostPosted: June 24, 2011, 2:14 am 

Disassembling the subframes on the build table nessesitated unclamping and removing the frame fron the table. this was another one of those little moments. Like your child saying his/her 1st word ( I'm just taking a stab here, as my little girl, although she happily blabs away, has said nothing you would find in an english version of Websters).
Attachment:
100_5084.JPG
This left a gostly negative on the table.
Attachment:
100_5081.JPG
Got family out into the garage while I was working on the subframes. I'll have them grinding in no time :wink:.
Attachment:
100_5109.JPG
Once the subframes were done it was time to work on the backend of the frame. I have been giving the suspension more thought. Well most (too much :ack: ) of my thought, as this is the one area of this build that I have thought, for me, could cause the dreaded paralysis. So, in the interest of keeping up momentum, I am leaning (read- unless someone comes out and say DON'T DO IT, I'm do'in it) towards using Chet's #'s, as a starting point, for the front and rear suspension, as the information is there and I see my build as sort of a tribute ( the 'polite and correct' way to say I like what he's done, he's done a great job of documenting it, so I'll use what i can. Thanks Chet :cheers: afterall imitation is the sincerest form of flattery). Seems to have worked out well for both Chet and Jack, so I see no need to reinvent the wheel here as mine is not likely to be any rounder. I believe I have gathered up all the measurements and pick up points off the various topics. So before I torched myself I cut most of the rear tubes and fited up the bottom end.
Attachment:
100_5139.JPG
Attachment:
100_5153.JPG

Ztec7, Carguy123, and Bremms, thanks for the comments and insight. I'll be opening up the drivers footwell as much as posible once the engine is loacated. At leaset my feet havn't gotten significantly larger over the years. I plan on using the miata pedals. I see it has been done. ya now what they say about big feet (and big hands)? Ya, you know it....... could have been a clown :roll: .
Ztec, is your box 'book' or were you able to move it closer towards the transmision?
Back at er' in the morning. Yahoo!!
Chris

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Last edited by cboettch on July 5, 2011, 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: June 26, 2011, 12:08 am 

krepus wrote:
If you're not familiar with 1.6 miatas, here's some advice... when you change the timing belt, replace the crank pulley bolt and use loctite on it... mine has the dreaded short nose crank issue, an extra 45 degrees of timing retardation... lol! the guy I bought the car from re-used the old bolt and got less than 10k out of it...

Thanks Krepus, '45 degrees retardation' :BH: , sorry to here that man. At least you inherited the car that way and it wasn't your own doing. Ya I've read about it. All of my Miata's have been stubbies, but I've not yet had to change a belt, though my other wannabe donor has just ticked over 100k km, so any time know. It will be nice to run through it the 1st time with an engine on a stand.

PostPosted: June 26, 2011, 12:20 am 

cboettch wrote:
Disassembling the subframes on the build table nessesitated unclamping and removing the frame fron the table. this was another one of those little moments. Like your child saying his/her 1st word ( I'm just taking a stab here, as my little girl, although she happily blabs away, has said nothing you would find in an english version of Websters).
Attachment:
100_5084.JPG
This left a gostly negative on the table.
Attachment:
100_5081.JPG
Got family out into the garage while I was working on the subframes. I'll have them grinding in no time :wink:.
Attachment:
100_5109.JPG
Once the subframes were done it was time to work on the backend of thje frame. This meant making a decission on the direction to go regaring suspension. I have been giving the suspension more thought. Well most (too much :ack: ) of my thought, as this is the one area of this build that I have thought, for me, could cause the dreaded paralysis. Frankly, I had always been interested in building the car, and while I look forward to coming up with solutions for other aspects of the build , not so much in designing the suspension. This seems to be the biggest hold up and topic of concern on the board. This is supposed to be fun and not agravating. So, with that in mind and in the interest of keeping up momentum, I am leaning (read- unless someone comes out and say DON'T DO IT, I'm do'in it) towards using Chet's #'s for the front and rear suspension, as the information is there and I see my build as sort of a tribute ( the 'polite and correct' way to say I like what he's done, he's done a great job of documenting it, so I'll use what i can. Thanks Chet :cheers: Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery). Seems to have worked out well for both Chet and Jack, so I see no need to reinvent the wheel here as mine is not likely to be any rounder. If anyone has insight as to why I should not do this please speak up now. if not, that's the plan. I believe I have gathered up all the measurements and pick up points off the various topics. So before I torched myself I cut most of the rear tubes and fited up the bottom end.
Attachment:
100_5139.JPG
Attachment:
100_5153.JPG

Ztec7, Carguy123, and Bremms, thanks for the comments and insight. I'll be opening up the drivers footwell as much as posible once the engine is loacated. At leaset my feet havn't gotten significantly larger over the years. I plan on using the miata pedals. I see it has been done. ya now what they say about big feet (and big hands)? Ya, you know it....... could have been a clown :roll: .
Ztec, is your box 'book' or were you able to move it closer towards the transmision?
Back at er' in the morning. Yahoo!!
Chris

Hey Chris: Monte here, in Fresno CA.... Your smokin' shirt brought back "warm" memories of projects past!! Wonder how many of us have a similar picture and the experience of lighting oneself on fire with a torch or a grinder...... Welding spatter anyone!!?? Welcome to the club!!!

PostPosted: July 29, 2011, 12:46 am 

Well I think I'm overdue for an update. I Finally got back into the garage to do some work. First though, I got a new welder for my birthday :mrgreen: ! Its a Millermatic 211. Its sweet, especially when compared to my 110v Powerfist! The first thing I did of course was to build a welding cart. No check that, the 1st thing I did was run a 30A cable from the basement into the garage. Powerrr!!! :twisted: Then I build a welding cart.
Attachment:
100_5172.JPG
Attachment:
100_5177.JPG
from there it was back to working on the back end of the frame.
Attachment:
100_5197.JPG
After my little self ignition episode cutting 1/8" plate with a grinder, I decided I needed to find another way to do this.
Attachment:
100_5199.JPG
This set up gives me straight cuts with a sawsall!
Attachment:
100_5208.JPG
Today I added some triangulation pieces.
Attachment:
100_5215.JPG
Now time to offer up the diff and engine to the chassis. I could not get the engine in with the table on the sawhorses so down it came.
Attachment:
100_5225.JPG
And in went the engine.
Attachment:
100_5226.JPG
It was the end of the day so this was just for show, for now...

PostPosted: August 29, 2011, 1:31 am 

Well another month has gone by. Engine is located in the frame. Took two days to get it where I wanted it in the frame and relative to the diff, and get the front mounts made up. I set up the mounts with bolts going through the frame to make it easier to remove as I'm sure it wil be in and out often. I'll need a second bolt to keep it from twisting.
Attachment:
100_5232.JPG
Attachment:
100_5496.JPG
Attachment:
100_5293.JPG

'Where I wanted it' is not entirley accurate, as I did not get it as low as i'd hoped (not sure if the hood will clear ) as Manitoba vehicle standards state 'a special motor vehicle shall have no parts extending below the wheel rims in thier lowest position'.Will see when I get my nose and scuttle.
Attachment:
100_5301.JPG

Once the engine and diff were in thier final locations I went to work on the tunnnel.
Attachment:
100_5479.JPG

Attachment:
100_5493.JPG

PostPosted: August 29, 2011, 1:46 am 

I took another page out of Chet's build with the front diff mount. Turned out ok.
Attachment:
100_5521.JPG
Attachment:
100_5523.JPG

Mounting them the way I did Leaves me room to add a tube right in front.
Attachment:
100_5531.JPG
Attachment:
100_5532.JPG

Now that the major tubes are done I'm ready to weld up the frame.
Attachment:
100_5544.JPG

- Oh, I picked up 3 sheets of 4X10 prepainted Alumimum from JMS Motorsports. They are based out of Minnesota but they come across the border to service the dirt track guys. I obviously won't be needing them for some time but the trailer was handy and they won' get any cheaper, so...
Attachment:
100_5550.JPG

PostPosted: August 30, 2011, 1:17 am 

Hey Chris

Enjoying watching your build, good job!

'If man built it, man can fix it'
"No one ever told me I couldn't do it."
"If you can't build it safe, don't build it."

Perry's Locost Super Che7enette Build
Perry's TBird Based 5.0L Super 7 L.S.O
Perry's S10 Super 7 The 3rd
Perry's 4th Build The Topolino 500 (Little Mouse) Altered
Perry's 5th Build the Super Slant 6 Super 7
Perry's Final Build the 1929 Mercedes Gazelle

PostPosted: August 31, 2011, 11:41 pm 

Got a couple of good days in the garage. Fully welded the frame on th 1st day . I expected it to be a long day, but it just didn't seem to end . By no means a complaint, it was very satisfying to have it done. I spent the last two hours finding joints I'd missed, two hours! Each time thinking after I'd found a couple that I'd surely found the last of them. Then flip the frame just to be sure, and find more. As a testiment, to the long and focused day, I did not stop to take one picture once I started. Just weld weld weld, flip, weld weld weld, flip, weld weld weld, flip back and forth, side to side, front to back (you get it/you've been there). My new Miller sure was sweet, definitely worth the investment. No worries about cold welds. Only burnt myself once (Moved to weld a joint I missed on the tunnel forgeting I had just finshed a weld on the ouside fo the frame and rested that tender skin by your arm pit on the frame, Zinger!!). Of this I am sincerly proud as bouncing back and forth around the frame, there was much potential for sizzlin. I was wearing full welding gloves but short sleaves, but still much to my suprise, I got a bit of arc burn on the inside of my elbows (guess I don't have Gonzo skin).
Attachment:
100_5556.JPG
Rolled the frame outside the next day and ground down the welds were panels will befitted. Very glad I did this outside as the drive way was a shade darker when I was done.
Attachment:
100_5569.JPG
Attachment:
100_5561.JPG

PostPosted: September 1, 2011, 5:57 am 
We are Slotus!

Quote:
I got a bit of arc burn on the inside of my elbows (guess I don't have Gonzo skin).

Yo, Chris!
Great looking build you got goin' on there, Bro! I like it, very nice work, clean, good looking!

As for welding sunburn, wellll.... Guess I'm a tough old buzzard... Plus, I live in Florida and work outside a lot. This week, for instance... Just going outside is about the same level of heat and UV as a good MIG welder puts out! Check back with me in December and we can see who shoveled the most snow...

I can also sympathize with the time it takes to find all those welds you missed. I bet me and James spent two hours on two seperate days going over the frame and finding spots we couldn't get to the "first go-around". And, like you, we turned the frame up on either side and on its top searching for them. Good thing these frames don't weigh much, huh!?!?

Keep up the good work!
:cheers:

JD "UV Resistant" Kemp

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 228 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 16  Next