LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 19, 2024, 9:06 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 228 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 16  Next
PostPosted: June 27, 2012, 1:26 am 

Happy times, just finished my fuel tank! But wait, lets back it up a bit.

With the steering rack generally in its final resting place, I went to work on the steering and pedals. I located the steering first, then went onto the pedals. I had initially intended to use the factory pedals with themaster cylinders, as they had the switches already in place and well, they were paid for. Then the more build logs I read and the more I hung the pedals in the foot well (tried) the more I became disillusioned with the idea. So I ordered a set of Wilwood pedals.
Attachment:
100_5980.JPG
They looked ok, But after some more pondering I decided to give the factory pedals a go. Having decided that, I finish hooking up the steering so i would know just how much room I had.
Attachment:
100_6023.JPG
. One problem with the factory pedals is, of course, that they run form left to right from the pivots and I needed just the opposite in the Locost.
Attachment:
100_6060.JPG
With a little gentle persuasion, and a vice, I was able to get the desired affect.
Attachment:
100_6066.JPG
I will actually have to adjust the brake pedal back to the right a touch as the pedal is under the steering column and getting my right leg that far over is, well, a we bit awkward. Had to do some shaving to in order to get them nice and tight to the steering column. This leaves me a good bit of room for the go pedal.
Attachment:
100_6197.JPG
Around this time, my radiator arrived (civic) and the factory Miata fan fits perfectly!
Attachment:
100_6187.JPG

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2996&p=144103#p144103

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Build log http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=12374
Completed build showcase http://locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=16865

Last edited by cboettch on June 27, 2012, 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: June 27, 2012, 2:30 am 

So earlier I said I had finish my fuel tank...

Way back when ,,, I had planned on purchasing my tank. Thinking this would be simpler route. But my desire to use the factory fuel pump/ gage etc has pushed me to build my own. Now since I never intended on building my own tank, I had sold the one form my donor to a fellow who's tank has a leak. this turns out to be unfortunate as it contains the mounts for the pump and fuel vapor check valve. Now, I sold that tank a year ago, what are the odds of that fellow still having the old tank, but I thought it couldn't hurt to ask (ya see where this is going, eh). Sure enough, still had it and was only too happy to give it up for the cause (and get it out of his garage). Thanks Tyrone. I started w/ a cardboard mock up.
Attachment:
100_6120.JPG
I choose cut out all the pieces rather than bending. Ya, a lot more welding, but I had picked up a new shear so thought I would be more accurate with the dimensions (this was not a job for the saws all). I'm very happy with how it turned out. Most importantly because it does not leak. I welded everything but the top panel inside and out.
Attachment:
100_6123.JPG
This is a Miata tank cut in half if any one has ben laying a wake at night wondering. On the left you can see the bowl where the pump sits.
Attachment:
100_6106.JPG
I decided to incorporate it in to my tank( tank also has a couple fo baffels).
Attachment:
100_6167.JPG
For the fuel filler, again as I had not planned in building one I did not pull the fuel filler of the donor. So off the the wrecker and picked up 2 fillers for $10. ended up using the one from a civic ( the other was from a a PT cruiser).
Attachment:
100_6165.JPG
And here is finished tank.
Attachment:
100_6174.JPG
Tank volume is just about dead on 40 liters mathematically. I'm still undecide on coating the inside of the tank. Popped across the border last week to pick up some boots. More tire than I need, but options are limted in the 205/55R14's that I wanted in order to fill the fenders.
Attachment:
100_6163.JPG

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Last edited by cboettch on June 27, 2012, 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: June 27, 2012, 7:04 am 
We are Slotus!

Hi Chris-
That's some nice fab work on the tank! Lookin' good!
:cheers:

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: June 27, 2012, 7:08 am 

Good job on the tank. What gauge steel did you use.

PostPosted: June 27, 2012, 8:44 am 

Nice tank work there Chris. I also pondered the coat vs non-coat. In the end, I got some Red Koteon eBay for ~$25 delivered. It was easy enough to do. It is lesser known than many other brands but I was swayed by all the good and virtually no bad reports out there on the interweb. I can't say how well it will stand up over time. I saw the inside of my previous 1 year old tank which had no coating and was not impressed.

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: June 27, 2012, 9:26 am 

Thanks Gent's.

Russell, the tank is 18ga. I had picked up a 4x8 sheet that I will use for my floor as well. The tank is heavier than I expected, though I have yet to put it on a scale.

Chuck, not impressed after a year, eh? Well, that is the kind of 1st hand experience I'm looking for. Opinion seemed quite divided when I researched this. IIRC you did not 'treat' your tank prior to coating did you.

Last edited by cboettch on June 27, 2012, 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: June 27, 2012, 12:03 pm 

My old tank wasn't bad at all. It probably would have lasted 10-20 more years easily. I just didn't want to see all my efforts on the new tank begin to rust away. Plus, since the Red Kote seals holes up to 1/32" dia, I skipped the presssure testing and weld touchup on my tank and let the Red Kote do it's job if required.

The mfgr did not indicate that "pre-treatment" of the tank was necessary. By pre-treatment, I mean any rust conversion, phosphoric etch or proprietary wash. This is not a kit, but a simple, single step coating about the consistancy between syrup and molasses. They do require washing out with detergent and water to "degrease", then dry well before treating. That is it. Here is their data sheet and instructions. http://damonq.com/TechSheets/Red-Kote.pdf

I asked them specifically about the use on "fresh" steel, since most users were for older tanks. They were fine with that without any etching of the metal. The coating bonds well to clean, smooth metal too.

Make sure to use a large mouthed funnel when draining. And don't forget to tighten any drain plugs you may have in the tank. After coating and draining, I removed the drain plug during the cure so it would no peel the coating when I try to remove the plug in a couple years. The acetone/MEK solvents will eat any tape adhesive you use to close off the tank openings. Any accidents can be cleaned up with acetone after it drys too so there is no rush. I won't go into any further self-incriminating warnings. Actually, there are no more that I encountered. :cheers:

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

Post subject: A Good Day
PostPosted: August 19, 2012, 8:34 pm 

Last edited by cboettch on January 20, 2018, 1:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: August 19, 2012, 9:03 pm 

Congratulations on the start! The car is looking great. I gotta get over there and see it.

Bill

PostPosted: August 19, 2012, 11:40 pm 

That's awesome! Thanks for the shout-out in the video :cheers: I went through and re-read your build log, too. Pretty good stuff--I really like the "truck wash" idea for cleaning all the dirty Miata components. I wish I did that. And that Miata fan fits perfectly, with a shroud, no less! It looks like the stock pedals work pretty well, I mock up that in my car to figure out the fit issues with the pedals, master cylinders and steering column. Those tires look wicked-awesome, by the way.

Your engine holds a better idle than mine right now! I think I need to track down some un-metered air leaks in the janky aftermarket air intake pipes.

PostPosted: August 20, 2012, 10:12 pm 

Thanks Guys. Didn't have time to post much else yesterday, But thought that would sum up the day rather well.

Bill, did you see the post or could you here it form your place when I gave it the beans :wink:

Matt, ya it does run real nice but then as you noticed my intake is still stock. As is my wiring harness. I took the approach where I would 1st try to get it running, and running properly. Then start making modifications to the intake and wiring. I didn't have any gauges working (eccept my ebrake light which was hooked up and should have been off) but that's minor given the time I had to hook up other harness. Very glad I took the time to label all the cables and plugs during the teardown.
The start up also gave me a chance to commission my fuel system which had no leaks!
And that's my Segway to the few things I have been able to accomplish since last I rambled.
Since it is in the state it is (cluttered) I wanted to get the fuel and brake lines in the car so I could get the tabes on and see that it all fits before taking it all apart for final welding. So I fitted the brakes and set the car on the ground, so its true roller.
Attachment:
100_6234.JPG

I opted to coat the interior of the tank. Went with the Red Kote that Chuck used (thanks for the plug tip!) It coated real well. Better than I expected, baffles an all.
Attachment:
100_6240.JPG

Also installed ths e-brake so I would know where to/not to place the fuel/brake lines.
Attachment:
100_6246.JPG

PostPosted: August 21, 2012, 8:24 pm 

Congratulations on running the engine and on true-roller-day. That coating does look good doesn't it! Almost a candy apple red. How did you take that photo? Did you take it to your proctologist or do you have a colonoscopy hobby you aren't telling anyone about?

PostPosted: August 21, 2012, 9:43 pm 

cboettch wrote:
Bill, did you see the post or could you here it form your place when I gave it the beans

No, I didn't hear it but I was up at the lake all week-end. :D

cboettch wrote:
Went with the Red Kote

Did you use it all? Or do you have enough left over for a 5 gallon tank? If so, I'll buy it from you.

Bill

PostPosted: August 22, 2012, 12:10 pm 

rx7locost wrote:
How did you take that photo? Did you take it to your proctologist or do you have a colonoscopy hobby you aren't telling anyone about?
:shock: 'C' word! :ack:
Quote:
Did you use it all? Or do you have enough left over for a 5 gallon tank? If so, I'll buy it from you.
Bill

Think I poured nearly half the quart back into the can that your welcome to. Should be more thank enough.

PostPosted: August 26, 2012, 6:41 pm 

Just went through and read everything. Glad to see you got it running. Love the attention to detail and craftsmanship that you have put into the build.

I'm in the design process right now with my build. How wide is your tranny tunnel, and how many inches do you have on each side to fit your seats?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 228 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 16  Next