LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 11:16 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 228 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
PostPosted: November 10, 2016, 9:21 am 

there can only be one East St Paul, and it is in Minnesota :wink:

PostPosted: September 5, 2017, 9:33 am 

cboettch wrote:
Started cutting the bottom rails. I had purchased a cheap 6" chop saw from princess auto back in the winter. very portable and worked ok but seemed to have some play as the bottom of the cuts were not quite square. Did not fancy having to dress all my cuts so picked up a 10' cutting disc for the miter saw. Works great. Makes cutting the angles accurately a snap.

What blade did you use here? Was it an abrasive disc? I'm debating using my miter saw, or just buying a band saw. Thanks!

PostPosted: September 5, 2017, 3:20 pm 

Yes an abrasive disc. Works well for the 1x1" 0.065 tube. Faster than a band saw though messier. Get much thicker, and stuff starts to get hot and cuts slow. Then the band saw is better.

Build log http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=12374
Completed build showcase http://locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=16865

PostPosted: September 5, 2017, 3:52 pm 

I ponied up and bought a dedicated cold cut saw. 14" with one blade ran me about $450.00 Best investment I made for this project so far. Fast accurate cuts, minimum burrs to clean up, no excessive heat. One warning, however. The chips it produces are small, sharp, and get everywhere. Like down your unlaced workboots, for example....don't ask me how I know. Also easy to track in to the house, so don't wear your shoes back in the house after using it!

PostPosted: September 5, 2017, 4:26 pm 
Mid-Engined Maniac

I think I know what you bought - I have one too - but a *real* cold saw costs $$$$ and the blade turns very slow, like one turn per second - really. They also usually have coolant. They're awesome but way out of reach for most of us.

PostPosted: September 5, 2017, 4:48 pm 

KB58 wrote:
I think I know what you bought - I have one too - but a *real* cold saw costs $$$$ and the blade turns very slow, like one turn per second - really. They also usually have coolant. They're awesome but way out of reach for most of us.

Yep, exactly!

PostPosted: September 5, 2017, 5:02 pm 

Cut a lot of the tubing with a 10" abrasive blade in a cheap chop saw. Does the job.

PostPosted: September 5, 2017, 8:37 pm 

Dismantalus wrote:
I ponied up and bought a dedicated cold cut saw. 14" with one blade ran me about $450.00 Best investment I made for this project so far. Fast accurate cuts, minimum burrs to clean up, no excessive heat. One warning, however. The chips it produces are small, sharp, and get everywhere. Like down your unlaced workboots, for example....don't ask me how I know. Also easy to track in to the house, so don't wear your shoes back in the house after using it!

You'll be finding those in your socks forever. I used to work at a machine shop.

PostPosted: September 5, 2017, 8:43 pm 

benny_toe wrote:
Cut a lot of the tubing with a 10" abrasive blade in a cheap chop saw. Does the job.

I've been using a HF abrasive chop saw for years, that combined with a belt sander gets the job done. I would really like a better way to cut and measure angles though, you have to loosen two allen bolts and the measure marks are off a degree or two. I may just get an abrasive wheel for the miter saw and use clamps, it's only a handful of tubes right?

PostPosted: September 5, 2017, 9:31 pm 

Book chassis has 4 funny compound angles I think. I cut a mock up piece out of wood early on with a compound miter saw. Not sure why it couldn't be done with the abrasive wheel and lots of caution.

PostPosted: September 5, 2017, 10:20 pm 

For cutting really odd angles on my car, I used a regular old hacksaw. Just scribe my cut line on each of the 4 sides and cut each side separately, worked great.
Kristian

PostPosted: September 5, 2017, 10:31 pm 

turbo_bird wrote:
For cutting really odd angles on my car, I used a regular old hacksaw. Just scribe my cut line on each of the 4 sides and cut each side separately, worked great.
Kristian

Can't get any more low cost than that!

PostPosted: September 6, 2017, 10:37 am 

turbo_bird wrote:
Kristian

Very good! I am not a metal worker by any stretch of the imagination but have found there are many things that can be accomplished with metal using only a hacksaw, file, peen, and hammer.

PostPosted: September 6, 2017, 11:37 am 

You are describing my favorite tools!

PostPosted: September 18, 2017, 9:55 am 

cboettch wrote:
For the National event i rained on the 1st day and we only had the Nottos to run on so it was tough. The second day dried up our last couple of runs. All in all a great weekend of racing. Big well run event. Lots of great cars and drivers. Look forward to doing it again.

I love how this lady freaks out when you come in just a little too hot at the end of the run. Like, what does she think somebody is going to do, plow through a crowd? This isn't a mustang.

Calm down lady.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 228 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next