LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 5:15 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Kent's SCCA D Mod build
PostPosted: March 10, 2016, 12:45 pm 

So here we go!

I've been running Autocross in my S2000 and want to get into another car. A faster car of course.

I'm limited on funds, and enjoy building things with my hands.

LoCost 7 here we go.

I'm focused on D Mod for the build, but desire to have it street legal to start with.

I will look for a 94-04 Miata as a donor to for now, I would love a F20c in front though.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: March 10, 2016, 2:07 pm 

Good for you, Kent2. You're on your way--a build table, some square tubing, the lower frame cut, and your first build log post! There's no stopping you now. :D

PostPosted: March 10, 2016, 2:16 pm 

JackMcCornack wrote:
Good for you, Kent2. You're on your way--a build table, some square tubing, the lower frame cut, and your first build log post! There's no stopping you now. :D

Thank you

With each day I'm going to make an effort to put some time toward this build, no matter how much.

I really appreciate all the info on this forum, thank you all.

PostPosted: March 10, 2016, 2:22 pm 

Now you went and did it! You started to build your own car. What the heck were you thinking? That you were the incarnation of Henry Ford or John Delorean? Or worse yet, Colin Chapman? You only hope. And to make matters worse, you went and posted it on the internet. Now everyone can see it. People will be watching your every step. Some of them might not even be wearing clothes. Yuch! Your life will change. You will feel obligated to show some sort of progress to all those people that you don't know. You will be showing all of your errors along the way. You will be spending hours of surfing trying to find solutions to challenges that will arrive. Sheesh! It never ends, It NEVER ENDS, I tell you! Colin Chapman, Right!

Well Kent, welcome to the place where we don't sleep, we dwell on the minutest details, we share our worse mistakes, we have lots of hard-earned advice to help recover from those mistakes. And we live vicariously thru the success of others, I can't wait so see more. Post away! :cheers:

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: March 10, 2016, 5:17 pm 
We are Slotus!

Quote:
People will be watching your every step. Some of them might not even be wearing clothes.
DAMMIT, Chuck, I told you to get those cameras OUT of my garage! I mean it! And no more streaming live feeds to YouTube, either!!!

Oh, hey Kent, how ya doin? A buld table and some tubing, great start... And that part about doing something every day, double-plus-good! Keep after it, don't lose hope... We're all here to help ya along. Now, some of us might think pointing and laughing is helpful, but don't mind them... :mrgreen:

Good luck, keep building and keep us posted. Pictures are good, saves me time reading all this sh*t to Bubba.

:cheers:
JDK

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: March 10, 2016, 5:38 pm 

rx7locost wrote:
Well Kent, welcome to the place where we don't sleep, we dwell on the minutest details, we share our worse mistakes, we have lots of hard-earned advice to help recover from those mistakes. And we live vicariously thru the success of others, I can't wait so see more. Post away!
Oh... If he only realized how true this is before he started!!

:thmbsup: +1 and Welcome to the Circus!!!

K "Bonzo" S

Check out Firearm Finishes & Coating for options to ceramic coat your Locost parts. Hundreds of stock or custom colors including Chrome and Clear Coating options now available! High Temp options for hot bits!! Plastics too!!

Never become a pessimist. A pessimist is correct oftener than an optimist, but an optimist has more fun, and neither can stop the march of events.-Robert A. Heinlein

PostPosted: March 10, 2016, 11:50 pm 

After arriving home from work, helping with dinner, I got out to the shop for a bit.

First was swapping a phone mount for a Ram mount in Lil Red. Lil Red is my Honda S2000. It's red, lol!
I'm using Harry's Laptimer on my iPhone and needed a secure mount. I'll give it a whirl next weekend at the first Autocross of the year for me.

Then I cut some more tube. I worked on the front end assembly sides. I'm close, but may recut some to get closer. My improvised jig didn't work so well....

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: March 12, 2016, 12:37 am 

Had some time today. Recut the uprights as I had the angles wrong, whoops.

Tacked the front end assembly together. I had .035 flux core in the machine so I used that, not the best for 16 gauge. I need a gas bottle, have wanted to get one for a long time. I'll pick up a 40 cf one soon.

PostPosted: March 14, 2016, 1:31 pm 

Been a busy family weekend. Went to Silver Dollar City Saturday, well worth it. Now work.....

I'm looking to get two roll hoops before I go any further. I've seen mentioned using RollCageComponents.com. I'll give them a call tomorrow and get some info on two hoops to the floor with some bracing between them and two rear braces.

I'm still looking for a gas bottle, I have a big spool of .030 wire. Will that work well for the 16g or should I go smaller?

PostPosted: March 14, 2016, 2:14 pm 

I'm a big fan of Rollcagecomponents. Jimmy made my hoop. As for MIG wire. I use 0.023 exclusively for everything from 18ga steel up to 1/8" plate. Even spliced my halfshafts, with a bit of help from a sleeve. For a tank, check where you will be getting refilled/ exchange refills.

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: March 14, 2016, 2:33 pm 

Kent2 wrote:
Been a busy family weekend. Went to Silver Dollar City Saturday, well worth it. Now work.....

I'm looking to get two roll hoops before I go any further. I've seen mentioned using RollCageComponents.com. I'll give them a call tomorrow and get some info on two hoops to the floor with some bracing between them and two rear braces.

I'm still looking for a gas bottle, I have a big spool of .030 wire. Will that work well for the 16g or should I go smaller?

Rhodes racing, formerly broke dick racing, has some great pricing on components as well.

I used to use an independent guy, but after our last snafu.. I won't send him anything else.

Driven5 wrote:
Forced Induction + Magic Spinning Doritos = EMod

PostPosted: March 14, 2016, 2:38 pm 

rx7locost wrote:
I'm a big fan of Rollcagecomponents. Jimmy made my hoop. As for MIG wire. I use 0.023 exclusively for everything from 18ga steel up to 1/8" plate. Even spliced my halfshafts, with a bit of help from a sleeve. For a tank, check where you will be getting refilled/ exchange refills.

to add to this OP, some of your local warehouses will not take a tank that is not their own.. and some will charge you out the ass to purchase a tank through them. My local airgas wants $250 for a 40cf tank... and $50 to fill it.

If I bring my own 40CF - not their tank - its $75 to fill it.. if they'll even fill it.

Contrarily.. Tractor supply will fill just about anything with a nozzle.

Driven5 wrote:
Forced Induction + Magic Spinning Doritos = EMod

PostPosted: March 14, 2016, 3:30 pm 

1055 wrote:
rx7locost wrote:

to add to this OP, some of your local warehouses will not take a tank that is not their own.. and some will charge you out the ass to purchase a tank through them. My local airgas wants $250 for a 40cf tank... and $50 to fill it.

If I bring my own 40CF - not their tank - its $75 to fill it.. if they'll even fill it.

Contrarily.. Tractor supply will fill just about anything with a nozzle.

Great! Lots of Tractor Supply stores. I might just buy a bottle from them.

I'll pick up some .023 wire and tips. Thanks again for the info

PostPosted: March 14, 2016, 5:20 pm 

ALL RIGHT!!! Another southern Missouri build. Now, if I can just get my little heinie in gear, and get going on mine... Soon, very soon! Maybe those grill inserts I ordered from Botbasher will help get me fired up! Good to to have you aboard, Kent! :cheers:

PostPosted: March 14, 2016, 5:37 pm 

Your .030" wire should be fine, I used .035" for mine.
Kristian