LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 17, 2024, 10:05 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 430 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 29  Next
 Post subject: RacerDan's +442 GM V-6
PostPosted: March 10, 2009, 5:39 pm 
-the man.

My Neurosurgeon says he's done all he can do. He said I'm free do anything I feel like doing...... and I feel like finally starting on my project. Although I have started, unofficially. The steel is cut for my build table. My garage is as cleaned out as I can make it. I've warned the wife.

I have waffled so much on my drivetrain that I've been calling myself Butterworth. I've narrowed it to Ranger 2.3 or S-10. I'm leaning towards S10 again.

I found a deal on craigslist from a guy who said he had some ford mini stock stuff. All I found that I could use is a 7.5 rear a rear out of a TC.
He told me that the Pull-a-part had an old Pinto and the front was still all there. I went over last week and got the spindles. The steering rack was gone. The engine and tranny was still there but it was a FOG 4 spd and the body was in good shape which made the motor a little suspect.

Anyhow, thats all I've got so far, spindles, an axle, and some chopped up square tubing...oh, and a steering wheel.

Ark, professionals built the Titanic.

Last edited by RacerDan on April 1, 2009, 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: March 10, 2009, 5:52 pm 
Always Moore!

Sounds like its show time.

The Ranger 2.3L is a tough call. A lower rear-end ratio would compliment the truck transmission ratios well but it seems like a pretty potent package especially for some of the prices I've seen around the net. Any idea on the weight of the Ranger transmission?

PostPosted: March 10, 2009, 6:17 pm 

Which 2.3L? The Lima or the Duratec. I'm reasonably impressed with my B2300. But without a balance shaft the Duratec is a bit on the rough side. Im guessing Lima since you were looking at a Pinto. I'd love to see what the 2.3 Duratec would do when its pushing around half the weight of my truck. :D

PostPosted: March 10, 2009, 6:51 pm 
-the man.

I guess I'm looking at a Lima since I'm planning on using a Ranger. I'm still not quite sure what comes in what. Is the Duratec only offered in FWD? I've found that if I'm looking for Ranger or S-10 the price is 25-50% less than for Mustang or Camaro.

The rear is a 7.5 3.08 so that should take care of the low truck gears. Whichever way I go, I plan to find a decent runner and build the car. After it's on the road I'll put an engine on the stand and build in a little performance. From what I can tell, there is more after market stuff for the 2.3

PostPosted: March 10, 2009, 9:38 pm 

Butterworth,
Found this on tulsa Craiglist. Accordig to Wiki, this should be a Duratec and with only 10,000 miles. $500 sounds like a good price.

http://tulsa.craigslist.org/pts/1067535112.html

If the link does not work, search under auto parts for ranger engine.

PostPosted: March 10, 2009, 11:12 pm 
Always Moore!

The Rangers had the 2.3L Duratec from 2001 and up.

PostPosted: March 10, 2009, 11:21 pm 

Yes a 2.3L from mid 01 and up is a duratec. Same basic engine design as the MZR from Mazda. Internal bits are different and its assembled in the US instead of Japan. The 2.3L Duratec is a much more modern engine than the Lima. No problems in RWD since its works fine in the Ranger or Mazda B2300. It is also found in 2.0L and 2.3L for in FWD cars such as the Focus or Escape/Tribute. The FWD and RWD duratec engines are different but its more due to application. The truck/rwd engines are built for lower torque and less top end power than the FWD car.

PostPosted: March 13, 2009, 10:23 am 
-the man.

Oh, and I promise to change my thread name as soon as I settle on a drivetrain. I am pretty sure I will be using a truck drive train, either S-10 2.8 or a Ranger 2.3. I'm sure enough that I grabbed up a 7.5 Ford rear axle with 3.08 gears. Hoping to overcome some of the truck tranny grunt.

PostPosted: March 13, 2009, 11:03 am 

Dan:
Hello from Central OK!! I am certain that there were lots of British builders that used the Lima engine, and I know that there were also several build in the states.
Joe G.

PostPosted: March 16, 2009, 5:14 pm 
-the man.

I always wondered what scratch looked like. I've built 2 other racecars but neither was from "scratch" Well, here's my $250 worth of scratch.

I'll finish my table tonight and start laying out tomorrow.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: March 17, 2009, 5:45 pm 
-the man.

Well I didn't finish my table last night and today either. I tried beefing the frame up a little then ran out of wire for my welder, had to run across town. Then, after cleaning up a few more messes I made 2 DA mistakes in a row. I cut an angle the wrong direction on a brace. Then, when I cut new one, I welded it in in the wrong direction. Gave up for the day.

PostPosted: March 17, 2009, 9:59 pm 

Dan;
It sounds like you understand the value of the phrase, "OK, I have done this too long...tomorrow will be a good day!" Sure like that neat pile of "Scratch" Hope tomorrow goes better!

Joe G.
Crescent, OK

PostPosted: March 23, 2009, 12:59 pm 
-the man.

Just finished tacking my first chassis pieces together. So far, so good. Everything measures out to be straight, plumb and square. I worked from back end to front end and my overall measurement was less than a 1/16th short, so I'm happy. I doesn't take long to learn to pick your spot for your tack. You may have to grind it to put on the next piece. I guess the front up right is next. I've been derading that but I'm sure it will all work out.

I just saw a news flash from India and it looks like for what I'm going to spend on my Seven, I could buy 2 Tata Nanos. Damn!!!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Last edited by RacerDan on March 24, 2009, 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: March 23, 2009, 3:25 pm 
-the man.

I've stopped waffling on my drive train. I'm going to use a GM V6 either 2.8 or 3.4. Whatever I can find. A lot of the reason is Jack Banker's Stalker. Just listen to this thing. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7ladwVji5g Hope you have good speakers. I think he's going to keep his exhaust a secret. I asked him once before what it was and he didn't answer. I also like the weight and size of that motor....just pretty hard to beat.

PostPosted: March 26, 2009, 5:51 pm 
-the man.

I got the chassis front on today. I generated a few short pieces of scrap during the process. That's one part of the build where having a buddy check your measurements before you cut would be helpful. I only made 2 extra pieces. Tonight I'll jig up the top and get it ready to mate together tomorrow. I'm trying to decide if the front part of the chassis can be welded up before the back is added on. Any ideas?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 430 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 29  Next