LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 25, 2024, 3:21 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 239 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 16  Next
PostPosted: November 10, 2011, 8:20 am 
Always Moore!

WelderLee wrote:
Ok I'm looking for some advice. I have two options

The T50 seems like a great transmission for your typical power levels. When I was the proud owner of one, I could easily carry it around the garage without breaking a sweat and it was tiny. If you can find one, I'd say go that route and save some weight.

PostPosted: November 10, 2011, 9:00 am 

horizenjob wrote:
Quote:
tubular bellhousing that i saw on a formula ford at the Watkins Glenn historics this fall

Really? What was that, do you remember? Just curious. I've only seen simple adapters with upside down vw cases..

We had someone cast their own bellhousing. Check out Jack's thread on his high milage cars. I think he made one for a Kubuto Diesel.

I just looked at all the pictures and i somehow failed to get a picture of that particular car. I don't remember what kind it was but it was a Hewland gear box mated to the ford kent and instead of the cast bellhousing it had a tubular one, built like a space frame. All the covers could be removed allowing you easy access for inspection. The Clutch fork was mounted on a rod end allowing supper easy adjustment.

PostPosted: November 10, 2011, 9:02 am 

a.moore wrote:
WelderLee wrote:
Ok I'm looking for some advice. I have two options

The T50 seems like a great transmission for your typical power levels. When I was the proud owner of one, I could easily carry it around the garage without breaking a sweat and it was tiny. If you can find one, I'd say go that route and save some weight.

You would not happen to know off hand the approximate dimensions of a T50 would you? or better yet still have the one you had listed for sale?

Last edited by WelderLee on November 11, 2011, 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: November 11, 2011, 1:08 am 

WelderLee wrote:
Option 1 is to use a 60 degree v6 bellhousing and T5 out of a camaro. I will have to modify the bottom two bellhousing bolt holes. This is the simplest but i am using a book frame so the large T5 will give me space issues in the foot well along with the clutch slave cylinder located in poor place for the same reasons.

Howe make a hydraulic throw out bearing for this transmission, so no need for a slave.

-Steve

PostPosted: November 26, 2011, 8:55 am 

Any progress?

PostPosted: November 28, 2011, 5:14 pm 

Unfortunately nothing to exciting. I have been really busy with group projects and papers. The bit of time i have had i have spent researching different transmission choices trying to come up with the best solution. I really think i will end up using the T-5 and trying to make everything fit. Although i have not given up the search on how Ultralight adapted the Rx7 turbo transmission. I have also been looking at the miata transmission only because it looks like it would be easy to create an adaptor plate. Too bad miata transmissions are not as easy to come by around these parts.

PostPosted: December 10, 2011, 8:15 pm 

Here is the saturn and the Gm V6 bolt patterns overlaid The red circles are the saturn bolts and the blue circles are the V6 bolt pattern. I am planning on building a plate or creating tabs that can be welded on.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: December 11, 2011, 5:12 pm 

One of the kind people over at the ultraliteusa yahoo group sent me some images of the saturn powered ultralight which i find pretty interesting, and i thought i would share with permission of course.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: December 11, 2011, 9:19 pm 

That Saturn motor looks perfect... Any details on it, spec-wise?

PostPosted: December 11, 2011, 10:41 pm 

WelderLee wrote:
One of the kind people over at the ultraliteusa yahoo group sent me some images of the saturn powered ultralight which i find pretty interesting, and i thought i would share with permission of course.

Did you get any help with your adapter issue, Lee? What transmission does the example in the photo use?

Cheers,

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: December 11, 2011, 10:45 pm 

krepus wrote:
That Saturn motor looks perfect... Any details on it, spec-wise?

1.9L DOHC
124 hp 122 tq
Aluminum block w/ iron sleeves
Aluminum head
No balance shafts
Hypereutectic Aluminum pistons
Nitrited steel crank
Engine weight: 220lb without accessories

Numerous changes to the engines happened throughout its life, yet the power and torque ratings never changed. It's been proven that mixing components from certain years can yield significant power increases (~145hp)

PostPosted: December 12, 2011, 8:42 am 

Lol I knew those details, any on that specific setup? Stock cams or the Gude Bullfrog cams, webbers or mikuni's or a look-A-like... I've heard of some with sps components making close to 200 hp...

I love how simple those engines stayed throughout the 10 or so years they were built...

PostPosted: December 12, 2011, 9:13 am 

I got lots of information but nothing on the adaption other than it used and Rx7 turbo transmission with some kind of adaptor.

As for the engine all i know is that it has a Bullfrog head along with some sort of cams I'm guessing bullfrog as well. It was original running on Weber's but at some point was changed to fuel injection with itbs I'm guessing mega squirt from the reluctor wheel on the front but I'm not sure. As for horse power it was not mentioned but i know that over 170 is pretty doable with good cam, exhaust, and a ported head.

PostPosted: December 12, 2011, 11:29 am 

I can't seem to find the ultralight yahoo page. Got a linky?

PostPosted: December 12, 2011, 11:34 am 
Toyotaphobe

krepus wrote:
I can't seem to find the ultralight yahoo page. Got a linky?

Ultralite_USA@yahoogroups.com

I can explain it to you,
but I can't understand it for you.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 239 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 16  Next