LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 18, 2024, 11:25 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 176 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next
PostPosted: November 12, 2011, 3:39 pm 

Great to see so many build logs going in Minnesota, hoping to start on mine soon (damn "side projets"), but I guess I haven't yet been here as long as you, so there's hope.

Hopefuly you, Slappy, Erioshi, thebionicman and myself can all make it to the midwest gathering, I wonder how many of us will have somethig driveable?

PostPosted: November 13, 2011, 1:38 pm 

I'm sure it will be an enjoyable build to follow either way, but if you do go with the Audi 5cyl and Porsche rear mounted transaxle it will be especially fun! :cheers:

horizenjob wrote:
I think rear transaxles are at least potentially a very good idea. Glen may or may not persist with it. I read thru the thread your pointing at and I think this reinforces my thoughts. Once we get a working solution for this it makes the adapter problems go away. You do get a new adapter problem, but it is the same for all engines. It should improve the handling by putting more weight on the rear wheels. That's hard to do on these cars. Transaxles are also a good amount lighter then a transmission + a diff, also a difficult thing to do.
While I do find rear transaxles an "interesting" idea, I don't know how much of an improvement it will necessarily be. Consider that it's generally done to improve the weight distribution of a car closer to 50/50 or even a slight rearward bias...However most Locosts that I'm aware of seem to already have at least a slight rear weight bias with driver on board, so it's not necessarily as important depending on just how heavy of a rearward bias you're looking for. To increase the rear weight bias further may actually even complicate the design and/or tuning process to adequately compensate for the tendencies of more heavily rear biased cars, especially if not using staggered tire widths. Also if my recollection is correct, while transverse transaxles are often lighter than a longitudinal trans/diff combo, the Audi/Porsche type units are not as much. Of course, all that being said, I still really like the idea!

"Orville Wright did not have a pilots license." - Gordon MacKenzie

PostPosted: November 13, 2011, 10:22 pm 

Keep in mind the Audi 5-cyl is an iron block. IIRC. well not all of them, the UrQuattro and other performance versions used alumanim blocks.

The cheap and readily available ones are heavy.

Also, a couple weeks ago I was in a junkyard near me. They had two 924's that were pretty complete. I want to swing back and grab some parts for use and/or mockup.

PostPosted: November 14, 2011, 5:58 pm 

Did you stretch the back of the car, or just place the transaxle quite far forward? I'm going with the same setup, my tranny is behind the bulkhead plane but the end of the torque tube isn't. It's the furthest forward I can move everything without losing seat room. Still looks like the stub of the transaxle will be behind the body of the car, I'm hoping to hook the spare tire over it to hid it.

FWIW, I think the main advantages to this layout is the reduced weight (the transaxle weighs significantly less than the 5 speed and rear end I originally planned for,) and the excellent footroom. It might end up being a bit rear-biased, but not by too much (I'm hoping).

PostPosted: November 15, 2011, 11:40 am 

Well, I haven't built mine yet. The pictures I posted were from another builders log.

On the topic of the transaxel sticking out of the rear. I kindof was hoping for that. I like the look... goes back to old LeMans cars, and that new Lamborghini...

PostPosted: November 16, 2011, 11:24 pm 

Glen wrote:
Great to see so many build logs going in Minnesota, hoping to start on mine soon (damn "side projets"), but I guess I haven't yet been here as long as you, so there's hope.

Hopefuly you, Slappy, Erioshi, thebionicman and myself can all make it to the midwest gathering, I wonder how many of us will have somethig driveable?

Started making a little progress on mine. Hoping do get it done this winter.

OptimusGlen, any chance you post on other forums as this. If so I believe we know each other. Which also makes a small world because Erioshi and I know each other as well.

PostPosted: November 16, 2011, 11:46 pm 

Yes, im on Eurowerks, VWVortex and Volvospeed.

PostPosted: November 17, 2011, 9:49 am 

OptimusGlen wrote:
Yes, im on Eurowerks, VWVortex and Volvospeed.

Its Erik that had the Black M Coupe here.

PostPosted: November 17, 2011, 11:03 am 

haha, awesome, hows it going man? I still remember when you took me for a ride in that thing, so fun.

Link to your build?

PostPosted: November 17, 2011, 3:03 pm 

OptimusGlen wrote:
haha, awesome, hows it going man? I still remember when you took me for a ride in that thing, so fun.

Link to your build?

I don't keep up to date on here, but the build is up here:

http://exocars.net/showthread.php?t=6962

PostPosted: November 18, 2011, 8:42 pm 

If any of the MN guys want me to come in and weld for a day when you get things tacked together I would be happy to do so.

PostPosted: November 19, 2011, 12:41 pm 

I'm with Driven5 on this one - in pretty much all the Locosts, the weight bias is already to the rear. In some cases, it's substantial (like 40/60 rear with driver in place), and adding a transaxle all the way to the back might make it a little TOO tail-heavy (like the early Porsche 911's which, when pushed, frequently ended up exiting the paved surface backwards). In the case of the Porsche 944, the transaxle was rear-mounted so as to even out what would have been a substantial front-heavy weight bias.

Another thing to consider is the polar moment of inertia - placing a heavy mass far from the center of gravity will detract from what would otherwise be a nimble car...

http://zetec7.webs.com/

PostPosted: November 19, 2011, 1:47 pm 
Toyotaphobe

None of the corner weights I've ever seen support your theory about being tail heavy. All I've seen show exactly the opposite.

Being tail heavy is a good thing, within reason. It sure makes for a more stable platform under braking.

I can explain it to you,
but I can't understand it for you.

PostPosted: November 19, 2011, 7:02 pm 

Agree, if having a substantial weight over the rear end is a bad thing. Why does one of the most successful and amazing sports cars have their engine hanging out over the rear?

Having driven a 911 on a track, I know it all about how you drive... never lift, Haha.

PostPosted: November 19, 2011, 8:51 pm 

OptimusGlen wrote:
Agree, if having a substantial weight over the rear end is a bad thing. Why does one of the most successful and amazing sports cars have their engine hanging out over the rear?

Having driven a 911 on a track, I know it all about how you drive... never lift, Haha.

Owner denial? :wink:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 176 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next