LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 27, 2024, 7:18 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 330 HP RX 7 Turbo Build
PostPosted: April 30, 2014, 8:59 pm 

Hi, I have been lurking for a while and have been lusting for a Lotus 7ish car for a long time.

I came across a rolling chassis up near San Francisco CA. (I found the "heads up" right here on the forum!!)

I have an early RX7 that I did a 2nd gen turbo swap with upgraded turbo, injectors and stand alone Haltech fuel injection. I plan on using the complete drivetrain from my RX7 racecar into the Locost 7. At 330 HP, it should be a fun car.

Here are some pics of the donor car and the start of my new project...

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

James Cuba
Turbo Rotary "Rotus Project"
Chino, Calif

PostPosted: April 30, 2014, 9:06 pm 

It should be very interesting. I'll definitely stay tuned.

Welcome, by the way.

Cheers,

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: April 30, 2014, 9:21 pm 

Lonnie-S wrote:
It should be very interesting. I'll definitely stay tuned.

Welcome, by the way.

Cheers,

I see your in Carlsbad... I live in Chino. Not too far!

James Cuba
Chino, Calif

PostPosted: April 30, 2014, 9:39 pm 

Now I'm not saying don't do it. .. As a matter of fact I highly recommend it :twisted:
But. ... you do realize that will give you roughly the same power to weight ratio as a 725 hp C5?
I sure hope you have a drainage hole in the center of the seat the first time you hit boost!

PostPosted: April 30, 2014, 9:47 pm 

Welcome to the group.
The donor parts look familiar and yes, as you're anticipating, it will be a good combination. You won't even have to go much over 10 lbs boost to get over 1g acceleration if the tires are sticky.
Is this going to be a street/comp car or just comp?

Ron

PostPosted: April 30, 2014, 10:39 pm 

seven13bt wrote:
Welcome to the group.
The donor parts look familiar and yes, as you're anticipating, it will be a good combination. You won't even have to go much over 10 lbs boost to get over 1g acceleration if the tires are sticky.
Is this going to be a street/comp car or just comp?

Ron

Mainly a fun street car. I want to take it maybe once or twice a year for track days.

I miss having a "fun to drive" street car. Since my RX7 is a track only car, I miss taking it out on the open roads.

The frame uses 4 X 100 (Miata) bolt pattern on the front and 4 X 110 (1st gen RX7) pattern on the rear.
I plan on having the rear axles re-drilled for 4 X 100 pattern.

I am considering running 15 X 8 inch 949 Racing wheels on the car with either Hankook RS-S3 or BF Goodrich G-force rival in 225/45/15 size. These tires should give me decent grip in the corners, but will have their work cut out for them when the engine comes on boost in the lower gears.

James Cuba
Chino, Calif

PostPosted: April 30, 2014, 10:42 pm 

oldejack wrote:
Now I'm not saying don't do it. .. As a matter of fact I highly recommend it :twisted:
But. ... you do realize that will give you roughly the same power to weight ratio as a 725 hp C5?
I sure hope you have a drainage hole in the center of the seat the first time you hit boost!

I know.... wont it be fun??? :twisted:

James Cuba
Chino, Calif

PostPosted: May 1, 2014, 8:32 am 

i had the chance to drive a bit of that in two different cars. one is a SR20DET engine, the other one, a NA 12A rotary... a big part of me like the rotary more, a little part will say that the 280HP of the sr20 will come to use on higher speed.. your setup is definitively a dream!!

PostPosted: May 1, 2014, 9:30 am 
We are Slotus!

Welcome to the forum! Sounds like a fun project, please keep us posted on your progress.

I'd like to suggest that you call the car "Centipede" based on a poem I recall from years ago-
"I've never had to feed a centipede,
But if I could choose,
I'd rather feed one
Than buy it shoes."

I suspect your tire bill -vs- gas bill may be similar. :mrgreen: Enjoy! :mrgreen:

Good luck with your build!
:cheers:
JDK

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: May 1, 2014, 9:47 am 

Welcome, and I'll be watching.......I can't imagine what a 1300/1400# car with 330 HP would be like. Mine is good where it is.....

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: May 1, 2014, 6:00 pm 

Thanks for the words of encouragement! I will keep this thread alive and this project WILL GET FINISHED!! So many projects get started only to not get done.

I have installed the Tilton pedal assembly. Next work is to weld new brackets on my RX-7 axle and install.
I also will be pulling the drivetrain from my RX7 and doing "mock" fittings to see what needs to be modified and figure out motor mounts, trans mounts and how to handle the offset of the 1st gen RX7.

More pictures to come!!! :)

James Cuba
Chino, Calif

PostPosted: May 3, 2014, 11:35 pm 

80s old school wrote:
Thanks for the words of encouragement! I will keep this thread alive and this project WILL GET FINISHED!! So many projects get started only to not get done.

I have installed the Tilton pedal assembly. Next work is to weld new brackets on my RX-7 axle and install.
I also will be pulling the drivetrain from my RX7 and doing "mock" fittings to see what needs to be modified and figure out motor mounts, trans mounts and how to handle the offset of the 1st gen RX7.

More pictures to come!!! :)

Just installed the pedals.... Now I got to figure out a gas pedal.

I think the gas pedal that is in my RX7 might work!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

James Cuba
Chino, Calif

PostPosted: May 4, 2014, 11:09 am 
Mid-Engined Maniac

bobbeysr27 wrote:
i had the chance to drive a bit of that in two different cars. one is a SR20DET engine, the other one, a NA 12A rotary... a big part of me like the rotary more, a little part will say that the 280HP of the sr20 will come to use on higher speed.. your setup is definitively a dream!!

Top speed is ALL about aero - horsepower makes very little difference.

PostPosted: May 4, 2014, 11:48 am 

Have you got enough foot well space for the gas pedal? I had to do some fancy sheet metal work to get the '91 RX gas pedal and the starter motor to fit in the same virtual space.

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: May 4, 2014, 1:25 pm 

rx7locost wrote:
Have you got enough foot well space for the gas pedal? I had to do some fancy sheet metal work to get the '91 RX gas pedal and the starter motor to fit in the same virtual space.

Not sure Chuck, I wish the previous owner of the frame did not cut the firewall for this pedal set. I would have modified the tilton pedal set where the clutch and brake were closer. I still might have to cut and modify and redo the firewall.

I can get my foot in there for the gas but will have to have narrow shoes.

I still have not pulled my engine and trans out of the Mazda. I was thinking I would put the engine fairly forward to help clear the starter.
I would probably have to use a remote shifter so I am not reaching under the dash to shift.

Any ideas?

James Cuba
Chino, Calif