LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 18, 2024, 12:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 506 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 34  Next
PostPosted: April 23, 2012, 11:26 am 

Phase convertors work, and work well, but you do have another choice. Variable Frequency Drives have come way down in price, and in fact might be cheaper than the rotary phase convertor you're looking at....

For example: http://www.driveswarehouse.com/p-2136-x200-007nfu.aspx This is a Hitachi drive, 230 volt single phase input, 230V 3phase output, variable frequency between 0 & 60 hz. That's a 1hp (step pulley motor). The last pic you posted, looks like it shows a variable speed machine, which use higher hp motors (1.5hp or 2hp depending upon vintage), so you'd need a higher hp drive if that pic is your machine.

You'd probably want an enclosure for that drive (keep chips and such out), but I'd consider it optional (they're pretty well "touch safe").

I've got the 2hp version on my 1.5hp variable speed mill, cost me $200 plus shipping. Works perfect. I spent a few extra bucks installing it in an enclosure, and adding a box w/ some switches to control Fwd / Rev and On / Off. For me it was easier and cheaper than a RotoPhase, since it's the only piece of 3ph hardware I needed to run (currently, that could change).

As far as tooling, I'd suggest a few things:
1.) Vise. A good 6" vice (bigger is sometimes useful) will do alot of useful things. If you're looking at used, pay particular attention to what the jaws look like and whether they're easily replaced or resurfaced (most are). "Kurt" is the industry standard, but there are lots of import knockoffs that are still decent. The original BPort vises aren't terrible, but they do tend to have issues with parts lifting off the parallels
2.) A decent test indicator and a 1/4" drill blank. Use the test indicator and the associated bits to get the head perpendicular to the table, and then install the vise and use it to verify that the vice is square to the table.
3.) Cheap end mill set, with 2fl and 4fl end mills. Double end usually are more cost effective. Oh, and know that there are center-cutting and non center-cutting end mills (You can't plunge cut a non center-cutting end mill.)

Things to consider later:
Quick Adjusting nut for depth stop on quill (spinning the stock nuts up and down will get old real quick, can't tell if you've got one from the picture).
Parallel sets (both thick and thin are useful)
Drawbar hammer (wrench for the drawbar and brass hammer for tapping the collet loose combined, very useful)
Hold down clamp set (for mounting stuff to the table that doesn't fit in a vise).

Just a few thoughts....

JustDreamin

PostPosted: April 23, 2012, 2:34 pm 

Dude you seem to be good at scrounging stuff. Do what I did and go out and find a big used 3 phase motor, mine is about ten hp, I think. Lots of those around here due to the lack of 3Ø power. Hook one side to your 1Ø in parallel with your 3Ø and away you go. There are two ways to make this work. One buy a little electronic starter box for about $150 or two, get it started using a leather strap ala starting your lawn mower. Presto, your own 3Ø generator. This does not run as smoothly or efficiently as regular three phase but with a large 3Ø motor you won't have trouble due to the fly wheel effect. Check this out on line. The sites for old farts with wood working shops are a good place to start.

PostPosted: April 23, 2012, 4:49 pm 

vroom wrote:
Dude you seem to be good at scrounging stuff. Do what I did and go out and find a big used 3 phase motor, mine is about ten hp, I think. Lots of those around here due to the lack of 3Ø power. Hook one side to your 1Ø in parallel with your 3Ø and away you go. There are two ways to make this work. One buy a little electronic starter box for about $150 or two, get it started using a leather strap ala starting your lawn mower. Presto, your own 3Ø generator. This does not run as smoothly or efficiently as regular three phase but with a large 3Ø motor you won't have trouble due to the fly wheel effect. Check this out on line. The sites for old farts with wood working shops are a good place to start.

When I was a kid my next door neighbor started his converter with a rope as you suggest. I've already bought a rotary phase converter and its on its way. I got a free mill. I figured I can spring for the full boat converter. Now... on to the vise, the bits, the indicators, the bars, the 123 blocks, etc. Somewhere in here I'll have to work on the car!

PostPosted: April 23, 2012, 4:50 pm 

JustDreamin wrote:
Phase convertors work, and work well, but you do have another choice. Variable Frequency Drives have come way down in price, and in fact might be cheaper than the rotary phase convertor you're looking at....

For example: http://www.driveswarehouse.com/p-2136-x200-007nfu.aspx This is a Hitachi drive, 230 volt single phase input, 230V 3phase output, variable frequency between 0 & 60 hz. That's a 1hp (step pulley motor). The last pic you posted, looks like it shows a variable speed machine, which use higher hp motors (1.5hp or 2hp depending upon vintage), so you'd need a higher hp drive if that pic is your machine.

You'd probably want an enclosure for that drive (keep chips and such out), but I'd consider it optional (they're pretty well "touch safe").

I've got the 2hp version on my 1.5hp variable speed mill, cost me $200 plus shipping. Works perfect. I spent a few extra bucks installing it in an enclosure, and adding a box w/ some switches to control Fwd / Rev and On / Off. For me it was easier and cheaper than a RotoPhase, since it's the only piece of 3ph hardware I needed to run (currently, that could change).

As far as tooling, I'd suggest a few things:
1.) Vise. A good 6" vice (bigger is sometimes useful) will do alot of useful things. If you're looking at used, pay particular attention to what the jaws look like and whether they're easily replaced or resurfaced (most are). "Kurt" is the industry standard, but there are lots of import knockoffs that are still decent. The original BPort vises aren't terrible, but they do tend to have issues with parts lifting off the parallels
2.) A decent test indicator and a 1/4" drill blank. Use the test indicator and the associated bits to get the head perpendicular to the table, and then install the vise and use it to verify that the vice is square to the table.
3.) Cheap end mill set, with 2fl and 4fl end mills. Double end usually are more cost effective. Oh, and know that there are center-cutting and non center-cutting end mills (You can't plunge cut a non center-cutting end mill.)

Things to consider later:
Quick Adjusting nut for depth stop on quill (spinning the stock nuts up and down will get old real quick, can't tell if you've got one from the picture).
Parallel sets (both thick and thin are useful)
Drawbar hammer (wrench for the drawbar and brass hammer for tapping the collet loose combined, very useful)
Hold down clamp set (for mounting stuff to the table that doesn't fit in a vise).

Just a few thoughts....

All extremely helpful!

Thanks!

JustDreamin

PostPosted: April 23, 2012, 5:10 pm 

Ah. The dreaded side project.

PostPosted: April 24, 2012, 7:51 am 

Yes, but at least it's not a HONEYDO project.....

Although those often have some side benefits.

JustDreamin

PostPosted: April 24, 2012, 8:03 am 

JustDreamin wrote:
Yes, but at least it's not a HONEYDO project.....

Although those often have some side benefits.

JustDreamin

Figure out that the mill was made in 1959. The Y Axis gib has a thick shim under it. I REFUSE to get sucked into this side project. Car first, then restore the mill!

PostPosted: April 24, 2012, 9:05 am 

The thick shim shouldn't be that big a worry, just an indicator that somebody has been in there in the past 53 years. Is the table reasonably tight?

Typical backlash for these things is in the .030" range. Easiest way to check is to spin a handle to zero one direction, and then reverse direction and see how far the dial goes without moving the table (helps to "lock" the table so you better feel when it stops). That backlash is one of the reasons that most BPorts shouldn't climb cut, except for light (.005" to .010") finish passes for surface finish). On a heavy cut, they'll grab and pull the table ahead (of where it should be) and potentially do stupid things, like break end mills, yank stuff out of the vise, etc.

I certainly wouldn't be afraid of getting it hooked up and just using the thing. Only thing I'd be concerned about would be giving it a good lube job (and maybe cleaning the ways if they're really dusty/dirty/gritty). Wouldn't want to kill bearings / bushings / scraped machine surfaces for lack of a little oil.

JustDreamin

PostPosted: April 24, 2012, 12:52 pm 

the honey do projects side benefits depends on wether honey is a real honey

but we in it shall be remembered.

PostPosted: April 24, 2012, 12:56 pm 

If it is a variable speed you are supposed to spin it up regularly to keep the belt from getting stiff and sticking. The one small advantage to the non variable speed.

PostPosted: April 24, 2012, 3:29 pm 

There was talk that the table is off square about 200 thousandths. Right now I'm thinking that the knee gibs could be shot. Not sure yet. I haven verified anything yet since I don't even have a dial indicator. I can always square the vise to the head and use it that way for now.

PostPosted: April 24, 2012, 3:31 pm 

At 57 my table is out of square my gibs have been shimmed and my ways are soft.

PostPosted: May 9, 2012, 10:39 am 

The mill is finally operational. I had to buy clamps, a table and a turntable. Now it's back to the car. I just purchased a header for the pinto motor along with some 1 3/4" ubends. I'm going to cut the collector off of the new header and use the bends to route the header out the side of the chassis where I'll weld the connector back on. Longer primaries will no doubt have an effect on torque hp. To my mind it doesn't really matter when your on 5-inch wide tires. We're going for a cool look here!

PostPosted: May 9, 2012, 11:43 am 

re- your unfortunate misshap, when i was a young man, i had a car up on a very suspect jack from which, it rolled off onto my hand, now i couldn't reach the jack handle because the tire was on my hand, i couldn't roll it off because i had the hand brake on ( and it worked).

i lay there for several hours until my then girlfriend came round and found me.

as a note about your shifter remote, did you reinforce the ends where the bolt goes through as this is a weak point, from experience doing exactly that.

but we in it shall be remembered.

PostPosted: May 9, 2012, 11:53 am 

Good to hear the mill is operational. Now it won't be a huge side project keeping you from turning wrenches on the car project, and they can be incredibly useful in the building of said car project.

JustDreamin

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 506 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 34  Next