LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 2:52 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 506 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 34  Next
PostPosted: April 9, 2012, 12:01 pm 

Excellent!! The skinny wires are not often seen on this board, as most guys are building for maximum handling and traction. I personally love that late 50's early 60's look! The colour is perfect, so what colour is the body going to be? Well done on getting the frame to a roller in such a short period of time.
Absolutely keep me in mind when the fenders and nose arrive, I want a set!
Cheers,
Stewart.

PostPosted: April 9, 2012, 1:55 pm 

The pedal box bolts up nicely. Right now the steering wheel is only partly mounted. (I may move it. My Concerns: The pedal box may be too high for a standard scuttle. (I'm building my own anyway). I want to get the seats before I put the steering in it's final location. I'm also seriously considering putting a removable steering wheel in the thing. I've had back surgery twice and I'm 6' 1" and 235# I'll shoot a few closeups tonight.

PostPosted: April 9, 2012, 1:58 pm 

Limeykid wrote:
Excellent!! The skinny wires are not often seen on this board, as most guys are building for maximum handling and traction. I personally love that late 50's early 60's look! The colour is perfect, so what colour is the body going to be? Well done on getting the frame to a roller in such a short period of time.
Cheers,
Stewart.

It will be a bit darker than BRG and will have a matching maroon stripe down the nose and surrounding the radiator opening. I think I'll be adding spacer to the rear wheels to get a little more clearance. I also want the tires to sit centered in the fenders. Of course, I'll be waiting for the fenders before I do that. I'll make molds of the nose and fenders before I modify them for my car (THe fenders may not need any. I'm sure the nose will need some.

JDD

PostPosted: April 9, 2012, 2:02 pm 

The skinny tires are 155 R 15 Firestones. Koker sells them for 76. each. Great price for these compared to Michelin Xs at 210. each.

signbandit55 wrote:
Limeykid wrote:
Cheers,
Stewart.

It will be a bit darker than BRG and will have a matching maroon stripe down the nose and surrounding the radiator opening. I think I'll be adding spacer to the rear wheels to get a little more clearance. I also want the tires to sit centered in the fenders. Of course, I'll be waiting for the fenders before I do that. I'll make molds of the nose and fenders before I modify them for my car (THe fenders may not need any. I'm sure the nose will need some.

JDD

PostPosted: April 9, 2012, 2:39 pm 

I'm using 5.00 x 15 Excelsior from Coker. They look like Bias ply, but are actually radials, and they are speed rated to 149 mph! Not that my 7 will ever get there, but it's great to dream!
The colour scheme sounds great. Very period. I can't wait to see it with the bodywork on. You are doing great job.
Cheers,
Stewart.

PostPosted: April 9, 2012, 6:40 pm 
Automotive Encyclopedia

I recognize the tires too! I'm using 125R15 Firestones. I've seen guys using these on nostalgia bikes.

The michelins were way out of my price range. The cheapest place I found was Jegs, plus it was free shipping.

LxWxHt
360LA 442E: 134.5x46x15
Lotus7:115x39x7.25
Tiger Avon:114x40x13.3-12.6
Champion/Book:114x42x11
Gibbs/Haynes:122x42x14
VoDou:113x44x14
McSorley 442:122x46x14
Collins 241:127x46x12

PostPosted: April 10, 2012, 8:05 am 

nick47 wrote:
Looks excellent, JD, just brilliant. Very inspiring. Can we get a close-up picture of the pedal box/steering column arrangement? I'm really struggling with that.

Here's some photos of the steering and pedal box. For the pedal box I welded 1" angle iron flush with the top of the frame. It accomodates the wider spaced holes in the rear of the box. To accommodate the narrower holes in the front, I welded flat steel to the angle iron and the frame (It's tough to see with the box in place.

FOr the steering wheel, I'm not happy with it's height just yet and I haven't finalized its mounting at the dash. (Seats will help figure that out).

You can see where I added length. Fortunately I had an extra shaft (collapsible section) from the MGB as well as an extra u-joint. I used both u-joints so the shaft won't speer me in an accident.

I also turned a gearshift lever out of a 5/" x 10" bolt. On the pivot hole, I welded a half inch nut to give it some meat, then center punched one of the flats on the nut to drill the hole before turning the whole thing down to fit the extension bar. I saw this shifter extension on another car and it seemed kind of half assed. What I can't believe is how well the thing works. Nice tight shifts, much better than my Jetta

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: April 10, 2012, 4:24 pm 

Thanks JD! My steering will look about the same, with two u-joints (have to buy the second one, though), but by my calculations the center shaft will be shorter than that, only about 8-10" depending on steering wheel placement. Maybe I'll wait until I have the frame tacked together.

The gearshift is pretty ingenious. I'm using the MGB 4-synchro box and in fourth gear the shift knob misses the dash by only an inch or so. I may end up doing the same thing.

PostPosted: April 10, 2012, 10:03 pm 

JD, this is a great build!

Are you going to have a bench seat? Are you re-using the B's gauges?

excellent work.

PostPosted: April 11, 2012, 9:14 am 

nick47 wrote:
Thanks JD! My steering will look about the same, with two u-joints (have to buy the second one, though), but by my calculations the center shaft will be shorter than that, only about 8-10" depending on steering wheel placement. Maybe I'll wait until I have the frame tacked together.

The gearshift is pretty ingenious. I'm using the MGB 4-synchro box and in fourth gear the shift knob misses the dash by only an inch or so. I may end up doing the same thing.

From my experience builsding frames and cars. The tacked-together frame serves as a pretty good schema for placement of other parts. I literally place the engine/trans, radiator, seats, steering, scuttle and other stuff only after the frame is together.

That big old MGB tranny is longer than the pinto trans. Hopefully it will work without the extension.

as for seats and gauges. I'm using a pair of aluminum bomber seats: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Two-Bomber-Seat ... 615wt_1244

Not sure on the gauges. The ones I have from the B are shot.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: April 11, 2012, 9:31 am 

I debated whether to put this tidbit in: Last night I got run over by my locost! I decided, what the hell it has wheels and steering, I'll push it out of the barn hop in and roll it down the hill to my house. I got the car moving, but never made it into the car. Instead, the left wheel tripped me up and I fell, the left rear wheel ran over my right arm--slowly-- then the car began to pick up speed. I reached up with my right hand and grabbed the rear of the car and it dragged my for about 10 yards before my rotundity and skin-to-gravel friction brought the car to a rest. I jumped up quickly, looked around and saw that no one witnessed the goings on and headed into the house.

PostPosted: April 11, 2012, 9:44 am 

Quote:
I jumped up quickly, looked around and saw that no one witnessed the goings on and headed into the house.

Pretty much, that would be my first reaction too. I'd ask myself "Anybody see that screwup, I mean stunt?" It would have been much more entertaining if you had a few beers and then said to the crowd, "Hey everybody, watch this!" At least you can admit your mistake and say "Look what I did!"

Sorry to hear that really. Doesn't look bad. Get up, wipe yourself off and get back to workin' on that car! :cheers:

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: April 11, 2012, 11:36 am 
Toyotaphobe

signbandit55 wrote:
I jumped up quickly, looked around and saw that no one witnessed the goings on and headed into the house.

Which means it didn't happen!

You know, the old if a bear shits in the woods and no one is there to hear it did it really happen? Well, unless you step in it and then we know it happened.

I can explain it to you,
but I can't understand it for you.

PostPosted: April 11, 2012, 1:32 pm 

Come to think of it...I did have a glass of wine beforehand.

PostPosted: April 11, 2012, 1:35 pm 
We are Slotus!

Yo, JD-
At Team Slotus, that kind of stunt would get you a small round of applause and possibly be discussed at the "Racer's Lunch" on Tuesdays. Anywhere else, it's called "a regrettable accident." :mrgreen: But seriously, Folks... Glad you weren't really hurt... That whole "skin-to-gravel" braking system is not a good thing. :cheers:

Carguy- If a man is walking through the woods and he says something (anything) out loud, and there's not a woman around to hear him, is he still wrong??? :rofl:

JD "The Other White Meat" Kemp

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 506 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 34  Next