LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 19, 2024, 2:22 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 634 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43  Next
 Post subject: Re: Nick's MGB Build
PostPosted: October 14, 2013, 9:34 am 

nick47 wrote:
Hi, Al. I found the hinges on eBay. They're reportedly from a Triumph TR4, but at our MG club meeting yesterday I saw an MGA with wind wings using the exact same hinges, so I think they're a pretty standard item. They just clamp on, so they'll fit anywhere you have some sheet metal sticking out.

What do your MG Club members think of your Locost?

Cheers,

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: October 14, 2013, 2:27 pm 

To be honest, they're kind of lukewarm on the idea. Some have shown a little interest, but for the most part it's a pretty conservative group. Last month the club president asked me to send him a newsletter article about myself and the car, with a couple of photos. They only published one photo--the donor MGB.

PostPosted: October 14, 2013, 7:16 pm 

Hmmmmm, I guess that tells the tale. Too bad.

Cheers,

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: October 15, 2013, 9:50 am 

...same here... take the TD to our British Car Club functions, and the Centaur out for nightly 'blasts'... love the vintage MG, but driving the 7 is like nothing else...

PostPosted: October 15, 2013, 10:04 am 

That sort of mirrors my experience 2 years ago with (one member of) the Lotus Club at a local car show. Most were open and inviting. One was just abnoxious. Don't let it bother you and try to rise above it. There are more important things to get upset at.

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: October 15, 2013, 10:38 am 

nick47 wrote:
To be honest, they're kind of lukewarm on the idea. Some have shown a little interest, but for the most part it's a pretty conservative group. Last month the club president asked me to send him a newsletter article about myself and the car, with a couple of photos. They only published one photo--the donor MGB.

yeah, you'll find that with pretty much any type-specific club, or group, regarding types outside the main focus of the group. Normal human behaviour, there, mate...

The beginnings of the Jag Special,
https://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=19012
Again, all pictures were lost.

PostPosted: October 15, 2013, 11:59 am 

I didn't expect an MG club to be too excited about a Lotus clone, but I thought maybe the MGB engine and SUs sticking up out of the hood would generate at least some interest. OTOH our local Lotus club (GGLC) welcomes 7 clones, although 7s, along with Elans and Europas, are more of a curiosity since the club's primary focus is Exiges and Elises.

I guess we fall through the cracks of marque-specific clubs. But there are individuals in these clubs and everywhere else who appreciate fun cars, regardless who built it. A lot of people in our Miata group followed my build closely, despite the lack of any Miata content. Two of our members have started building Exocets, and the interest is there to start a lot more Locost-type projects.

PostPosted: October 20, 2013, 12:22 pm 

Hey Nick! I've been enjoying your build over the last year - great job!! Good luck on your inspection...I thought waiting a week for an appointment was a long time. So now I'm street legal, but don't want to drive far without the front fenders - it's unreal what gets kicked up and onto the rear fenders! Out of all the fender brackets I've seen throughout the locost forum, I think I'll pattern mine off of yours - they look simple and quit sturdy! Once my fenders are on, I'm driving out to Geneva to see the guy who built my rollbar...he's agreed to corner weigh and align the car. My tonneau cover is being made Tuesday and I'm getting ready to make the wiring harness for my gauges! (They're in and look pretty, but are not functional yet.) I'm also going to search around for the wind wing hinges - that's just what I need next. So much to do : - )
-Gar

viewtopic.php?f=35&t=14227&start=285

PostPosted: November 11, 2013, 3:23 pm 

nick47 wrote:
Hi, Al. I found the hinges on eBay. They're reportedly from a Triumph TR4, but at our MG club meeting yesterday I saw an MGA with wind wings using the exact same hinges, so I think they're a pretty standard item. They just clamp on, so they'll fit anywhere you have some sheet metal sticking out.

As wondering Nick if you could give some insight as what you used to cut out your acrylic wings?
So far I haven't had much luck finding the hinges without spending big dollars, so think I will make my own out of some aluminum bar I have sitting around.

Al

PostPosted: November 11, 2013, 9:11 pm 

Hi Al. I cut them out with a hacksaw. Once I had the rough 4-sided shape, I rounded the corners with my bench grinder, filed the edges smooth, and block sanded the edges starting with 60 grit and ending with 2000. I then hit the edges with rubbing compound, polishing compound, and finally Meguiars plastic polish. I know that sounds like it might've taken a long time, but it actually took a lot longer.

The plastic store said they would've cut the wings out for me if I'd brought a cardboard template. Next time I'm bringing a cardboard template.

I think you could do a fine job of making hinges out of aluminum. I thought there might be something special about the hinges, spring loaded or something, but they're just hinges. Really tight hinges.

PostPosted: November 12, 2013, 10:37 am 

Like you I also started by buying the plastic then making a cardboard pattern, very similar to yours actually :shock:
Thanks for the reply, much appreciated
Al

PostPosted: November 12, 2013, 3:09 pm 

nick47 wrote:
Hi Al. I cut them out with a hacksaw. Once I had the rough 4-sided shape, I rounded the corners with my bench grinder, filed the edges smooth, and block sanded the edges starting with 60 grit and ending with 2000. I then hit the edges with rubbing compound, polishing compound, and finally Meguiars plastic polish. I know that sounds like it might've taken a long time, but it actually took a lot longer.

The plastic store said they would've cut the wings out for me if I'd brought a cardboard template. Next time I'm bringing a cardboard template.

I think you could do a fine job of making hinges out of aluminum. I thought there might be something special about the hinges, spring loaded or something, but they're just hinges. Really tight hinges.

My father worked with a lot of plastic. When you get the edges down to about 400 grit just touch them with a propane torch and they become glass smooth instantly.

JDD

PostPosted: November 12, 2013, 9:16 pm 

hey Nick, as far as the clubs go, i found the same thing at car shows, if they can't define it into one of there "hot rod" boxes by make of body or chassis, or it isn't a replica then you just spent 20 to 60 bucks for people with small minds to walk past your car and not give it a second glance.

as far as the wind wings are conserned, just wet the acrilic and cut it with a jig saw, keep the polythene on till it's done and sand the edges smooth then scrape them with a razor blade and then hit them with a blow torch.

if you scratch them you can take that out with a blow torch as well

but we in it shall be remembered.

PostPosted: November 13, 2013, 12:53 pm 

What? No locost car clubs? Too busy out driving around I guess. :lol:

PostPosted: November 13, 2013, 2:49 pm 

As I mentioned earlier, our local Lotus club is pretty Locost friendly.
Attachment:
gglc6.jpg

Not sure where to put this yet. Maybe the wind wing.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 634 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43  Next