LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 28, 2024, 4:46 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 634 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 39, 40, 41, 42, 43  Next
 Post subject: Re: Nick's MGB Build
PostPosted: November 13, 2013, 3:24 pm 

Nick, sweet!

I've been audinting the plexiglass-working discusson hereabouts this week, as I'm at a point where I'm considering the form and placement of a windscreen on the B-3. many excellent tips on working with the materials.

The beginnings of the Jag Special,
https://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=19012
Again, all pictures were lost.

PostPosted: January 2, 2014, 7:43 pm 

Hello Nick

Im at the point where I need wipers as well, I see Caterham wipers look just like the flat blade wipers you have.

I have MG Midget wiper arms but when I look for ANCO 7" as you mentioned above I found ANCO 51-07 or 5107 and indeed flat window wipers but the pictures they show dont have the bayonet mounts, in fact they have no mounts at all, did you buy the bayonet mounts separately ? If you can shed some light on this issue I would much appreciate it.

Thank you Sir

/ Ed ( in Florida)

PostPosted: January 3, 2014, 3:51 pm 

Hi Ed, those are the blades, Anco 51-07. They look like squeegees and they have a single hole drilled through the metal edge at the center of the blade. They also come with a tiny 1" long stainless steel channel and a #6 or #8 SS screw and nut.

I made the attachment from the center section of the old blade holder (bayonet), and it's going to be ultimately difficult to explain how I did it, but refer to the pictures.

The arm attachment (left, below) fits through a slot in the blade holder (center), and a keeper tab (right) then fits through a slot in the arm attachment to hold it in place, and also allow some articulation. What I did was Dremel a slot in the top of the channel that was supplied with the Anco blade, fit the channel under the blade holder with the slots aligned, then stuck the blade attachment through both slots, and inserted the keeper through the arm attachment slot under the channel. This locked the channel to the blade holder. I could then just bolt the Anco blade into the channel using the screw and nut supplied with the Anco blade.

I told you it would be difficult to explain. The only other mod was to shorten the Midget blades 2", but it turns out that was about half an inch too much, as the blades only reach to about an inch from the top of the windshield. I also could've made the windshield an inch taller and maybe not shortened the arms at all.
Attachment:
arm8.jpg

Attachment:
armattachment8.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: January 3, 2014, 8:19 pm 

Hello Nick

Thank you very much for the photos and the explanation.

I had suspected I would have to fabricate the bayonet to blade mount, my plan so far was stainless backed Model A Ford wipers shortened to suit and a bayonet mount cobbled on the back, and of course the MG Midget arm.

I will probably use the stainless blade and a version of the bayonet mount.

If I come across a bayonet mount made for this application I will post it here.

(Here for interest sake is a catalog of yet untried wiper blades.)
http://www.bobdrake.com/images/sales/mi ... inicat.pdf

I appreciate your efforts on my behalf

Sincerely / Ed edcetera

PostPosted: January 22, 2014, 1:49 pm 

Nick,
I've been off the forum for a while but when I looked at your build log today, I was
blown away. You did a fantastic job. Hopefully I can see it in person when I come
down for the Maker Fair.
Well done, sir :cheers:

PostPosted: January 22, 2014, 3:03 pm 

Thanks, Dave! As usual, there are a number of things I still want to do on the car, 18 to be exact, and probably more to come. Someday I'd like to do what you're doing and dismantle the whole thing, clean up everything and correct the rush jobs, then put it all back together. But I'm having too much fun driving it right now.
Attachment:
bridge.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: July 22, 2016, 5:20 pm 

After three years and 25K miles my Locost needs an overhaul. Nothing drastic, but it'll involve putting the car up on blocks and out of action for a month, longer than any time since I completed it. In all that time I haven't gone a week without driving it, except when work has had me out of town, and I commute in it regularly. So it's not going to be easy to tear it apart, but it's needed engine work for a long time, and a month ago I dinged up the frame (photo) and need to straighten that out, and then last week the hood flew off on the freeway.

The hood has flown off before, but each time I was able to stop and recover it, relatively undamaged. Not this time. The hood ended up in the number 2 lane, right side up, and looking good until I stopped and ran back for it. As I waited for traffic to clear so I could make a mad dash out to retrieve it, a truck ran over it and crushed it flat.

So I need to make a new hood, and I can't really do that with the engine in the car, because the engine doesn't fit under the hood. Since the engine needs work anyway, I'll go ahead and pull it, along with most of the front end pieces on the car, so I can bend up a new hood, weld up the frame damage, and overhaul the engine. It's not really part of the original build log, but I'll post the progress here anyway as part of the car's permanent record.
Attachment:
bentcorner.jpg

PostPosted: July 22, 2016, 9:40 pm 
We are Slotus!

Quote:
and overhaul the engine
Got two words for ya, Nick...
"Shorrock blower"
I'll just leave that right there... :twisted:

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: July 22, 2016, 9:46 pm 

Well, I guess it's a mixed bag:

1) Congrats on the 25K miles - very impressive;

2) Overhauls always seem to be necessary when you can least afford (time- and money-wise) to make them, so that's a given;

3) Really too bad about the hood - big, big bummer.

Maybe next time you could do some leather straps, retro-style over the hood for the second go-round?

I had it in mind to revisit your build log when I got to the floor-welding stage because I thought you had good success and very little warping. Now I 'm making another note: "Do NOT copy hood latches." :mrgreen:

Good luck with your repairs and new construction.

Cheers,

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: August 12, 2016, 1:30 pm 

I got the car torn apart enough to repair the frame damage to the lower left L tubes. I cut out the bent section and welded in a couple of new pieces. The joints are sleeved inside with short lengths of 7/8" square tubing, which made the butt welds stronger and more importantly allowed me to use a lot of heat with little risk of blowing holes. Not my best looking welds, but hardly a concern at this point.

I drove a lot of miles, around 500, with the L tubes crushed, and you couldn't tell from how the car drove that anything was wrong. The suspension wasn't damaged. I give some of the credit to the sturdy Locost frame, but most to my heavy-duty steering rack mount, which is supported by tubes running from the FU tubes to the front lower pickup brackets, and down to the F1 and F2 tubes. Total overkill, unless you happen to hit a concrete median strip at speed.

The engine is also apart and waiting for the machine shop to finish up. The M.G. engine ran very strong for 25K mules, but with horrible oil usage and not a ton of power. The engine sat for a lot of years and the oil control rings had taken a set. Not surprising I was adding a quart of oil every 50 miles. The new pistons going into the engine are the early shallow-dish style, good for a 9:1 compression ratio, up from an advertised 8:1 now, and more likely 7:1 with the shape the rings were in.
Attachment:
cuttubes.jpg

Attachment:
sleevedtubes.jpg

Attachment:
fittedtubes.jpg

Attachment:
repairedtubes.jpg

PostPosted: September 6, 2016, 4:10 pm 

I'd forgotten how much fun it was to make a Locost bonnet (not). I was going to make the new bonnet out of .040", but my metal supplier said they didn't have a big enough piece in .040", and would it be okay to send .050"? No extra charge. I didn't want to wait, so I took the .050, which I knew would be hard to bend and it was.

The grain in the piece they sent me ran side-to-side rather than front-to-back. That's just how they cut it. I think that makes it harder to bend into a Locost bonnet, OTOH it might be more rigid that way. I've never seen any analysis on this. I just know it was really hard to bend. I seem to recall that building a Locost involved a lot of difficult tasks, but I can't remember any more difficult than making the bonnet.

But the new hood fits as good as the old one did, and should stay on the car better thanks to massive spring-loaded latches up front. I still need to paint it, and add a stripe, but not right now. First I need to get the engine back together.
Attachment:
newbonnet.jpg

Attachment:
bentbonnet.jpg

Attachment:
foldedbonnet.jpg

PostPosted: September 6, 2016, 4:37 pm 

Looks good Nick

Did you anneal the 050 before trying to roll the curves? I didn't stand a chance of making something decent for the R1 until I annealed the panel.

OOPS I did it again
http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=17496

Blood Sweat and Beers
http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=15216

PostPosted: January 26, 2019, 9:55 pm 

Hi Nick: I am in the early stages of a MGB Lotus build, I actually pick the kit up in a few days. I already have my MGB donor parts and have a question about hood clearance. Your last post showing the new hood without cutouts, is that because your motor is out for rebuild or did you find a way to make the motor fit under the hood? I have looked at all your pictures and did not see a picture looking across the underside of the frame to show how much if any of the oil pan is below the chassis. I really want to keep my motor covered under the hood and don't know if this can be done with the MGB engine. If you have a picture underneath the car I would really appreciate it. Thanks Beal

PostPosted: June 29, 2019, 9:35 am 

Hi Nick,
I just finished going thru your build log a 2nd time. Plus looking at your web site. You have inspired me to follow your path.

I recently acquired a partially completed Locost 7 project. He had configured it for a Mustang 5.0/T5 power chain. I already have a 427Cobra project under way and thought, "I don't really want another wild powered kit car!". As I looked at a book I had purchased years ago, Lotus/The Legend, I saw a 1959 Lotus 7 with a 950cc Sprite motor. I had a 69 MG Midget when I got out of high school and really enjoyed driving it! Made me think about looking for a Midget/Sprite power train!

This week I got to bring home my Locost with the help of my friend/trainer's help (and truck). As it was a 100 mile round trip, we had some time to talk. I knew he had a an MGB that he was upgrading to a GM 3800/T5 combo. What I did not know was that he still had the complete power train from the B.

When I told him what I was thinking about for the Locost, he asked "would you like my engine & trans?" Of course I said "YES!".

So, as I go forward with my build, I may reach out to you from time to time with questions. Plus, my daughter lives in Santa Rosa, just north of you. We plan on visiting this fall and maybe I can stop by and see your car! :D

Thom

PostPosted: August 23, 2019, 4:04 pm 

Hi Thom. Sorry it took so long to reply. Recent health issues, hopefully behind me for a while. Feel free to ask any questions you want, and of course you're more than welcome to take the car for a spin next time you're in town.

I've often thought a Sprite engine might've been a better fit for a book frame Locost. Maybe a 1500 though, or at least a 1250. The A-series motor would be lighter and would probably fit under the hood.

The thing about power in a Locost, it's loud. Unless you have a killer exhaust, full throttle is embarrassing. So while the Locost is considerably faster than my 1970 MGB GT, I don't really drive it any faster. Except around turns.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 634 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 39, 40, 41, 42, 43  Next