LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 16, 2024, 2:20 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 369 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 25  Next
PostPosted: February 15, 2012, 6:55 pm 

[quote="BrokeAssSeven"]
...and have some hick fun!
[quote]

Not sure what to call you, but yer too fer north to be a hick! LOL

Mikey B in FL

PostPosted: February 15, 2012, 7:42 pm 

Alright guys.. how the hell do you make these compound cuts on the front assembly? I've got the upper and lower tubes cut and jigged up to receive the side members, but even looking at the plans, I can't for the life of me picture how these are supposed to look, or what angles to cut first, and what faces to cut them on.

Should I just break down and find a compound mitre saw and buy a metal cutting disk and do it that way? I'd like to use my bandsaw so I don't have to go bother anyone/buy anything, but if it's the only way to do it.. then I will.

Blog post will be up soon :).

This build is already locosting a fortune...

PostPosted: February 15, 2012, 9:30 pm 
Always Moore!

Bench grinder. If you don't have one (and a face shield, ear muffs, and respirator) already you'll need it later for something. Once you get the hang of grinding tubes, you can crank them out pretty quickly or at least fine tune tubes cut on the saw.

I've done compound cuts on the HF bandsaw but its a pain to set up. You have to take the larger angle, set the saw to it, then angle the piece up or down in the vise to get the other angle.

PostPosted: February 15, 2012, 9:50 pm 

I laid out the the angles on all four sides with a protractor then took a hack saw and cut along each line. It takes like 10 min, and is way simpler than trying to set up the saw, trust me. I spent a good hour and a half trying to get the angles cut right on my power hack saw what a wast of time, and materials.

PostPosted: February 16, 2012, 1:05 am 

Take some of that wood and build a jig. You can load the upper and lower L tubes into the jig, then file the sides until they fit.

PostPosted: February 16, 2012, 10:00 am 

nick47 wrote:
Take some of that wood and build a jig. You can load the upper and lower L tubes into the jig, then file the sides until they fit.

BrokeAssSeven wrote:
I've got the upper and lower tubes cut and jigged up to receive the side members

Done :).

a.moore wrote:
Bench grinder. If you don't have one (and a face shield, ear muffs, and respirator) already you'll need it later for something.

I do have a bench grinder.. that's what I'm using for final fitment right now, cleaning up burrs, and cleaning off the ends for welding. (It's a 6" bench grinder, stone on one side, wire brush on the other). And also have muffs and a respirator.. went to school back in the day for mobile electronics.. had to buy all that stuff for loud noises and fiberglass. Fun stuff.

So are you saying, just load the upper and lower arms, cut the side members to the longest length on the plan, and just grind the piss out of them until they fit? I see this going wrong, haha. It's probably going to be what happens though.

WelderLee wrote:
I laid out the the angles on all four sides with a protractor then took a hack saw and cut along each line. It takes like 10 min, and is way simpler than trying to set up the saw, trust me. I spent a good hour and a half trying to get the angles cut right on my power hack saw what a wast of time, and materials.

My problem is I can't visualize the angles/sides/etc in real life after looking at the plans. I can't tell what side is what, and there are angles everywhere. If I do figure it out your way, I'm going to be taking lots of pictures and writing lots of notes to help people in the future. So they can basically look at my pictures, look at the plans, and figure out what needs to be done. I'll be honest, I haven't looked to see if anyone else has done this...... time to go digging!

PostPosted: February 16, 2012, 10:10 am 

Ill look and see if i have pictures of how i did it. For some reason i think that i took pictures so i would not forget once i figured it out.

PostPosted: February 16, 2012, 10:23 am 

WelderLee wrote:
Ill look and see if i have pictures of how i did it. For some reason i think that i took pictures so i would not forget once i figured it out.

I'm probably just overthinking it like I was doing with some earlier stuff. Are there many other compound angles on this thing, or are these the only two? I haven't gone through the entire plan package in detail yet. -- No matter, thanks for looking!

PostPosted: February 16, 2012, 10:33 am 

Compound angles with square tube? I did it just like welderlee did. Pick a side, any side. We'll call it the front side for this discussion. Determine the angle and direction of that angle and mark it on that front face. Then the 2nd angle is marked on both the adjacent sides starting at the both ends of the first, front line. You now have 3 faces marked; a front and 2 sides. The last face (back face) should have the same angle as the front and the ends should line up with the 2 ends of the side faces. Cut to those lines using a cutoff wheel, a hack saw or favorite weapon of destruction. I usually add a piece of painters tape up to the marked lines. They are much easier to see when using a cutoff wheel.

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: February 16, 2012, 12:14 pm 

I just took some quick pictures to hep show the process. the example is LA or LB from a book frame.

First thing you do is set your adjustable square to the first angle of 76.3 degrees and draw the first line.

Then reset your square to the next angle which was 62.8 degrees draw this line on the two sides adjacent connecting it to the first line you drew

Now set your square back to the original angle of 76.3 degrees and connect the the two lines on the last side.

Now you have the angle drawn and all that is left to do is cut all the way around along the line.
If you do it carefully you will get good results. The scrap pice also has the opposite angle for the opposite side so you can save time if you use a long enough piece and get two opposite sides with one cut.

PostPosted: February 16, 2012, 12:20 pm 

WelderLee wrote:
I just took some quick pictures to hep show the process. the example is LA or LB from a book frame.

First thing you do is set your adjustable square to the first angle of 76.3 degrees and draw the first line.

Then reset your square to the next angle which was 62.8 degrees draw this line on the two sides adjacent connecting it to the first line you drew

Now set your square back to the original angle of 76.3 degrees and connect the the two lines on the last side.

Now you have the angle drawn and all that is left to do is cut all the way around along the line.

We are now best friends. This made it way easier to understand. We'll see what happens tonight.

PostPosted: February 16, 2012, 2:45 pm 
We are Slotus!

Yo, Welder Lee-
GREAT job, Man!!! Good tutorial, with good pictures! Well done!

I don't need to make those cuts right at the moment. However, I betcha there are lots of folks who do, and they will benefit greatly from your post!

Thank You, Sir!

JD Kemp

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: February 16, 2012, 5:44 pm 

GonzoRacer wrote:
Yo, Welder Lee-

I don't need to make those cuts right at the moment. However, I betcha there are lots of folks who do, and they will benefit greatly from your post!

Thank You, Sir!

JD Kemp

+1 to this reply. Welderlee, You should definitely post a topic with this in the 'building your own frame' forum. I don't want to see it go hidden in the depths of what this build log will become. In all reality, it needs to be a sticky!

Speaking of what this build log will become... are the quantity of my posts too much? I see some people update their build log like once every 2 weeks.. and i'm on here probably at least every other day, if not everyday. Is it too much?

Edit: Too many tack welds, or is this fine? I feel like it's fine.. there is one on the inside bottom corners of each of them also.. it keeps every tube from moving in any direction. Trying to combat shrink warpage, even with tacking. After all was said and done, is when I had the 100% perfectly square situation.

Last edited by BrokeAssSeven on February 16, 2012, 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: February 16, 2012, 5:48 pm 

Personally, I don't think there is such a thing as 'too many posts' on subject matter like ours.

And the same goes for 'too many pictures' even moreso!

PostPosted: February 16, 2012, 5:50 pm 

BrokeAssSeven wrote:

We are now best friends. This made it way easier to understand. We'll see what happens tonight.

Awesome :D I hope it works out. You will have to post some pictures of the results

GonzoRacer wrote:
Yo, Welder Lee-

Thank You, Sir!

JD Kemp

No probIem :D thanks for the compliments. I hope that it helps people figure how to make the cuts, because once you figure it out it is pretty easy but I know from experience it can be frustrating to visualize.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 369 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 25  Next