LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 28, 2024, 4:51 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: DCMike's V8 Locost
PostPosted: September 11, 2014, 3:07 pm 

Been lurking about here asking the random question for a while now. I think it's time to finally start the build log and get this thing going. Here is the current plan as of today:

+442E McSorley Chassis
331 Ford with 10:1 compression (currently have 302 block stripped and at the engine builders)
T5 from a 99 Mustang (going to rebuild just so I don't have to worry about it later) will be matted up with Ford Racing Aluminum Bellhousing and adapter plate
Ford 8.8 IRS (plucked one from an old lincoln) with explorer rear diff cover and Auburn HP Series diff (3.55 or 3.73 gearing, haven't decided yet)

This was originally going to be a FFR Type 65 build but was intrigued by the idea of building it all myself, so here I am, we'll see if that turns out to be a wise decision.

Picked up the materials for the build table (4'x8' sheet of particleboard and a 4'x8' sheet of plywood as well as some 10' lengths of 2"x4" 20ga metal studs) and will be starting on that this weekend. Have some test tubing I need to brush up my TIG welding on and then will be ordering the start of the frame tubing shortly.

No donor vehicle as I'll be making a wiring harness and control arms, and picking up other pieces as I need them from salvage yard, Rock Auto, or some other online source. Looking forward to getting started and hearing advice as I go along and I'll have some pictures of the start this weekend.

Post subject: Re: DCMike's V8 Locost
PostPosted: September 11, 2014, 4:02 pm 

Welcome to the forum, this will definitely be cheaper than building a Type 65. 8)

Al

PostPosted: September 11, 2014, 4:16 pm 
We are Slotus!

Howdy Mike-
Welcome to the forum. Where are you? Is "DC" your location or the kind of electricity you prefer?

Sounds like you've got the makin's of a beast there, Bro... I've got a 302, lightly modified, along with a stock T5 from a Mustang and a Mustang Cobra IRS diff (3.27:1 ratio) and it's a brute. Accelerates like you would not believe. Rumors about me needing a seat drain are untrue, but not by much. These cars are so much lighter than most anything any of us have ever driven, that the power-to-weight ratio will blow ya away. It's a hoot!

Any-hoo, enjoy your build, keep us posted. Pictures are nice, 'specially for Bubba, he don't read much... Same is true for some other folks in here, but we ain't namin' nobody. We're not, are we, Perry?... :mrgreen:

Good luck with it!
:cheers:
JD Kemp

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: September 12, 2014, 12:31 am 

Another 302 build! Good on you, Gonzo is right, it may be a good idea to build toilet paper holder under the dash.

I almost missed this post because there were no pictures.

I'll be watching this build, darned if Bubba gets all the glory!

'If man built it, man can fix it'
"No one ever told me I couldn't do it."
"If you can't build it safe, don't build it."

Perry's Locost Super Che7enette Build
Perry's TBird Based 5.0L Super 7 L.S.O
Perry's S10 Super 7 The 3rd
Perry's 4th Build The Topolino 500 (Little Mouse) Altered
Perry's 5th Build the Super Slant 6 Super 7
Perry's Final Build the 1929 Mercedes Gazelle

PostPosted: September 12, 2014, 8:13 am 

Started to put together the build table. 3/4" particleboard on top, 3/4" plywood on bottom. Figured that way I can flip it and use as a workbench as well.

Also got the old Explorer motor torn down to the block and dropped off at the builders. Plan right now is Aluminum heads, 4.030 bore, 331 stroker crank, custom grind cam, and EFI. I think that might provide a little torque to the ole gal.

Probably put the tubing on order this week, going with 1.25" 16ga square tube.

I'm sure I'll be looking to you guys (JD I'm looking in your direction) when it comes to setting up the rear IRS. But that me be a minute.

PostPosted: September 12, 2014, 9:17 am 
The voice of reason

I was going to mention the 1.25" tube for the frame rails.

Torque is not a problem with these builds, or maybe it is a problem, too much. There was a pointer here to a company selling Ford Motorsport pushrod crate engines for $4100 without the carb and a 20000 mile warranty. I think it was $4800 with carb and manifold. So it might be worth looking around a bit.

PostPosted: September 12, 2014, 11:19 am 

Welcome to the forum Mike.

Not a huge deal, but I much prefer having a build table with a MDF top vs particle board (PB). The MDF is typically smooth, whereas the PB, depending upon which grade you get, is quite rough in contrast. If your measuring off the table, PB can put you off by a mill or two depending upon where you measure from and the quality of the wood.

PostPosted: September 12, 2014, 11:30 am 
Toyotaphobe

I'll double the comment about torque not being a problem with cars this light except for maybe too much. In the Exploder more torque would have been welcomed but here you'd prefer a more gentle and more linear application of power to make the cars easier to control and not make you look like you don't know how to drive.

Ideally you'll build your engine completely different on a car this light than you would for a heavy Detroit monster. You have completely different needs.

Just make sure your cam is more of a top end cam rather than a torquer and then you'll learn to control it.

I can explain it to you,
but I can't understand it for you.

PostPosted: September 12, 2014, 12:13 pm 

Thanks for the update guys. Yeah I was being a little facetious with the torque comment. Realizing the power to weight ratio I'm looking at as well as torque to weight, is driving some of my choices. I've had a couple of motors built in the past for applications like drag/road racing, and done some rebuilding and performance driving, but never build any of them from literally scratch. So looking forward to the adventure and the help :cheers:

I only later realized about the PB vs MDF, and was thinking about just it a quick sand with the palm sander to get it nice and flat, what are you guys thoughts on that?

PostPosted: September 12, 2014, 12:15 pm 
We are Slotus!

Quote:
going with 1.25" 16ga square tube.

I'm sure I'll be looking to you guys (JD I'm looking in your direction) when it comes to setting up the rear IRS. But that me be a minute.

I used 1.5 inch 16 ga square tube and 1.5 round DOM for the cage. Mostly because at that point we were pretty much guessing the final weight of the car, and therefore guessing the size round DOM we'd need for an SCCA-legal roll cage. 1.5 DOM was about right as far as the SCCA goes, as it turns out, but I'd rather have too much roll cage than not enough. If you're going to do any SCCA track events, check their rulebook for cage specs.

Help setting up the IRS? Sure... You want the first time I set it up, or after we broke a CV joint, or after we moved all the pickup points or... Well, you get the idea... :mrgreen:

:cheers:
JDK

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: September 13, 2014, 10:07 am 

DCMike wrote:
I only later realized about the PB vs MDF, and was thinking about just it a quick sand with the palm sander to get it nice and flat, what are you guys thoughts on that?

I think that would get you a smooth surface, but not necessarily a flat one.

Subscribing to this one, I have an Explorer 5.0 and an '04 Mustang T5 in my garage awaiting a project, so I'm excited to see what you do with yours. Picked out heads yet? Going Megasquirt?

PostPosted: September 13, 2014, 10:30 am 

After doing some measurements and leveling last night I've determined the surface seems to be adequate for what I'm about to do. So no sanding is going to take place.

Laminar, yep going with Megasquirt. For heads there is a company in PA called Liberty Performance that my engine builder turned me onto. I've heard lots of good things about them and going to give them a run. Aluminum heads with flow numbers similar to an AFR head.

Have some sample tube i'm going to weld on this weekend till my order comes in, then time to get started.

PostPosted: September 15, 2014, 7:48 pm 

So while I'm waiting on my frame material to get delivered I've been practicing up my TIG welding on some sample tube. I did a bit of research on the ways to remove mill scale (flap disc, muratic acid, etc), which for TIG is essential to a good weld. But I tell ya, I tried an Avanti Pro Quick Strip disc on my DeWalt grinder and it worked like a charm, literally in seconds with no material loss. A quick wipe with some Acetone and this will be all ready to go.

PostPosted: September 15, 2014, 10:17 pm 
Toyotaphobe

Can you post a picture of this Avanti?

I'm pretty sure it's not this one.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

I can explain it to you,
but I can't understand it for you.

PostPosted: September 16, 2014, 10:18 am 

HA, nice.

This one is just as smooth though.