LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 28, 2024, 4:26 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: G13B Powered Locost
PostPosted: February 7, 2012, 5:19 pm 

Good evening chaps,

I'm a long time reader and first time poster on LocostUSA. I've knocked about a few car forums over the years but keep coming back to LocostUSA as there are so many scratch builds and proper engineering, it was about time I signed up. Although I'm from the UK I like my Hotrods and have been known to watch a fair few Nascars races on the box, I like country music and beer, so I'm sure I'll find something in common with some of you :)

I study mechanical engineering and am currently on a year long work placement at a well known Formula 1 team.

My build is a classic sized chassis (Ron Champion Book size, not plus size in any way) running a Suzuki Swift GTi engine on throttle bodies and megasquirt. The suspension is independent all round with custom uprights. The engine has been run but she is yet to hit the floor on all four wheels, which is the plan for the summer.

I started building her in my gap year before university (2008) where my dad taught me to fabricate and laminate, and I've been building her on and off ever since.

You can check out the whole build so far at http://www.joshogilvie.com/, but if you can't be bothered to go there here are some pictures of the car so far and the day I got it running:

Good luck with your builds, I'll be hanging about :)

Last edited by LocostJosh on February 22, 2013, 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: G13B Powered Locost
PostPosted: February 8, 2012, 2:53 am 

Looking good so far!...Although maybe you should offer your chassis up for possible engine reliability testing. :cheers:

"Orville Wright did not have a pilots license." - Gordon MacKenzie

PostPosted: February 8, 2012, 3:44 am 
The voice of reason

Welcome, glad to have you knocking about. Nice shirt, "Built, not Bought".

Sounds like you've been having good adventures. Do you travel with your team or just slave at the home base?

Looks like nice work on your car too!

PostPosted: February 8, 2012, 4:21 am 

Awesome build! That looks like my garage! Lol well, before it rolled into the neighbor's trees... You've just given me hope!

Can't wait to see that thing run!

PostPosted: February 8, 2012, 9:37 am 

Welcome to the group. I also have a GTi motor and Samurai trans but it has been setting on a motor cradle for the last three years waiting to go in my already running Locost. I plan on using M/C carbs and some type of megasquirt for the ignition. I will be following your build very closely. Keep us posted. Have you seen this on the Suzuki Swift forum? http://www.teamswift.net/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=45505. Russ

PostPosted: February 8, 2012, 12:27 pm 

Looks good!

I'm a little concerned about what appears to be a loop in your accelerator cable running next to and slightly above the pedal, it seems to me that there's a risk of catching your foot in the loop but I tend to be paranoid about such things.

:cheers:

PostPosted: February 8, 2012, 1:56 pm 

Welcome!

G13B is a great engine for one of these. It was on my short list but never turned up.
Nice start!!
Probably find a lot of F1 fans here :wink:

+1 on the accelerator cable issue. It would be a good idea to reroute. The foot space is cramped and it's a
prime candidate for snags.

2002 Toyota Tacoma
1999 BMW M3

PostPosted: February 8, 2012, 2:05 pm 
Mid-Engined Maniac

Yeah I'd like to get a shirt that says that, "Built not bought."

PostPosted: February 8, 2012, 2:29 pm 

Welcome Josh. Your build certainly looks interesting so far. I scanned through your blog site and enjoyed seeing the details of how you did certain things like you pedals. You've really done a lot.

I'll be very interested in how the Suzuki engine works out on the road. It looks like it was absolutely made for your Locost. I've not seen a Suzuki engine in any other Locost so far and I'm thinking that given Suzuki's history it's a light, powerful and very high-reving engine. Now that you've done it (the hard part), I'm wondering why we have seen more of that engine here in the USA.

Good going!

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: February 8, 2012, 2:48 pm 

oldejack wrote:
Looks good!

I'm a little concerned about what appears to be a loop in your accelerator cable running next to and slightly above the pedal, it seems to me that there's a risk of catching your foot in the loop but I tend to be paranoid about such things.

:cheers:

I've sat in the chassis a decent number of times making brum noises and pushing the pedals as I had the same concern :P . It does glide on my shoe but its very close to the side panel, what I am going to do though is P-Clip it to the aluminum side panel next to where it is "loose", which ensures no problems- other than that the cable itself is rock solid and you can't get your foot stuck in it :)

The G13B is a great little engine and they rebuild so easily, everything is stamped/labelled already for you so with a little bit of patients it all goes back together. The only thing I would say is that it comes from a FWD car and this is evident in everything that is attached to it. Both water rails point in the wrong direction, the standard inlet manifold is bulky at best and its likely you'll have to fabricate an exhaust manifold, oh and a sump too.

As for F1 im located back at home base, learning vehicle dynamics and operations room on race weekends.

The T-shirt is from classic ford magazine over here in the UK, my brother has a 59' Ford Popular that we work on from time to time so I caught the Ford bug early :)

Thanks for all the positive comments, I'm trying to keep a high attention to detail and hopefully it will pay off.

PostPosted: February 8, 2012, 4:18 pm 

It looks really good. Im just curious, how tall is the rear hoop above the mounting plates on your roll cage.?

PostPosted: February 8, 2012, 5:31 pm 

Welcome to the group Josh. Your build looks really great. Except of course the steering wheel/controls should be on the other side. :lol:

Re: F1, as I told my grandson when he went off to college, "Your main job now is to be a sponge." So learn all you can in your time with the F1 team. That's a great opportunity. :)

Keep us posted on your progress.

PostPosted: February 8, 2012, 6:10 pm 

WelderLee wrote:
It looks really good. Im just curious, how tall is the rear hoop above the mounting plates on your roll cage.?

No idea off the top of my head, I'll get a measurement on the weekend. I made sure it was enough with me in the car, with a helmet on, with the bars completely above my head, just. My driving style is quite "sit up" compared to most, its where i feel comfortable, so i would think its an inch or so higher than some, but i think the proportions look good :)

@olrowdy: I know what you mean about being an information sponge, I'm working with some of the best names in the industry so the rate of learning, and quality of learning, is fantastic. The internet and even textbooks can be some what of a rumour mill so its nice to get it from people who have tried and know.

PostPosted: February 8, 2012, 8:08 pm 

LocostJosh wrote:
@olrowdy: I know what you mean about being an information sponge, I'm working with some of the best names in the industry so the rate of learning, and quality of learning, is fantastic. The internet and even textbooks can be some what of a rumour mill so its nice to get it from people who have tried and know.
Exactly. You've got a car enthusiasts dream job. Enjoy.

PostPosted: February 8, 2012, 11:30 pm 
We are Slotus!

Hi Josh-
Good looking build you've got there. I love the header. Looks like a circle track "over the frame" exhaust... Not bad at all!!!

NASCAR and beer? Who, us? :shock: Nahhhh... (I'm partial to Carl Edwards myself, don't know about the rest of 'em in here.) I like the BTCC and really enjoy the Aussie V8 Supers. Good stuff!

I can't help being a little jealous of that job. I'd give my left... Well, let's say "ear" to go back in time and have that job at your age! Wow, enjoy it, Buddy, it don't get any better than that!

Keep us posted on your progress, the car's looking great so far! :cheers:
Regards-
JD Kemp

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom