LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 6:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: G13B Powered Locost
PostPosted: November 5, 2012, 10:41 pm 

Looks great. Very clean. I love the motor too.

PostPosted: November 6, 2012, 2:46 am 

Lonnie-S wrote:
krepus wrote:
Can't wait to see it run! What other vehicles is this engine available in? Is this the same as the Geo Storm GSi?

Found this today... http://www.teamswift.net/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=45505

Thanks for the URL. I'm going to monitor that site. We are absolutely swimming in the General Motors versions of those vehicles. I'll have to educate myself about which are 3-cylinder versus I4s, etc. There was an attempt to start up a Locost race series here in North America based on the Suzuki family and the very successful UK sports car racing organization (name escapes me), which unfortunately did not go anywhere.

Add me to the list of people anxious to see this build on the road. I think your choice to go simple versus turbo is a good one.

Cheers,

Hey Lonnie, I think the 750 Motor Club is what some were trying to replicate here... :cheers:

PostPosted: November 6, 2012, 10:34 am 

krepus wrote:
Hey Lonnie, I think the 750 Motor Club is what some were trying to replicate here... :cheers:

Yup, that's it. Thanks.

As an sad aside, I just read a story this morning about Suzuki USA going into bankruptcy and re-organizing to eliminate its new car sales organization in the USA. The story states this will have no effect on the sales of motorcycles, OHVs, boat engines, etc., which are all apparently viable. It clearly should not have an effect on cars manufactured for GM either as this is just the USA subsidiary of the company. Does Suzuki make vehicles for other North American manufacturers besides GM?

I wouldn't worry about mechanical components and replacements in future. There are 3-4 companies just here in SoCal that can get anything you need from the Asian markets and they usually have a good inventory of parts.

Cheers,

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: January 21, 2013, 3:11 am 

Any more updates?

PostPosted: February 22, 2013, 6:51 pm 

Its been a little while and I have no pictures to show for it but here is how I've got on:

I was waiting for the winter holidays from uni to get a good two weeks or so in on the car but as with all things its the unforeseen issues that slow you down. About ten minutes into running the car getting ready to map on my drive it blew the gasket on the oil pump and pissed oil all over the drive. I managed to turn it off before I saw any oil pressure drop.

I took the front end apart and the oil pump off, the gasket I had used was obviously the wrong shape. I don't know how I had missed this but then again it was ~3 years ago that I built this engine and I have a better eye for detail these days. So I got my brother to use his micro-mill at work and o-ringed the pump so it should never leak again, made a new gasket and got it back together.

Having ripped my megasquirt apart to put in fan control to fix my temperature issue I was back and running again BUT having got the engine up to temperature something was wrong as the oil pressure would creep down until it switched on my 20psi safety light. Confused and tired at this point I dropped tools and went back to uni to study for my winter exams.

After exams I got a few days off so I pulled the sump on the engine. I had a hunch it was a problem with the pickup (same symptom on VW golfs when they get a gunky pickup apparently) and what do you know the filter screen had sucked onto the pickup pipe, very much limiting the oil to the engine when its hot. So I modified this so it would never happen again, sump back on and she runs smooth never dropping below 40psi. :D

So but for an expandy foam seat I havn't been able to do much else on the car, university work is full on at the moment but I plan to get a few weeks over easter to make and mount the back panels and drive it a little before its first autosolo on the 14th of April :)

PostPosted: February 22, 2013, 7:56 pm 
The voice of reason

:cheers:

Keep at it, sounds like you're doingthe right stuff....

PostPosted: February 23, 2013, 1:47 am 

FYI John,

My Mate runs a reliable and genuine 180+hp from his G13B, if you need to contact him give me a yell.

I will be eventually using G16B parts for another project as well, Suzuki parts are easy to get over here as they are used for many cities taxis.

PostPosted: February 23, 2013, 2:33 pm 

horizenjob wrote:
:cheers:

Keep at it, sounds like you're doingthe right stuff....

Will do! It turns out you have to earn a fun car as well as build it... :)

PostPosted: April 13, 2013, 12:37 pm 

I did alot over the easter break this year :) check out my new site at http://www.joshogilvie.com for a full update.

...and more pictures!

PostPosted: April 13, 2013, 2:54 pm 

Man I wish I had the time and knowledge to put my GTi motor in my Locost like that. Your not planning an extended trip to the States next winter are you????? Great looking car. Russ

PostPosted: April 14, 2013, 9:02 am 

trialsmangasgas wrote:
Man I wish I had the time and knowledge to put my GTi motor in my Locost like that. Your not planning an extended trip to the States next winter are you????? Great looking car. Russ

Thankyou! It's a bit of a dream of mine to eventually do a tour of the states seeing all my favorite locost builds over there as I really do owe a lot of my motivation to the stuff I've seen on this site. Unfortunately(/Fortunately) I'm starting my first proper post-degree job in June so it will be a few years before I save up the time and money to come across.

If you've got any questions on the engine install just shoot and I'll answer the best I can.

PostPosted: April 14, 2013, 10:33 am 

Thanks I will take you up on that. Russ

PostPosted: January 6, 2014, 4:59 pm 

A bit of paint and an autosolo :)

PostPosted: January 6, 2014, 11:23 pm 

Looking good. I'm glad you were able to stick with it and get the car to this level.

How's the performance relative to your expectations when constricting it?

Cheers,

Lonnie

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: January 7, 2014, 6:18 pm 

Lonnie-S wrote:
Looking good. I'm glad you were able to stick with it and get the car to this level.

How's the performance relative to your expectations when constricting it?

Cheers,

Lonnie

I've not got the engine 100% dialed in yet. I'm upgrading to a Megasquirt 2 ECU running extra code so I can make use of the latest ITB Mode code, looking at my data its definitely needed.

However at times when the fueling is right and the throttle is down its stupid quick and makes the most glorious noise. Completely worth the time it took to build and the development is equally as fun building.

Performance wise its no slow coach. I weighed the car over Christmas and can confirm that it is safely sub 500 kg :)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next