LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently August 18, 2018, 2:09 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 396 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27  Next
PostPosted: December 9, 2014, 2:21 pm 

I think braided split loom looks a little better than corrugated plastic and its just as easy to work with...

PostPosted: December 9, 2014, 3:30 pm 

That's nice looking, where did you get it? I used the plastic stuff that I recycled from the donor car. Low cost but I'd like to do better.

PostPosted: December 9, 2014, 3:34 pm 

RTz wrote:
I think braided split loom looks a little better than corrugated plastic and its just as easy to work with...

Thanks - I really like the look of that braided loom - I think I'll use that.

PostPosted: December 10, 2014, 9:37 pm 

Seriously thanks!! I was looking for a loom to do the harness on the kart.

PostPosted: December 10, 2014, 10:32 pm 

http://www.cabletiesandmore.com/WrapAroundSleeving.php

For the wire braid.

PostPosted: December 16, 2014, 11:04 pm 

Sorry, I somehow missed the thread notifications. I bought my last batch from waytekwire.com, but I believe there are multiple vendors that sell it.

PostPosted: January 1, 2015, 8:56 pm 

Thanks for the additional info on sourcing the loom - that's coming up next on the list of things to do.

I wanted to add a 3rd brakelight mounted on the roll bar, since the tail lights are so close to the ground and I plan to use this car on the street some. I couldn't find one that I really liked, so I decided to make my own. I used bright red LED's and machined a housing out of aluminum & painted it black to match the rollbar. I actually made this housing before I had the roll bar powder coated, and added the mounting tabs and hidden wiring holes a while back. The LED's are wired in 3 groups parallel of 5 lamps in series - this eliminates the need for any resistors in the wiring. To get the spacing right when I solder them together I made a fixture (1st photo). Then the three groups are wired in parallel and mounted into the housing - all is held in place and waterproofed by filling the cavity with silicone. The end result is pretty clean and simple, yet very bright - the photo doesn't do justice to how bright it is.

Attachments:
File comment: Lamp soldering fixture.
407.JPG
407.JPG [ 153.54 KiB | Viewed 1942 times ]
File comment: Lamp sub-assemblies & housing.
408.JPG
408.JPG [ 174.03 KiB | Viewed 1942 times ]
File comment: Finished light housing mounted on roll bar.
409.JPG
409.JPG [ 117.39 KiB | Viewed 1942 times ]
File comment: brake lights!
410.JPG
410.JPG [ 169.3 KiB | Viewed 1942 times ]

PostPosted: January 1, 2015, 9:12 pm 

The final thing I need to do before the car is ready for the state inspection is to mount mirrors. For the side mirrors I picked up some formula style mirrors for motorcycle use - available on amazon for around $26/pr. They're actually pretty nice and very light too.

I wanted to mount them to the wind deflectors on the windscreen, so I had to make those first. I used 3/16" acrylic sheet that I cut out on the mill. I carefully bent them using a heat gun and a pattern for the radius (made of sheet aluminum & covered in paper to protect the hot plastic. The deflectors turned out pretty well for a first attempt, and I machined the hinge assemblies out of black delrin with slip & press fits for the stainless steel pivot pin.

Word on the street is these deflectors make a big improvement in wind buffeting, and turned out to be a pretty good place to mount the side mirrors.

For the rear view mirror I purchased a mirror from a guy in the local Lotus group - he sells them from his website here:

http://www.mirrorsforsevens.com/

It's kind of like a half-size version of a "wink" mirror, and it fits the Seven perfectly. Bob makes a really nice product, and it fits pretty well on my 1/2" aluminum channel - I used some thin inner-tube rubber as a shim for a really tight fit on the windshield frame (they're made for Caterhams which use 5/8" channel).

Attachments:
File comment: formula style moto mirrors.
411.JPG
411.JPG [ 202.76 KiB | Viewed 1940 times ]
File comment: cut acrylic for wind deflectors.
412.JPG
412.JPG [ 151.03 KiB | Viewed 1940 times ]
File comment: wind deflectors & mirrors
413.JPG
413.JPG [ 166.14 KiB | Viewed 1940 times ]
File comment: rear view mirror.
414.JPG
414.JPG [ 141.39 KiB | Viewed 1940 times ]
File comment: Mirror mounting
415.JPG
415.JPG [ 191.36 KiB | Viewed 1940 times ]
File comment: final mirror install.
416.JPG
416.JPG [ 182.06 KiB | Viewed 1940 times ]

PostPosted: January 1, 2015, 9:20 pm 

I hope to start the paperwork process of getting the state issued VIN and title work done soon - but since winter is in full swing outside, I'm really not in a hurry. For now I'll continue working on some details so the car will be ready to drive in the spring.

Next up is modifying the miata jack to nest on the square tubing of the Seven frame, and finding a mounting place in the trunk.

I also want to make some vents for the bonnet. I like these vents I found on a newer mustang - I think I'll make three of them and mount them flush on the underside of the bonnet - should be easy to wrap the vinyl around those openings, and give some good ventilation for the heater inlet and release some engine heat from under the cover.

Attachments:
File comment: miata jack.
417.JPG
417.JPG [ 160.62 KiB | Viewed 1938 times ]
File comment: proposed bonnet vent locations.
418.JPG
418.JPG [ 123.87 KiB | Viewed 1938 times ]
File comment: late model mustang vents.
419.jpg
419.jpg [ 38.66 KiB | Viewed 1938 times ]

PostPosted: January 2, 2015, 12:09 am 
Toyotaphobe

I like the deflectors and mirrors BUT . . . having messed with deflectors on Cobras I know there's not one right setting for them. It changes upon weather conditions, temps and wind direction and speed.

It appears that if you change your deflector angle you also change your mirror settings. That won't be good long term

I can explain it to you,
but I can't understand it for you.

PostPosted: January 2, 2015, 12:18 am 

carguy123 wrote:
I like the deflectors and mirrors BUT . . . having messed with deflectors on Cobras I know there's not one right setting for them. It changes upon weather conditions, temps and wind direction and speed.

It appears that if you change your deflector angle you also change your mirror settings. That won't be good long term

The deflector angle is non-adjustable, so it's a non-issue. Having the deflector significantly reduces turbulence so I'll probably always run them, and the doors I will eventually make will have their own mirrors mounted to them. With the panoramic rear-view the side mirrors are redundant anyway, so it'll probably be fine.

PostPosted: January 2, 2015, 1:07 am 
The voice of reason

Quote:
The LED's are wired in 3 groups parallel of 5 lamps in series - this eliminates the need for any resistors in the wiring.

I'm surprised you can do this. The car will only have 12-12.5 volts at idle but more like 14.5 when it's running. I guess they aren't perfect diodes? Nice job on them and they should do make the car way more visible. Recently I've been seeing some vehicles that flash the brake lights once really fast when they first go on and that help get your attention too. I think it was some type of work vehicle.

PostPosted: January 2, 2015, 11:06 am 

Nice, clean work on everything. It's a great build, John.

Cheers,

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: January 2, 2015, 11:31 am 

horizenjob wrote:
Quote:
The LED's are wired in 3 groups parallel of 5 lamps in series - this eliminates the need for any resistors in the wiring.

I'm surprised you can do this. The car will only have 12-12.5 volts at idle but more like 14.5 when it's running. I guess they aren't perfect diodes? Nice job on them and they should do make the car way more visible. Recently I've been seeing some vehicles that flash the brake lights once really fast when they first go on and that help get your attention too. I think it was some type of work vehicle.

Well, I guess we'll see how long it lasts. I think the LED's are pretty robust. At 14.5V it will burn brighter and affect the lifespan some, but it will be a long time before they fail. I made a lamp like this for my Henderson (6V) about 12 years ago and it's still working fine.

PostPosted: June 7, 2015, 11:25 pm 

Wow, I didn't realize it had been 6-months since my last post. I've been busy with a lot of other stuff, and some work travel thrown in there too. Progress seems a little slow, but looking back I guess I've been working steadily over the past few months.

A few months ago while I was warming the car up, doing some coolant expansion tank testing, and I noticed that the water pump pulley was running a bit wobbly. It seems that it must have just gotten tagged by something in the accident that totaled the donor car, so I figured I'd better replace not just the pulley, but the water pump as well. Good time to replace the timing belt as well, and as long as I'm in there, I'll block off the thermostat outlet on the head, since I'm no longer using it with the coolant re-route. After that I spent some time and installed all the wiring loom. The result is seen below - nicely cleaned up the engine compartment. Oh, I also decided to add a 2nd expansion tank to the coolant system, to allow more room for coolant to expand before getting puked out into the puke tank. It all turned out pretty nice and works like OEM.

I also finished the trunk floor using some 5mm plywood and made a mount for the jack and jack handle in the trunk area.

Next up was the vents I had mentioned before. I made them from thin aluminum sheet and am really happy with how they work and the look is pretty cool too. This will be much easier to apply vinyl wrap to the bonnet instead of 70 or so punched louvers.

Attachments:
File comment: Cleaned up engine compartment.
420.JPG
420.JPG [ 245.53 KiB | Viewed 1645 times ]
File comment: Jack mount in trunk.
421.JPG
421.JPG [ 179.68 KiB | Viewed 1645 times ]
File comment: Assembling vents.
422.JPG
422.JPG [ 155.78 KiB | Viewed 1645 times ]
File comment: Bonnet vents installed.
423.JPG
423.JPG [ 118.95 KiB | Viewed 1660 times ]

Last edited by Wheezer on June 9, 2015, 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 396 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27  Next