LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 28, 2024, 9:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: April 18, 2012, 8:48 am 

Hi! I am glad i found this awesome forum. It seems like an awesome place to learn and share. I have been a welder and welding engineer for the last 12 years or so, so i have heavy experience in that area but am still new to cars. I am in the planning phase of my build now. I am currently restoring a 1960 Ford F-250 and should be finished this summer. Once i finish that i plan to start my LOCOST build. I already have my donor since i wrecked my 92 miata not long ago and decided on this project instead of fixing it. and i of course have Keith Tanner's book.

Current thoughts and ideas:
-my goal is to keep things pretty much "stock" with the original design. i dont want to race it though. it will primarily be a street car. i may add bumpers or even a removable top. and i will probably fab my own nose cone and fenders.
-i am definatly going to build my own frame. im thinking the +442E will be easier to make things fit
-i will probably use the mitata rear sub-frame
-since my miata is currently titled and VIN'd already i should hopefully be able to keep it registered as a Miata. thats not 100% yet. i actually shot an email to the GA DMV yesterday and should hear back soon.
-i've looked through Tanner's book and some other build logs and am wondering if anyone has input on the overall process/order.

any comments and input is welcome. thanks!

PostPosted: April 18, 2012, 11:33 am 

Welcome Dave. Planning is good, but keep an open mind. The Miata is a great donor because it's been done before and so there'a a lot of good information about it out there. If you're new to cars, I think you're smart to stick with a proven design, at least this time around. As far as the build process goes, it's good to start with dismantling your donor and building your frame around the parts.

PostPosted: April 18, 2012, 12:09 pm 

nick47 wrote:
...and building your frame around the parts.

which parts would typically require consideration in the frame? i know the drive shaft tunnel needs to wait, and the miata rear sub-frame.
i figure everything else is small enough potatoes that i can modify or fab mounts on the fly.

PostPosted: April 18, 2012, 1:47 pm 

Specifically, the two center H-tubes, the G-tubes, and the R tube. If you copy an existing Miata-Locost 442 exactly, you may be able to build the frame without the donor. Otherwise you risk a lot of do-overs. Not that there's anything wrong with do-overs. This is supposed to be a learning experience.

Being able to measure parts you'll be installing is very helpful. Things like where to put the pedals and where to route the steering column. Little things like how big to make the holes for the brake line junctions.

PostPosted: April 18, 2012, 3:11 pm 

Great news from the DMV!

dave
Apr 17 (1 day ago)
to motorvehiclein.

Hi, I am wondering where the line is between a modified vehicle and an assembled vehicle? Basically I am planning on turning my Mazda (titled, registered, etc) into a replica of a different car and am hoping to keep it titled as a Mazda but need to know what the limit is.
Thanks!

-Dave

Greg Elton Greg.Elton@dor.ga.gov
2:38 PM (29 minutes ago)

to me

Officially from a registration stand point this is a fine line and it really doesn’t matter that much. But from an enforcement issue, it may be a little more concerning. For example if you have a 1987 Mazda RX-7 chassis and decide to fabricate a shell similar to a 1955 Ford T-bird on that chassis, we would still register it as the Mazda if you kept the title and registration active. However, if law enforcement ran your tag and it came back registered to a “blue 1986 Mazda RX-7” and the police was looking at what appears to be a “red 1955 Ford T-bird”, you may have some explaining to do.

Basically you need to consider how far away from the original vehicle are you going to stray in your build. Then the decision is yours as to whether to maintain the original registration or make the application for an assembled vehicle.

Greg Elton
Supervisor - Help Desk Administration Unit
Georgia Department of Revenue -
Motor Vehicle Division
P: 404.968.3800 | F: 678.747.6836

FASTER. FRIENDLIER. EASIER.