LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 1:08 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 265 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 18  Next
PostPosted: July 22, 2012, 11:43 pm 

Hello my name is Jason, I have been lurking here for years. I bought this car today. :D

The car has 1987 Toyota truck spindles, brakes and rear axle. The front suspension is cantilever with air bags, the rear suspension is four link also with air bags. The engine 79HP :oops: is from a 1982 Toyota Corolla with Honda Prelude carbs on it. The engine needs a rebuild, and I won't be doing it LOL. My boat does need a new anchor :lol: I want to swap a Nissan SR20DET engine and transmission into it.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower.
- Mark Donohue

Last edited by 7Degrees on August 3, 2012, 1:29 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: July 23, 2012, 12:18 am 

Hi Jason, I hereby approve your post (waves wand, shouts "Approvato!"; there's a flash and a loud bang, and as the smoke clears...) and that's quite an interesting car you've got there. Can you tell us its history? I've never seen front suspension quite like that and I'm curious about the rear as well.

7Degrees wrote:
The engine 79HP :oops:
If you've been lurking that long, you know I'm having a blast with 32 horsepower; if it's set up for the Corolla engine that'd be a quick way to get your car running. Since it's not going to be your permanent engine, I'd say skip the rebuild if it runs, and if it doesn't, replace it with a suitable beater (if you're anywhere near Southern Oregon, I'll give you the one I pulled out of the Corrode Warrior when I stuck in the Kubota--Free Engine, Ran When Parked, You Haul).

It looks like you have a very interesting start on your project, and please ignore my suggestion if the rest of the Corolla powerplant setup isn't there...but with that carb swap I'm guessing a previous owner had it actually running at one time ('cause who swaps carbs on a dead engine?) and you may be closer to driving than you think.

PostPosted: July 23, 2012, 1:02 am 

3t engine, nothing wrong with those.
Under-square, loves to wind up real high, a fair amount of aftermarket support.
Beware of broken piston ring lands if the prior owner liked to use a "too high" gear. ..

PostPosted: July 23, 2012, 1:32 am 

The previous owner spent six years building it. He built the majority of it at his work in British Columbia where he must have had access to all kinds of kool tools. The Corolla engine was running, but burning oil and in need of a rebuild. The 7's builder intended to rebuild the engine. When he bought the Corolla, the previous owner wanted to keep the original carb for some reason. It has never been run with the Prelude carbs. No offence to anyone, but rebuilding a 79HP engine when there are gently used SR20DET's with trans, wiring and ecu for $1500, does not seem cost or performance effective. :mrgreen: I take delivery of my new car on Wednesday, I will take a million pictures, it is a really interesting and unconventional build. I agree it would be way easier to leave the Toy engine in it, but I am in no rush. I have a couple cars (that I built) to keep me busy until the 7 is finished. This 7 seemed like a great deal, that I could just not pass up. Looks like all the hard work is already finished! I just finished a 1994 Mazda 323 with a JDM MX-6 engine Image

And I built this 1978 Ford Mustang II which I have owned for half my life.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower.
- Mark Donohue

PostPosted: July 23, 2012, 5:27 pm 

7Degrees wrote:
No offence to anyone, but rebuilding a 79HP engine when there are gently used SR20DET's with trans, wiring and ecu for $1500, does not seem cost or performance effective. :mrgreen:
I can speak for my co-named colleague as well as myself, that anyone named "Jack" who went to jr high and high school in America developed a pretty thick skin by his sophomore year, so no offense taken. Besides, with your skills, your car's history, and you're willingness to plunk down $1500 to get the engine you want, you're right anyway, and in your shoes I'd do the same.

I like it when my advice is rejected, followed by a "...and here's why," I generally learn from the experience. I don't enjoy it as much when my advice is rejected, followed by a "...you moron."

PostPosted: July 24, 2012, 7:51 pm 

Welcome to the group! Are you in BC as well, there is quite a contingent here. David

PostPosted: July 24, 2012, 8:06 pm 

dfdahl wrote:
Are you in BC as well

There are Ontario plates on the Mazda in the picture above. I'm guessing that Jason is to the right of me.

PostPosted: July 24, 2012, 8:13 pm 

Ah! I see blue and white just like BC. I should have looked a little closer. :oops:

PostPosted: July 24, 2012, 8:47 pm 

...probably closer to me....

PostPosted: July 24, 2012, 11:24 pm 

I am from Guelph, Ontario, Canada eh.

Thinkin' by the time you rebuild the 3T and rebuild the Prelude carbs (assuming you could calibrate them to work on a 3T) You could buy the SR20DET. My Locost gets delivered tomorrow :cheers: Can't wait! Stay tuned for a million or so pictures.

- Mark Donohue

PostPosted: July 25, 2012, 8:28 am 

Welcome aboard. A very interesting car you've got there. Interesting front suspension and hood (bonnet). Also looks like the PO spent a lot of thought and time on that driveshaft tunnel. It will be nice following the resurrection. Looking forwad to it. :cheers:

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: July 25, 2012, 8:57 am 

That driveshaft tunnel is very cool... Since the car is setup as rear steer you will have to find an engine that will fit lengthwise unless you want to do a complete front end rebuild.

2002 Toyota Tacoma
1999 BMW M3

PostPosted: July 25, 2012, 9:35 am 

7Degrees wrote:
I am from Guelph, Ontario, Canada eh.

Thinkin' by the time you rebuild the 3T and rebuild the Prelude carbs (assuming you could calibrate them to work on a 3T)

Did you consider it may just need rings, bearings and gaskets thrown at it for a couple of hundred bucks? 3T's are torque monsters and bulletproof as well as it's already there and fitted in - it's going to cost you more than just the "purchase price" to install anything else.

2T, 2TG or 3T taken out to 1940cc is one of my favourite engines of all time and boy have I seen the insides of a few - good old days (it may even be a 1940 already).

Last edited by cheapracer on July 25, 2012, 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: July 25, 2012, 10:09 am 

rx7locost wrote:
Also looks like the PO spent a lot of thought and time on that driveshaft tunnel.

And I'm thinking of doing the same thing -- would save 1-2" in the butt-axis measurement. It basically means you've got a big round tube instead of a collection of square tubes.

Louisville, KY
Hayes front, S10 +2 rear, Lalo body.

PostPosted: July 25, 2012, 10:43 pm 

Thanks for the compliments.

The builder was really proud of the tunnel, he claims its arch shape is stonger too. I realize an engine swap will cost more and add complexity, but I have a need for speed. :mrgreen:

The Locost got delivered today!

- Mark Donohue

Last edited by 7Degrees on July 25, 2012, 11:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 265 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 18  Next