LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 17, 2024, 10:13 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 265 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18
PostPosted: September 8, 2014, 5:14 pm 

Well to make a long boring story short, I wired the baby up and she is purring like a kitty.

The SR20DET engine harness was ridiculously easy to hook-up. Add three relays to power it up and vroom, vroom :-)
:cheers:

I took it for a blip up the road, the tach didn't work so I added a Autometer 9117 which was a easy fix. The gas gauge reads wrong, which I need to adjust, and the clutch takes two men and a small boy to depress, so I am engineering in some more leverage. Other then that perfect. It is ludicrously quick and oddly rides very smoothly. It is way quieter then you would expect also.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower.
- Mark Donohue

PostPosted: September 8, 2014, 5:49 pm 

I am now getting much stronger hand muscles by riveting the sides on :-)

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower.
- Mark Donohue

PostPosted: September 8, 2014, 7:46 pm 

Glad to see its running. No video?? How come the clutch is so hard to push in?

PostPosted: September 10, 2014, 2:45 pm 

I think I need more mechanical advantage on the clutch pedal. I just need to remove the pedal and drill a hole further down. If that does not work it may be a hydraulic issue. I am using the Toyota truck clutch master with the Nissan Silvia clutch slave Cylinder. They both speak Japanese, but maybe in the incorrect dialect? If it's not a leverage problem, I will grab a Silvia Clutch Master. The Toyota and the Nissan both have a 5/8" bore, but the stroke is not published info.

So you want a Video eh? Here you go :-)

http://vid155.photobucket.com/albums/s3 ... PR0235.mp4

- Mark Donohue

PostPosted: September 10, 2014, 2:57 pm 

Early construction photo of my clutch arrangement :-)

The brakes were plumbed when I got it, but not the clutch. I noticed he moved the rod for the brake pedal down 2" from this photo. The brakes feel like they are power brakes, very little effort. Here's hoping if I do the same to the clutch pedal a regular boy could depress it. (Now it feels like my leg may snap off). It is only a stage 1 Exedy clutch (They are generally not much more effort then stock).

- Mark Donohue

PostPosted: September 11, 2014, 12:41 am 

7Degrees wrote:
I think I need more mechanical advantage on the clutch pedal. I just need to remove the pedal and drill a hole further down. If that does not work it may be a hydraulic issue. I am using the Toyota truck clutch master with the Nissan Silvia clutch slave Cylinder. They both speak Japanese, but maybe in the incorrect dialect? If it's not a leverage problem, I will grab a Silvia Clutch Master. The Toyota and the Nissan both have a 5/8" bore, but the stroke is not published info.

So you want a Video eh? Here you go :-)

http://vid155.photobucket.com/albums/s3 ... PR0235.mp4

Sounds really good. Hope you get the clutch issue worked out.

PostPosted: September 11, 2014, 7:50 am 

7Degrees wrote:
Early construction photo of my clutch arrangement :-)

The brakes were plumbed when I got it, but not the clutch. I noticed he moved the rod for the brake pedal down 2" from this photo. The brakes feel like they are power brakes, very little effort. Here's hoping if I do the same to the clutch pedal a regular boy could depress it. (Now it feels like my leg may snap off). It is only a stage 1 Exedy clutch (They are generally not much more effort then stock).

oh dude, the leverage ratio on those pedals is waaaayyy to high (numerically low). without measuring, my calibrated eye says the pedal ratio is between 3:1 or 4:1. you really want more like 5 or 6:1. moving the master cylinder pushrod attachement hole down closer to the pedal pivot will fix things right up.

The beginnings of the Jag Special,
https://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=19012
Again, all pictures were lost.

PostPosted: September 11, 2014, 8:46 am 

Ditto on the leverage requirement of 5 to 1. I would suggest you look at moving the pivot point lower on the pedal [three hole adjust pattern], and extending the walking beam to get the greater leverage ratio. While you are at it, add a stop to the clutch pedal arm or to the cylinder push rod to reduce total travel. Dave W

PostPosted: September 11, 2014, 12:43 pm 

I assumed it was a mechanical advantage issue, thanks for the conformation. I bought some rod ends to make a new lever arm. I am purposely not fixing it right now, so I don't get arrested for illegally driving it around the neighborhood LOL. I am concentrating on the body, so I can finish it up, then jump through the necessary hoops to drive it legally :-)

- Mark Donohue

PostPosted: September 12, 2014, 2:16 pm 

7Degrees wrote:
I assumed it was a mechanical advantage issue, thanks for the conformation. I bought some rod ends to make a new lever arm. I am purposely not fixing it right now, so I don't get arrested for illegally driving it around the neighborhood LOL. I am concentrating on the body, so I can finish it up, then jump through the necessary hoops to drive it legally :-)

That goes threw my head every time I drive the kart in the neighborhood. Had the cops called on me twice in my old neighborhood.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 265 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18