LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 16, 2024, 12:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: March 10, 2013, 9:05 am 

GonzoRacer wrote:
Yo!
Funny camera angle... It looks like the two angled down-tubes on the far side cross each other and that the two nearer ones don't. Tell me I'm seeing things, or that this daylight savings time thing has warped my mind. :mrgreen:
:cheers:
JD

I think they both cross and it is just the camera angle that means the closer cross point is open because the camera is looking through it. It does look really weird though. The photo above shows the round tubes in the correct position.

Scrap Metal Build Log viewtopic.php?f=35&t=14558

PostPosted: March 10, 2013, 9:05 pm 

Not the best pictures, I'm limited to just my cell phone. I'm too cheap to spend money on an actual digital camera. More progress as shown below using lousy photography. :lol:

PostPosted: March 24, 2013, 8:13 pm 

Trying to finish up before nightfall, only a few welds left. My kids seem to approve, they even had to take their shoes off for lack of space in the footwell. :rofl:

Ran out of 3/4" tube, picking some up next weekend to finish the bottom corner tubes. Still no transmission tunnel, working on getting the suspension in first and picking up some wheels & tires. Once I have a rolling chassis, I'll do a couple test fitments of the drive-train.

PostPosted: April 21, 2013, 12:36 am 

Worked on my trailing arm brackets tonight. I ordered all my custom cut pieces from onlinemetals.com, cost was around $40 and worth it too. It's so nice to go straight to welding and avoid all that cutting. :D I used Microsoft Paint to make a 2.75" circle, printed it and then cut it in half. Worked great as a template for my S10 axle which has a 2 3/4" tube. Used my angle grinder to cut out the radius and cleaned it up with a die grinder. A bit rough but it works. One side is complete minus shock mounts and holes. The other side is going to take a bit more thinking, still not %100 decided on how I'm going to attach my panhard bar.

PostPosted: June 3, 2013, 11:28 pm 

My rear axle brackets are done and ready to be welded on. I managed to get the axle fairly centered, considering the yoke is partially offset. As it sits, the drivers side is about 1/4" longer than the passenger.

PostPosted: June 4, 2013, 1:36 am 

Wow that looks like a very tight fit for the diff. Is it as far forward as it's going to go? It may be okay but from here it looks dodgy.

PostPosted: June 4, 2013, 1:56 am 

I was trying to see how close I could get to 90 degrees for the rear coil overs. This is dang near 90, but I can move the axle back a bit with no problem.

PostPosted: June 24, 2013, 11:17 pm 

Tinkered around a bit tonight in the garage. One rear arm down, three to go. I feel slightly bad for using my Jeep frame as a parts hanger. :mrgreen:

All tubing is .065 wall DOM, arm is 1" while the ends are 1.25". I couldn't find any readily available rubber bushings so I used a universal poly bushing kit from Energy Suspension instead. Part number 9.9111.

PostPosted: June 25, 2013, 11:59 am 

Looking really good! I wouldn't worry about using the jeep for a hanger, I'm sure it had it coming, remember that jeep means Just Empty Every Pocket! :D Or so it seems sometimes.. haha. Anyway nice man!

Regards,

Don

PostPosted: June 30, 2013, 4:13 pm 

Finished working on the rear arms this morning. I'm waiting for the paint to dry on the last pair, here is what my finished pair looks like.

PostPosted: July 12, 2013, 1:08 am 

Brown Santa came a day early, had a nice large package waiting for me when I arrived home. :D

13x4.5 steel rim with a 5 bolt Ford pattern. Not the color I wanted though, I'm going to have the black paint removed down to bare steel. Will finish the wheel off with some baby moon caps.

Drivers side mount is welded on the axle, passenger side tomorrow and I'll post some pics.

PostPosted: July 12, 2013, 11:26 am 
Toyotaphobe

wallisek wrote:
Brown Santa came a day early,

Well I guess that's to be expected. It's his off season and I've heard he spends it in the tropics working on his tan.

I know if I were him I would.

I can explain it to you,
but I can't understand it for you.

PostPosted: July 16, 2013, 11:40 pm 

Not much progress lately due to my CJ-5 and work. Spent over an hour just removing the two backing plates thanks to rust. Finally gave up and cut them off, nice shiny black ones on the way.

(No, the mount isn't on crooked, just my lousy angle since I had to stand on my ever growing pile o'junk that seems to be growing in the garage. :lol: )

I did pick up some tube and plate for my lower arms, still need to figure out what I'm doing for the lower ball joint.

PostPosted: July 20, 2013, 8:53 pm 

Finished taking the rear axle apart and started my search for internals, leaning towards 3.23's at the moment. Planning on 155/80/13 tire combo which puts diameter shy of 23". Cruising speed (55 mph / 4th gear) will put me at about 2600 rpm.

Mounts are also welded up and ready to go. Rod ends and threaded sleeve on order so I can get started on my front arms.

PostPosted: September 2, 2013, 9:18 pm 

I haven't been getting much done with my time spread between three different vehicles, not to mention my daily driver which seems to be "under the wrench" more than it is driven on the road. To be expected with a 12 year old vehicle I suppose. Started working on the rear suspension and ordered some pieces for the front.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next