LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 19, 2024, 5:09 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 361 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 25  Next
PostPosted: November 15, 2012, 12:20 am 

[size=150]Tom loves to weld...he says it "relaxes him!" He sure takes pride in his welding - check out his beautiful tig job on the lower control arm:
Attachment:
TomLovesToWeld.jpg

Well, I'm pretty bummed that I made a miscalculation with my seats. Looks like I'm going to have to send both 17" seats back. Jack at Ultrashield seems to be a really nice guy and willing to swap them, but the round-trip shipping will be a bit costly. Live and learn, I guess.

My nephew happened to have a 15" Recaro in the shop and while snug, it does fit me.
Attachment:
15and17.jpg

By tomorrow I need to decide on what sizes to get. The Miata differential has a .75" offset to the right side and with the 17" seats I have .5" on the right and 1.25" on the left. The car will be RHD, so I could use the 15" seat and get a 16" for my friends with a little bigger butt than me! (Fortunately, Lonnie, my wife's hips are definitely smaller than mine, so a 15" would work for her and most of my friends!) So two 15" seats would give me PLENTY of space for the driveshaft tunnel, and a 15" & 16" should also be OK.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Last edited by thegarman on April 12, 2017, 8:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: November 15, 2012, 12:43 am 

Or you could scoot the motor/trans over an inch or so?

Louisville, KY
Hayes front, S10 +2 rear, Lalo body.

PostPosted: November 15, 2012, 5:54 am 

....put in 15" and call it the "Locost Diet"....give friends an incentive to lose weight.....

PostPosted: November 15, 2012, 8:04 am 
We are Slotus!

Gblawson wrote:
....put in 15" and call it the "Locost Diet"....give friends an incentive to lose weight.....

Well, Garman, that tears it... :cry: I thought we wuz gonna be friends... :cry: Nope, no way you'll be givin' any fat boys a ride in your car... Shucks... :cry:

:rofl: Just Kiddin!
:cheers:
JD "Not Fat, Just Easy to See" Kemp

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: November 15, 2012, 9:02 am 

I'm in Orlando and have had my car OTR for over a year. If you need any help let me know, we gotta keep the community going.

Now that there are going to be more of us we should start a club and get some goofy jackets or something. :wink:

PostPosted: November 15, 2012, 1:36 pm 

Tim Taylor wrote:
Now that there are going to be more of us we should start a club and get some goofy jackets or something. :wink:

Invite the Stalker guys too?

Louisville, KY

PostPosted: November 15, 2012, 1:41 pm 

Well, both 17" seats are being sent back today. I pay shipping and a re-stocking fee. I will have one 15" UltraSheild Spec Miata seat here by Monday for the right side, so it really won't throw off our build schedule!

As Forrest says, "It happens!"

Last edited by thegarman on April 12, 2017, 8:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: November 22, 2012, 8:49 pm 

Well, the 15" seat fits tight in the car, but will work. It's also a snug fit for me!
Attachment:
" Seat.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: November 23, 2012, 12:42 am 

I still think you could've picked up a couple of inches with that tunnel, but it is interesting to see that nice seat you've got.

Louisville, KY

PostPosted: November 23, 2012, 2:38 am 

thegarman wrote:
Tom loves to weld...he says it "relaxes him!" He sure takes pride in his welding - check out his beautiful tig job on the lower control arm:
Well I'll be frank: if Tom was welding my control arms, I think it would relax me. 8)

PS--please give us detail pics of your rear subframe and shock mounts; they look very nice from here.

PPS--how come you type so big?

PostPosted: November 24, 2012, 8:31 pm 

OK, Jack...regular size fonts just for you!

Here are some shots of the Miata subframe:
Attachment:
DSC_0003.jpg

Tom had the shock towers laser-cut:
Attachment:
DSC_0001.jpg

The KYB's that came on the donor car were shot. After a bit of research, I decided to go with a pair of Bilsteins as replacement:
Attachment:
DSC_0002.jpg

I cut and tacked in the transmission tunnel today:
Attachment:
photo 1.JPG

A guy in my neighborhood is building a Caterham 7 and for some reason was sent two spare wheel carriers and said I could have one! Because of this, I bought 5 tires & wheels after getting a pretty good deal on Black Friday from Discount Tires Online. ($150 for each tire & wheel...mounted, balanced, free black lugs plus free shipping and no tax!)

I've been looking at tires & wheels for over a couple months and chose the Konig "Lightspeed" 15 x 7.5 wheels:
Attachment:
Wheels.png

...with Hankook Ventus V2 Concepts 205/50-15 tires:
Attachment:
Tires.png

I also spent quite a lot of time reading and researching Wilwood Clutch & Brake Pedal Assemblies (similar to what's in Tom's car) and bought a 6.5:1 ratio kit that came with 3 master cylinders (and I went with 3/4" bores on all three):
Attachment:
Wilwood Pedal Assembly.png

PostPosted: November 24, 2012, 9:42 pm 

Quote:
A guy in my neighborhood is building a Caterham 7

I want to live on that street

PostPosted: November 25, 2012, 8:44 am 
We are Slotus!

Yo, Garman-
The standard disclaimer applies-- "I ain't no engineer!"

But I'm looking at those upper rear coilover mounts and kind of wondering if they're strong enough. There appears to be a lot of "flex" in that design, in that the flat plates (that are nicely laser cut) are attached to the frame along one side and the point of attachment for the shock is outboard from that. I'm thinking you're going to tend to bend the plates and/or break the welds at the attachment points.

Is there going to be some more support for those plates? I could have missed it in your text, but I didn't see any mention of it. And perhaps there's more to those mounts than I'm seeing...

Please understand, I'm tryin' to be helpful, not critical! After all, we would hate for Kate to have a bad back, especially at such a young age!

:cheers:
JD Kemp

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: November 25, 2012, 11:03 am 
Locostering Legend

I agree with JD. Those mounts won't last long. Maybe a couple hundred miles.

The plates will flex and fail from fatigue cracking, on the outside edge, where they are welded to the upright tubes.

Beware of cantilevers supporting suspension loads.

PostPosted: November 25, 2012, 1:05 pm 

Maybe add triangular gussets on either side of your strut tower to help brace the plate? I think that would easily give you some strength

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 361 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 25  Next