LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently May 11, 2024, 7:41 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 361 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25  Next
PostPosted: November 27, 2013, 12:42 pm 

A very astute suggestion! I considered that, but due to 1/4" thick bar, 3/4" thick-wall tubing and Tom's excellent welds, the brackets turned out to be unbelievably strong and I didn't think that gussets would even be necessary. I had read several stories about brackets cracking, bending or failing, and I feel certain that I solved those dilemmas!

PostPosted: December 23, 2013, 9:21 pm 

After passing the DMV inspection, I took a good, long break from working on Kate. But after 6 weeks, I decided to finish the gauge project. (They looked pretty for a couple months, but were not wired up!)

I built a little wiring harness for the four VDO gauges with 16 ground connections, 4 power connections, 6 lighting connections and 4 sender connections! (That's why I put it off so long!!)
Attachment:
Wiring Gauges.JPG
I seem to do best when I draw things out, so I made my own little schematic:
Attachment:
Gauge Schematics.JPG
So I finish the gauge wiring harness, added the VeeThree GPS Receiver (for the VDO Speedometer) and install everything in the scuttle:
Attachment:
Gauges wired in dash.JPG
I added quick disconnect plugs so, in the future, I could easily pop the plugs off to remove the scuttle.

I put a new VDO water temp sensor in along with a VDO oil pressure sensor (that was fun...I had to remove the starter in the Miata to get to the stock oil pressure sending unit!) After programming the speedometer, I tested everything out and all is good! All gauges not only LOOK pretty...they WORK!!!
Attachment:
Night gauges.JPG

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: December 23, 2013, 9:31 pm 

I dropped my newly installed Amsoil synthetic 10W-30 and put in some Shell Rotella T6 synthetic 5W-40 that I got at Walmart any Miata owners rave about it. I also bought a ECU Water Temperature Sensor for $15.97 and popped it in. That stopped the little stuttering I had - can it be that easy??

The last project I have to "complete" the car is the grill. I have a CADD drawing, but need to tweek it before I have a grill water-jet cut. I like the look of it without the grill, so I'm not sure I'll even put one on Kate!

Last edited by thegarman on April 12, 2017, 8:51 am, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: December 24, 2013, 12:09 am 
Toyotaphobe

Usually low rpm stutter is a dirty IAC valve. It's easy to clean and reinstall.

I can explain it to you,
but I can't understand it for you.

PostPosted: December 24, 2013, 9:59 am 
We are Slotus!

Quote:
All gauges not only LOOK pretty...they WORK!!!

Yessir, they do look good, and that's some quality work wirin' all that stuff together! Good on ya, Gar!

It sounds as though you might have cured the "stutters"... I'll keep my fingers crossed, but I'm bettin' it's fixed. Keep us posted!
Merry Christmas to you and yours!
JDK

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: December 24, 2013, 1:20 pm 

i think that the tapping has gone away due to the 5 in 5w-40 as opposed to the 10 in 10w-30, most modern engines need more oil flow at idle and start up which the 5 gives.

yes i am a believer in rotella and use it in everything i own, the high detergent keeps it clean inside and the zinc content is higher than conventional oil.

the water temp sender was probably causing mixture fluctuations resulting in the stuttering.

but we in it shall be remembered.

PostPosted: December 24, 2013, 7:03 pm 

Well thanks, y'all! and HAPPY HOLIDAYS to everyone!

I am so VERY pleased with the all the little projects I've done this month. I am super happy with the fender brackets and love having the front fenders on the car! The wiring/connecting up of the gauges was a bit of work, but it's nice to have all the information at a glance instead of guessing : - P

Dang, I can't believe how quiet the motor is now after something so simple as changing from a 30 to a 40 weight oil!! But hearing is believing! (Glad to hear you're a Shell Rotella fan, John. There are many prophets preaching the values of this oil.)

I took my buddy (and bro-in-law), Paul, out for a short jaunt today and we drove thru the local "Leu Gardens S curves" at a high rate of speed and he was all laughs and giggles. In my town, there are no end of Lambos, Ferraris, Maseratis and other exotics. I'd love to have one of them try to stay with me thru these corners! Our cars corner like they're on rails, don't they?? Now that it's corner weighted and aligned, I need some auto-x and track time to get comfortable with the handling characteristics and cornering abilities before I go any faster. (And I am flying now!!)

I must admit...I so enjoy all the nice comments I've been getting EVERYWHERE I go. I get surrounded every time I go to the hardware store, the grocery store, out to eat, etc. I've had so many fun conversations with such cool people...people that I would never have met or talked with had it not been for little Kate. Linda and I had lunch uptown last week and enjoyed watching group after group surround my car parked across the street...watching them take pictures...kneel down and have their pictures taken with Kate, laugh and smile. I categorize all of this as "fruits of my labor!" I was both amused and embarrassed the other day by about seven little 10 year-old girls screaming repetitively at full volume, "WE LOVE YOUR CAR!!!" Every time I venture out of the garage, I have people honk at me, wave, give me the thumbs up and yell, "Nice car!". How flattering that so many people like what I built from scratch. A friend asked if I'd ever get tired of all the attention I get. I said, "No...I don't think so!"
Attachment:
Little Kate.JPG

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: December 24, 2013, 9:18 pm 

Merry Christmas, and +1 on the attention from people. I love driving my Locost 7.

Larry O.

PostPosted: January 6, 2014, 10:40 pm 

Over the years, I've put STONE GUARDS on many of my of my British sport cars...for some reason, I've always loved the look! (And I've never really been worried about stones breaking my headlights!)

I bought my stone guards six months ago from Mini Mania for $22.66/pair. After searching the internet for ways to mount them, I figured out a way all by myself! The regular mounting clips don't work with the 7" headlights I purchased, so I borrowed a spool of .025 diameter aircraft stainless safety wire and a pair of safety wire pliers from Tom, my build partner.
Attachment:
Safety Wire Pliers and Stainless Wire.png
I placed the stone guards in place on the headlight and used a magic marker to mark three drill locations (at 10:00, 2:00 and 5:30) on the trim rings just outside the ring of the stone guards.
Attachment:
Use Magic Marker to mark drill locations.jpg
I happened to have a tiny "hobby drill" (that I use with my R/C airplanes) that has an assortment of very small drill bits. I used a .032 bit in the hobby drill and stuck the whole thing in my drill. It worked great!
Attachment:
Drill and hobby drill in the chuck.JPG
Attachment:
Drill bit .032.JPG
The holes are so tiny, you can barely see them! After waxing the headlight glass, stone guards and trim rings, I cut 3 pieces of wire 4" long, folded them in half and ran one side through the trim ring and the other around the outside of the stone guard. I only tied down the top two, spun the wire tight, clipped it to about 1/2" long and stuck both on the inside of the trim ring. I then put the bottom wire so it came on the outside of the trim ring (so I could spread the trim ring out and get them mounted on the headlight.)
Attachment:
Safety wire before cutting and bending back.JPG
Once I screwed the headlight trim rings tight, I spun the bottom wire, clipped it to 1/2" and folded it under the bottom of the headlight. The safety wires are so darn small, you have to look hard to see them!
Attachment:
Locations of the Safety Wire.jpg

I hope this may help other builders wanting to add stone guards...I'm VERY happy with these small additions!!
Attachment:
Loving the look of Stone Guards.JPG

PostPosted: January 7, 2014, 10:01 am 
We are Slotus!

Yo Garman!
That is one tiny little bitt itsy bitsy teeny weeny drill bit! (It's small too...)

Nice work on the stone guards! I'd steal your idea if the Slotus had headlights.

:cheers:
JDK

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: January 7, 2014, 3:17 pm 

Looking good. Nice to see what you did with the headlight covers. Also sure you're glad to see working gauges. Still love the black/polished look.

Post subject: Rubber floor mats
PostPosted: January 23, 2014, 11:06 pm 

I bought two 2'x4' rolls of "Diamond Dek" black rubber floor runners from American Floor Mats.
Attachment:
photo 1.JPG
I made templates out of thin cardboard and am cutting each piece to size for all the floorboards (except underneath the seats.)
Attachment:
photo 2.JPG
I like the look and the mats will cut down on the wear and tear on the paint!
Attachment:
photo 3.JPG

PostPosted: January 24, 2014, 12:18 am 
Toyotaphobe

BUT THINK OF ALL THE WEIGHT YOU'RE ADDING!!

I can explain it to you,

PostPosted: January 24, 2014, 12:11 pm 

The mats only add 2 pounds to the weight, so I decided to exercise daily until I loose 5 pounds. Then I can add 3 more pounds of stuff like electric windows, power door locks, power mirrors, a heater, a radio and windshield wipers. Just think! If I loose another 25 pounds, I'll be able to justify adding air conditioning!! :shock:

PostPosted: January 24, 2014, 7:32 pm 
Toyotaphobe

That all sounds good for you to be doing instead of me but let me pull out my slide rule and I can show you definitively that unless you do both the car will fly off the edge of the world and end up in a dragon's maw.

Let's see the Pie are square times the hypotenuese of the drop dangle divided by some strange greek character then multiply that times something that sounds like it's Latin, but it's not, and then we've got to get some fractions in there and put some parenthesis's around it and then once I run it through the slide rule and swing a dead cat by it's tale in the middle of a cemetery during the dark of the moon you see that I know have proof you've got to lose 30 lbs and then you get to keep the mats.

The main reason is that you get to ditch the ear plugs due to the mats deadening some of the sound coming from the bare metal floor.

See aren't you glad you've got smart fellers, or is it fart smellers, like me around to keep you straight?

I can explain it to you,

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 361 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25  Next