LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 16, 2024, 12:02 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 314 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next
 Post subject: Re: Martin's Locost 7 R1
PostPosted: December 10, 2015, 9:38 am 

Quote:
my next project will be a Morgan 3 Wheeler replica. Why? It is funky, it is different, it is a challenge
Isn't that the best reason to choose the next project? Doing the same over and over isn't for me either. Looking forward to seeing this new project progress.

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: December 10, 2015, 11:37 am 

mgkluft wrote:
Thanks, sixt3. It is always a pleasure when someone enjoys my videos. The song is by M83; the album is "Hurry up, I'm dreaming." I should have given proper credit, but somehow, I couldn't find the space to fit it in. My big, fat head always got in the way. :rofl:
ccrunner,
I'm back from my little adventure, and here is what I brought back.
Attachment:
IMG_7821.jpg

It is a '98 VTR; decent shape with about 40,000 miles (61,000 K) and looks and sounds to be strong (no I didn't ride it; that was 35 years ago :oops: ). But there are enough good bits for me to sell off, to probably break even, and have a free engine in the process. The VTR is close to your VFR, and I already have a couple of questions that I'll PM you. Your post about tilting it back, and the hydraulic clutch. Having said all that, where is it going to go?
Well, my next project will be a Morgan 3 Wheeler replica. Why? It is funky, it is different, it is a challenge and most of all, Calvin and Hobbs would approve.
Actually, I have been researching my follow up project for about a year (you have to plan for succession), and I was sure that a Porsche 550 replica was the way to go. But after spending some time on their forums, and dealing with some suppliers, I came to the conclusion that they were all a bunch of pecker heads. And don't even get me started on the Cobra crowd. Oichkatzlschwoifsauhund.
Anyway, it will be a long term project, since I have a perfectly good 7 to play with and sort out, but it feels good to plan another build. And I never did take the build table apart. Lazy me. :BH:

Ohhh- fun!! :mrgreen: Specs show good torque out of that motor.. plenty of HP too.. Love the Morgan concept and look.. what a fun, different project this will be.. that motor will look good out in front.. More puzzle-solving in your future for sure :lol:

I get your explanation on the 550/Cobra.. For the longest time I wanted an early Corvette.. so pretty.. but the Corvette group-vibe has kept me away.. not my scene, I just like the car -without the drama and judginess :?

Please start a new thread so we can follow! <VTR3? / VTRcubed? / VTRwee!!> I'll watch tor the tilt/clutch PM.. nothing that can't be overcome..

--ccrunner

1972 Honda N600 Restomod "ccrunner's N600 VFR800 repower"

1963 Volvo P1800 Restomod
http://locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=16309

1959 Berkeley SE492 Restomod...
viewtopic.php?f=36&t=19397

"ccrunner's 1960 MGA coupe Restomod" found on MGExp.com

PostPosted: December 10, 2015, 1:39 pm 

Thanks, guys.
Here is the new build log. Really looking forward to it. As ccrunner said, lot's of problem solving ahead; and that is what keeps it exciting. :cheers:
viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17840

My build log:
viewtopic.php?f=35&t=14520&start=0
My build video:
https://vimeo.com/143524140 password "matovid"

PostPosted: February 11, 2016, 9:42 am 

Been doing some work on the 7. I had planned on a front brake upgrade all along; the Granada rotors and GM calipers were massive and heavy, but I felt that they were needed to pass the inspection. So now I switched back to the Mustang II rotors and ordered some Wilwood Dynalites. The weight difference is a whopping 13 lbs per wheel. However, there are no caliper carriers available, so I had to make my own. I copied the existing design, and although a bit fiddly, it came together well. I found some chrome moly threaded bushings at Speedway, and then it was just a matter of shimming and positioning. It is all tigged, so it should be plenty strong. I spent some quality time with my drill press and cross drilled the rotors; and I may add some more lightness to the carrier.
Next will be the Supertrapp, and we should be ready to go for some testing.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

My build log:
My build video:

PostPosted: February 11, 2016, 11:40 am 
We are Slotus!

Oooh!!! Bubba like pretty shiny thing! :mrgreen:
13 lbs of unsprung on both front corners should make an appreciable difference in handling. Let us know how it goes when you get on the track with that one!

:cheers:
JDK

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: March 17, 2016, 8:18 pm 

Martin, what kind of paint did you use to paint your frame?

PostPosted: March 18, 2016, 8:56 am 

VHT Rollbar and Chassis paint.

My build log:
My build video:

PostPosted: March 18, 2016, 10:22 am 

Well, I have to say that after seeing it up close and personal, that it sure turned out nice! How many cans?

PostPosted: March 18, 2016, 10:51 am 
The voice of reason

Hi Martin. Now when you drive the car it's going to feel like it's wearing sneakers on it's front feet instead of boots. :)

When you said Mustang II rotors do you mean the original 9.2" or 9.5" ones? They look plenty big. I ask because there are several sizes altogether. Maybe the Granada are the mid-size option.

PostPosted: March 18, 2016, 11:29 am 

Thanks, Peter. That's a nice compliment from an accomplished pro builder, like yourself.
I used about 15 cans, and it was a bit of a bear to do, but it got done. Here is an older thread, which I couldn't find earlier: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=15327&p=178920#p178920

Marcus,
those are the 9 1/4" Mustang II rotors. They are a bit smaller than what Wilwood recommends for the caliper (10 to 13) but they can be made to fit. The pads may need to be trimmed a bit at the outer edge, once they wear down, but I don't expect it to be a problem. The Granada rotors are 11" and together with the GM metric caliper are pretty standard fare at the various suppliers. For me, the concern was the need of a banjo fitting on the caliper to pass the inspection, although it did not even come up, but I wasn't going to take the chance. Now I'm looking forward to trying it all out. It should stop on a dime; and it being a Canadian dime, that should be damn short. :rofl:

My build log:
My build video:

PostPosted: May 18, 2016, 12:00 pm 

Martin,
I like your front brake set up. It looks like the perfect set up for my car. I do have a question, what is the part number for the Wilwood caliper that you used?
Thanks
Larry

PostPosted: May 18, 2016, 1:45 pm 

Larry,
I got mine from Speedway.
http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Wilwood-1 ... 00971.html
I am using a 5/8 Master cylinder for the front and a 7/8 for the rear. The rear calipers are from a 94 Ford Mustang, single piston with 1 1/16 diameter. The pedal is a Wilwood with a 6:1 ratio and a cockpit adjustable balance bar. I'm still not completely overjoyed with the performance, but it is a lot better than my original setup. I think that the problem is with the actual pad material. The pads are Wilwood's BP-10, which is a semi metallic, and probably too hard for such a light car. I will try their soft pad, which I hope will give me more bite, and that super stopping power that I'm envisioning. Or maybe I should just exercise my squiggly old legs. :rofl:
http://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/w ... /overview/

My build log:
My build video:

PostPosted: May 18, 2016, 10:49 pm 

Martin,
Thanks for the info.
Larry

PostPosted: August 29, 2016, 9:22 am 

This weekend, the Pemberton Lions hosted their annual Show and Shine, which is a very small, but fun little show. About 40 cars showed up, and it was a great community event. With my co-pilot it tow, we set up and answered questions all day. When Addie got bored, she just went home. You go to love a show that is only a couple of blocks from your house. :D
There was a little bit of everything, and the classes were Fords, Chevs, Mopar and so on; we entered the Unusual, and brought home the hardware. Quite fitting that a go-kart was at the top of the expensive trophy. :rofl: Also got a nice little prize; a tool box with a bunch of DeWalt tools and swag. Not a bad haul for a $ 25 entry and a day in the sunshine.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

My build log:
My build video:

PostPosted: August 29, 2016, 10:52 am 

Looks like fun, I wish I was there instead of stuck at work. Who's car is the other 7?
Kristian

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 314 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next