LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 12:55 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1436 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72 ... 96  Next
PostPosted: July 7, 2018, 10:04 pm 

Hi Tom - really glad you sorted that out. I have to say I've been wondering what you had against a tunnel all this time.
And very neat, too.
MangPong.

PostPosted: July 8, 2018, 6:24 am 
We are Slotus!

Hi Tom-
Like you, I need a good "push point" on the right in order to elevate my fat out of the cockpit. Like you, there is not much purchase (Brit speak for "a place to grab onto") on the high left side of the chassis/roll cage. Early on, as soon as the driveshaft safety hoops were installed, I got into the habit of putting my hand down on the rear one and pushing me-self up. Worked pretty good... So, when I enclosed the tranny/driveshaft, I made the top of the tunnel sit on the hoops. It's not at all structural, but I know where that hoop is, from all that practice getting in and out building the thing. At one time, there was a duct tape X where the hoop was for training the HamDip as to where to put her hand. It all works purty good...

All that said, your tunnel/push point design looks very neat, well thought out and as always, the craftmanship is excellent.
Well done, Sir, well done!

:cheers:
JDK

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: July 9, 2018, 12:00 pm 

GonzoRacer wrote:
Hi Tom-
Like you, I need a good "push point" on the right in order to elevate my fat out of the cockpit. Like you, there is not much purchase (Brit speak for "a place to grab onto") on the high left side of the chassis/roll cage. Early on, as soon as the driveshaft safety hoops were installed, I got into the habit of putting my hand down on the rear one and pushing me-self up. Worked pretty good... So, when I enclosed the tranny/driveshaft, I made the top of the tunnel sit on the hoops. It's not at all structural, but I know where that hoop is, from all that practice getting in and out building the thing. At one time, there was a duct tape X where the hoop was for training the HamDip as to where to put her hand. It all works purty good...
JD, I like your duct tape approach. I was thinking about painting a big red "EJECT" button at that spot. :lol:

MangPong wrote:
Hi Tom - really glad you sorted that out. I have to say I've been wondering what you had against a tunnel all this time.
The tunnel has been mostly a mental obstacle, MangPong. Too many possible solutions and none I really liked. Though the tunnel framework is in place, I'm still frustrated about the covers for the diff nose. I can conceive of the shapes needed to cover/seal the diff from the cockpit and not interfere with the seat backs, but finding a buildable solution that provides removable access panels for the front diff mounts and lower A-arm pivots still has me scratching my head. A lot more cardboard origami will likely die before this is figured out.

My Car9 build: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=14613
"It's the construction of the car-the sheer lunacy and joy of making diverse parts come together and work as one-that counts."

Ultima Spyder, Northstar 4.0, Porsche G50/52

PostPosted: July 9, 2018, 1:23 pm 

A lot more cardboard origami will likely die before this is figured out.

OK, thanks... I can see where you're coming from now. I'll look forward to more origami...
MangPong.

PostPosted: October 8, 2018, 11:42 pm 

Any news, Tom?

PostPosted: October 9, 2018, 2:10 pm 

esp42089 wrote:
Any news, Tom?
Hi esp, thanks for asking. Progress has been slow. Summer activities followed by house related projects this fall. But now the rains have started and I'm getting ready to buckle down and make some progress. Think I have solved the origami problem for the diff snout/tunnel. Now I just need to execute and move ahead.

"It's the construction of the car-the sheer lunacy and joy of making diverse parts come together and work as one-that counts."

PostPosted: January 5, 2019, 4:07 pm 

How about now? Any photos of progress lately? Thanks (from a builder who hasn't been able to touch the project for a month)!

PostPosted: January 5, 2019, 9:11 pm 

RandyBMC wrote:
How about now? Any photos of progress lately? Thanks (from a builder who hasn't been able to touch the project for a month)!
Thanks for the ping, Andy. In fact today was the first day in a while with some serious effort on the build. I've got the dog house for the diff snout figured out and progress made on most of its pieces. Final assembly and welding of the dog house will have to wait until I disassemble the build for painting and complete some "hidden" welds. Nevertheless, I should be able to get the tunnel structure, driveshaft hoops and ally interior paneling completed now.
Attachment:
P1054881-1.jpg
Attachment:
P1054882-1.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Last edited by seattletom on April 27, 2020, 2:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: January 5, 2019, 9:54 pm 

Looking good Tom! No deadline to meet. Just keep working away and before you know it it'll be 90% done. The last 10% goes forever.

Cheers!

PostPosted: January 7, 2019, 7:45 am 
We are Slotus!

Lookin' good as always Tom. Good to hear from ya in general... I kinda feel like I've been a bad friend, not checking in on you sooner. Nice progress, too. Before you know it, you'll be 90% done, which means there's only another 90% (plus or minus) to go! :mrgreen:

:cheers:
JDK

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: January 8, 2019, 1:35 am 

benny_toe wrote:
Looking good Tom! No deadline to meet. Just keep working away and before you know it it'll be 90% done. The last 10% goes forever.
GonzoRacer wrote:
Lookin' good as always Tom. Good to hear from ya in general... I kinda feel like I've been a bad friend, not checking in on you sooner. Nice progress, too. Before you know it, you'll be 90% done, which means there's only another 90% (plus or minus) to go!
Thanks Larry and JD. Good to hear from you guys. I also got notes from Driven5 and rv6aflyr saying they may drop buy to add encouragement. So it was back in the garage today to build up some momentum towards that 90% (i.e., half-way) point. Plan to fit up an aluminum panel for the tunnel top tomorrow. That will give me some much-needed visual progress.

PostPosted: January 8, 2019, 11:35 am 

seattletom wrote:
That will give me some much-needed visual progress.

Hey Tom, great to see more pics!
Yes there is a certain satisfaction when you start putting pieces on the build and say "Hey I can't see through the frame any more"
Good job :cheers:

'If man built it, man can fix it'
"No one ever told me I couldn't do it."
"If you can't build it safe, don't build it."

Perry's Locost Super Che7enette Build
Perry's TBird Based 5.0L Super 7 L.S.O
Perry's S10 Super 7 The 3rd
Perry's 4th Build The Topolino 500 (Little Mouse) Altered
Perry's 5th Build the Super Slant 6 Super 7
Perry's Final Build the 1929 Mercedes Gazelle

PostPosted: January 10, 2019, 12:31 am 

Nice - thanks for the update! Love watching this different approach take shape.

PostPosted: January 14, 2019, 1:57 pm 
The voice of reason

That tunnel work looks great! Someone mentioned somewhere they didn't understand the Car9 aversion to tunnels. WHat's going on is that we felt that some of the weight/framework in the tunnel, which provides strength and stiffness, could better be applied to material on the outside of the cockpit which would provide a bit more protection for passengers. So that part of the frame is now roll cage spec material.

The tunnel should provide protection from a driveshaft failure in the form of substantial hoops. Past that it's function is to prevent drafts and provide comfort and an assist for entry/egress. Tom is in the forefront of a bunch of practical details I didn't get to yet and it can be a bit painful. It passes human understanding why the last 10% takes so long...

Tom, I'm not sure where to apply this idea but it occurred to me it could be possible to make a folding handle or footstep somewhere or have a small tube ( like Chuck Yeager's broomstick handle ) that you could poke in a hole for the same purpose. Furthermore, I think we should call such a thing a "yeager-yatchet". Probably because I was working with a come-along that day in the yard...

PostPosted: January 16, 2019, 8:43 pm 

horizenjob wrote:
That tunnel work looks great! Someone mentioned somewhere they didn't understand the Car9 aversion to tunnels. WHat's going on is that we felt that some of the weight/framework in the tunnel, which provides strength and stiffness, could better be applied to material on the outside of the cockpit which would provide a bit more protection for passengers. So that part of the frame is now roll cage spec material.

The tunnel should provide protection from a driveshaft failure in the form of substantial hoops. Past that it's function is to prevent drafts and provide comfort and an assist for entry/egress. Tom is in the forefront of a bunch of practical details I didn't get to yet and it can be a bit painful. It passes human understanding why the last 10% takes so long...

Tom, I'm not sure where to apply this idea but it occurred to me it could be possible to make a folding handle or footstep somewhere or have a small tube ( like Chuck Yeager's broomstick handle ) that you could poke in a hole for the same purpose. Furthermore, I think we should call such a thing a "yeager-yatchet". Probably because I was working with a come-along that day in the yard...
Good to hear from you, Marcus. Agreed, the devil is in the details.

I made some progress on the tunnel cover. It still needs additional screw-down points and a little tig work on the bend relief slits. The forward edge was bent up to add panel stiffness while keeping the transmission removal path clear when the cover is removed. A couple of t@bs were added to tie-in and attach the vertical dash panel.

With the parking brake lever on the left side of the cockpit, the tunnel top will be clear except for the shift lever and possibly a couple of "convenience" rocker switches (headlight hi-low and flash.) I like the clean look and elbow room.
Attachment:
P1154884-1.jpg
Attachment:
P1164887-1.jpg

So on to fabbing the tunnel sides which means figuring out the seat belt mounting system and a bunch of related stuff. Details, details...

As to the Yeager-yachet, I'll have to check with a test pilot friend of mine who served with Chuck. He might have some first hand experience.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Last edited by seattletom on June 2, 2020, 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1436 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72 ... 96  Next