LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently May 12, 2024, 7:45 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1449 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92 ... 97  Next
PostPosted: December 19, 2022, 11:35 pm 

benny_toe wrote:
By my standards you're right on schedule. The fact that you are making progress is great!
Thanks, Larry. "Schedule" seems to be an illusion in my garage.

Continuing with floor panel details. For the fixed panels, all the rivet holes are drilled and only a few drain holes left to drill. Plus an oil change access panel needs to be made under the engine compartment. I'm waiting for some warmer weather so I can get the garage up to about 50* F before I apply the panel adhesive and rivet the fixed panels in place.
Attachment:
IMG_1732-1.jpg

The removable diffuser panel is now shaped and a joggle formed to tuck its leading edge under the cockpit panel trailing edge. A nice, soft roll at the end of the cockpit floor panel transitions to the diffuser section. Five Strakes are planned for the diffuser. Three 24" long strakes will be affixed via aluminum angles and will be about 4 3/4" tall at the rear. The two side strakes will not be as long to accommodate the rounded and tapered boot.

Plenty to do while waiting for warmer weather.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

My Car9 build: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=14613
"It's the construction of the car-the sheer lunacy and joy of making diverse parts come together and work as one-that counts."

Ultima Spyder, Northstar 4.0, Porsche G50/52

PostPosted: December 21, 2022, 4:08 am 

The weather remained too cold to glue/rivet the floor panels, so worked on the diffuser section instead. The plan is for a five strake, four tunnel affair when done. Today I made up three prototype strakes from scrap 5052 and eyeballed them into place.
Attachment:
IMG_1738-1.jpg

The lower rails begin their upward bend under the cockpit seats which gives the floor a smooth transition into the diffuser section. The gap under the straight edge grows to about ¾” before the tunnels start.
Attachment:
IMG_1735-1.jpg

The outer strakes taper in to follow the boot sides. And they are shorter to accommodate the rounded boot corner. While the outer tunnels still have a fair expansion ratio, a squared off panel would have been more effective at the cost of potentially bloodied ankles.
Attachment:
IMG_1736-1.jpg

Aluminum angle will be used to attach the strakes, but I much prefer 962porsche’s diffuser approach viewtopic.php?f=23&t=18374&p=221481&hilit=diffuser#p221481 However, nothing will get diffused if I don’t get this on the road, so the less aero efficient route won out for the time being.

Weather permitting I’m off to the metal store tomorrow.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

"It's the construction of the car-the sheer lunacy and joy of making diverse parts come together and work as one-that counts."

PostPosted: December 31, 2022, 10:36 pm 

Wrapping up 2022 with some progress on the removeable diffuser section.
Attachment:
IMG_1753-1.jpg
Finished strakes are 6061-T6. The strake mounting t@bs are 1" x 1" x 0.125 " aluminum angle, except for the outermost ones (1.25" x 1.75" x 0.125") which needed more purchase. The bolt-to-chassis athwartship braces hidden on the flip side are also 1" x 1" x 0.125" angle. 962porsche's strake attachment method would have made for aerodynamically cleaner tunnels, but this will have to do for now.

I was hoping to be off the rotisserie by year end :roll: but shooting for sometime in January now.

Happy New Year to all :cheers:

PostPosted: February 6, 2023, 8:57 pm 

Well, January passed by (along with the 10th anniversary of this Build Log) and the chassis is still on the rotisserie. But NOT FOR LONG 'cause the floor and diffuser are done! :yay:
Attachment:
IMG_1772-1.jpg

The floor is attached with panel adhesive and lots of rivets. Fortunately, I bought a HF rivet gun a few years back that I had never used. It made a world of difference until its jaws started slipping on the rivet stems. Given the working time on the adhesive there was no time to adjust the jaws, so the last 20% of the rivets were pulled by hand. Hand cramps are not fun. :ack:

Lots of drain holes had been drilled in the floor, engine mount bolt ports cut and an access panel for draining the pan and changing the oil filter made. Sure hope the panel is in the right place. The asymmetric attachment screws are positioned to clear the pan.
Attachment:
IMG_1773-1.jpg
Attachment:
IMG_1775-1.jpg

The diffuser came out pretty well. A little bumpy for good laminar flow, though. The strake mounting flanges should have been on the inside and flush rivets used. But the steam punk look isn't too bad a trade-off.
Attachment:
IMG_1774-1.jpg
And the diffuser section is removable.
Attachment:
IMG_1776-1.jpg

Next step is to detach the rotisserie, set the chassis on blocks at about ride height and install the diff and then the engine/transmission. Followed by mandatory vroom-vroom sessions. :drive:

Then up on sawhorses for final (re)assembly.

PostPosted: February 6, 2023, 9:20 pm 

Looking good, how much rake angle will you run on the floor before the diffuser? 10 years sure goes by quick.

PostPosted: February 6, 2023, 10:57 pm 

It's good to see you get to this stage, Tom. Your work is looking good as usual.

By the way, this May 5th I'll be celebrating the 12th anniversary of by build. So, at lest one person is "older" than you, for what that's worth. Interestingly, my log entry tonight will be about putting my chassis back on the rotisserie for the the last time [LOL].

I was looking through Martin's (B.C., mgkluft) last night, and yours soon. I'm going to use removable panels as you two have done. I'll get the benefit of your work. I want to do at least some (maybe all) panels when it's on the rotisserie this time.

Cheers,

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: February 7, 2023, 2:21 am 

seattletom wrote:
Then up on sawhorses for final (re)assembly.
That's when we need to see pics of you vroom vroom grinnin! Final assembly, atta boy Tom!

'If man built it, man can fix it'
"No one ever told me I couldn't do it."
"If you can't build it safe, don't build it."

Perry's Locost Super Che7enette Build
Perry's TBird Based 5.0L Super 7 L.S.O
Perry's S10 Super 7 The 3rd
Perry's 4th Build The Topolino 500 (Little Mouse) Altered
Perry's 5th Build the Super Slant 6 Super 7
Perry's Final Build the 1929 Mercedes Gazelle

PostPosted: February 7, 2023, 7:46 am 

Hi... without wishing to put a damper on your beautiful work the sight of those strakes caused me to wonder what could happen if you accidentally run over something...
It's many years since hood mascots were banned for much the same reason...
Sorry - just made me ponder...
Cheers, MangPong

PostPosted: February 7, 2023, 1:55 pm 

Cannot wait to see this move under its own power. Already planning a trip up your way ;)

PostPosted: February 7, 2023, 2:15 pm 

Kinetic Research wrote:
Looking good, how much rake angle will you run on the floor before the diffuser? 10 years sure goes by quick.
Kinetic, no rake angle is planned, but some will likely creep in during set up. The floor has some curvature built in ahead of the diffuser, though. See pic below. The straight edge follows the flat floor plane.
Attachment:
IMG_1736-1.jpg
MangPong, since the strakes do not extend below the floor plane, it would be difficult for anything to get under the car and sliced and diced by the strakes. Good point to consider, though. I'll have to be careful backing up. :shock:

Lonnie, removable panels are nice when maintaining (or reworking) the car. The trade-off is flat panels will likely rattle/buzz a bit more than riveted panels. Nothing a dab of silicon can't fix, though. I copied the attachment technique mgkluft used. A bit of extra work to make and weld on all the floating nut plates. Your 12-year build is coming along nicely! Great attention to detail.

Rtz, give me a holler when you are up this way. Would love to have you stop by. I may be in Portland this spring. I'll try to connect with you as well.

Perry, vroom-vroom sounds definitely coming. The rotisserie kind of cramped my style on those. :roll:

PostPosted: February 7, 2023, 11:08 pm 

Off the rotisserie today. :D Used the two engine-hoist method, one at each end, so I had good maneuverability working alone. Lower rails now sit about 7" above the garage floor to allow the hoists' legs to slide under as I had to work from the side in order to remove the rotisserie hardware.
Attachment:
IMG_1777-1.jpg
Once the drivetrain is in place I'll set the chassis on sawhorses for a better working height.

The garage is past due for a major cleaning and re-organization. This is a good time to pause and do that. And then: Onward!

Meanwhile vroom-vroom sessions will have to wait until I dig the seats out of the "mezzanine."

PostPosted: February 8, 2023, 12:52 am 

Certainly looks robust. First time I have seen it sans body panels.
A couple of steps closer. Good job Tom!

PostPosted: February 9, 2023, 2:48 am 

benny_toe wrote:
Certainly looks robust. First time I have seen it sans body panels.
A couple of steps closer. Good job Tom!
Larry, thanks. Stop over anytime for a first-hand view. It will be a bare-naked chassis for a bit longer.

PostPosted: February 9, 2023, 3:34 am 

TOM,

Thanks for the invite. My neighbor Lee has been anxious to driver the Locost again and I'm sure he would like another look at your Car-9. I'll give you fair warning when I can make it. Right now that is looking doubtful for a while.

Best regards,

PostPosted: February 11, 2023, 12:39 pm 

I am definitely stopping by next trip to Seattle. Looks great, Tom.
Paul

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1449 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92 ... 97  Next