LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 28, 2024, 2:46 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1441 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 93, 94, 95, 96, 97  Next
PostPosted: January 21, 2024, 6:27 pm 

You must buy Adel clamps by the "gross" :lol:

Awesome work!!!!!

My build log viewtopic.php?f=36&t=10658&start=0 NOW NAMED =The Wycked 7

My other build log viewtopic.php?f=18&t=15162 The Skayt'R6

PostPosted: January 23, 2024, 7:56 pm 

Looking very, very nice, Tom.

Cheers,

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: January 23, 2024, 10:25 pm 

@RTz, @Horchoha, @Kartracer47, @Lonnie-S:
Gents, thank you for your kind words and pointers. Sometimes I feel like I'm making halfsteps to infinity, but it's definitely progress.

Ron, Great idea re welding-in grounding studs, I'll remember that for next time. The chassis grounding tabs are zinc coated and the bolts stainless, so unless there is some sort of weird galvanic reaction with the copper terminals conductivity/corrosion should not be a problem. I do need to address the aesthetics of scrapping away the paint, however.

John, I do have Adel clamps by the bag, in multiple sizes :roll: Leftovers from past projects, so the price is right.

My Car9 build: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=14613
"It's the construction of the car-the sheer lunacy and joy of making diverse parts come together and work as one-that counts."

Ultima Spyder, Northstar 4.0, Porsche G50/52

PostPosted: March 20, 2024, 12:25 pm 

Tom, any news?

I'm somewhat of a newbie here, been lurking a couple years. Read all 300-some-odd pages of JD's build thread (wish I'd found this place sooner, we'd have hit it off) and just got caught up with your thread. And I've read every post on Ron's (Rtz's) miata turbo build. Sorry I missed JD's commemoration . . . I'd have been happy to raise a glass and share my chili recipe. Next January I'll share for sure. Read every page of your build; feel like I'm ten years late to the party. I work at a metal fab place as a weld inspector, (we make t@bs and br@ck^ts all day!) and and am proficient with autocad . . . kicking myself for not getting an earlier start.

I had an E30 M3 for many years. Finally sold it when I was worried that an engine rebuild would cost more than the car was worth. Wish I'd seen KPower's K24 conversion kit before I sold the thing - I'd have sold the running motor and could've used the proceeds to pay for the Honda conversion. Hindsight.

Anyway, I now have a K24, a Miata NB transmission, and complete front and rear suspension subframes. Collecting parts at a rate that makes my wife nervous. Got to say I've been impressed with your level of detail . . . and I also have a grab-bag full of Adel clamps.

Hope you finish your Car9 while you still have time to enjoy it. . . .

Mike

Many others . . .

PostPosted: March 20, 2024, 6:30 pm 

Mikus wrote:
Tom, any news?
Hi Mike, I am definitely overdue for posting. I've been enjoying the springtime way too much, but the rains are coming soon, so an update will too. There has been progress, not as much as I'd hoped, but still progress. And I still have my license...

Sounds like you are getting close to launching your project. With your skills and talents (especially with t@bs and br@ck^ts) it should be a great one. Looking forward to following your build log. Remember that pictures are required :lol:

"It's the construction of the car-the sheer lunacy and joy of making diverse parts come together and work as one-that counts."

PostPosted: March 20, 2024, 9:28 pm 

Mike, I also owned an E30 M3 for a while. It’s the one car I really wish I still had. Not much power but good grip and the most fun production street car I ever owned. And now they’re worth a small fortune, sigh.

Definitely excited to see what you put together and as Tom said, all we require is a build log and pictures to keep us happy :cheers:

PostPosted: March 21, 2024, 1:43 am 

Nice rigging !

PostPosted: March 21, 2024, 3:33 am 

Mikus wrote:
Collecting parts at a rate that makes my wife nervous.

Had a good chuckle at this, projects definitely go through stages and that is a fun one. Sanding not so much. My wife wonders why i spend so much time looking at tubes....

Your project sounds superb, and creating a post is a great way to document ideas and provide a bit of self motivation too, this thread being a perfect example.

:cheers:

PostPosted: March 21, 2024, 9:26 am 

RTz wrote:
Mike, I also owned an E30 M3 for a while. It’s the one car I really wish I still had. Not much power but good grip and the most fun production street car I ever owned. And now they’re worth a small fortune, sigh.

Definitely excited to see what you put together and as Tom said, all we require is a build log and pictures to keep us happy :cheers:

I was always in the 190E camp, but the E30 is definitely in the short-list of top 80s Euro cars.

http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=20899

PostPosted: March 23, 2024, 3:32 pm 

Continuing saga of the under-scuttle build-up:

Installed the “basket” over the transmission to hold the engine management cables, did a trial fit and then remembered that pass-thru holes and grommets were needed in its side panels for routing several cables. :BH: So removed the panels and added the cutouts.
Attachment:
IMG_2305-1.jpg

Laid out the ECU cable set and finalized the groupings. Most every wire is now a home run to the various endpoints, with lots of spare length to cram back into the basket (aka the Snakepit. ) I did not want to shorten/re-pin any cables. (Been there, screwed that up.) The fuel pump relay trigger wiring in the Power Distribution box was modified so the fuel pump can be killed by the inertial cutout switch.
Attachment:
IMG_2325-1.jpg

Fiddling with the engine cabling got me started down the chassis wiring rabbit hole and a lot of desk time was spent revising my circuit planning. A side-branch of this rabbit hole was the gauge and switch wiring which led to a change of the oil pressure sensor and addition of a second coolant temperature sender for compatibility with the SpeedHut gauges.
Attachment:
IMG_2386-1.jpg
Attachment:
IMG_2387-1.jpg

While the intake was off a heat shield was added to its underside and the pcv outlet in the valley cover was shortened to clear steam vent plumbing.
Attachment:
IMG_2384-1.jpg

The low, forward-mounted reverse-rotation Honda generator was installed along with the electric water pump. No other front accessories, so the hoodless view should be pretty clean.
Attachment:
IMG_2109-1.jpg
Attachment:
IMG_2389-1.jpg

The brake fluid reservoir was mounted and is waiting arrival of the right sized p-clips to finalize plumbing to the master cylinders. Then it’s finally time to check the hydraulic system for leaks.
Attachment:
IMG_2390-1.jpg
Onward!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: March 24, 2024, 1:43 am 

Oh boy, this is getting exciting. Not long till start up! You seem to have a lot of project mometum, it's great to watch.

PostPosted: April 23, 2024, 11:55 am 

We have run short of time these last couple of trips out to the west coast. I really want to see the progress in person since the last time I saw this beast.
Next trip for sure.
Paul

PostPosted: April 24, 2024, 12:21 pm 

JPS Europa wrote:
We have run short of time these last couple of trips out to the west coast. I really want to see the progress in person since the last time I saw this beast.
Next trip for sure.
Paul, great to hear from you. It will look different from the last time you were here. Looking forward to your visit. Any trips west planned?

Lots of small items done that I need to post (with pics:) Steering rack limiters added, pcv plumbing figured out, surge tank and steam lines mounted, etc. Brake fluid still not added, but Motive Power Bleeder has been adapted for my Tilton reservoirs, so an air leak down test will happen the next rainy day (i.e., soon). Once fluid is added and hydraulics checked out real progress can be made.

PostPosted: April 27, 2024, 2:42 pm 

Finishing up stuff in the area of the front bulkhead.

The amount of steering rack travel needed to reduced, so had Woodward make-up a pair of 1” wide Delrin rack limiters. Some disassembly required to install them, but extreme wheel turn-in won’t cause wheel/fender rub with the chassis anymore. :oops:
Attachment:
IMG_2411-1.jpg

The lower radiator hose (low pressure side) is made up from five sections of silicon hose connected via aluminum inserts and Gates PowerGrip clamps. The tee fitting connects to the surge tank.
Attachment:
IMG_2413-1.jpg

A hanger br@ck^t was added to support the middle of the hose.
Attachment:
IMG_2434-1.jpg
Attachment:
IMG_2436-1.jpg

The highest point in the cooling system is the surge tank which is Siamesed with an overflow tank. The surge tank side includes the filler/pressure cap, connections for steam lines from both the block and the radiator and also provides the feed line to the lower radiator hose.
Attachment:
IMG_2431-1.jpg
The overflow tank side picks up spill from under the pressure cap and does its normal thing.
Attachment:
IMG_2432-1.jpg
Nice all-in-one package by Ron Francis. 8)

Once the front brakes are leak tested, the radiator and fan can get installed.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: April 28, 2024, 12:24 am 

Just WOW !

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1441 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 93, 94, 95, 96, 97  Next