LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently May 13, 2024, 5:06 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1449 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 93, 94, 95, 96, 97
PostPosted: April 28, 2024, 12:23 pm 

Thanks, B85. Having these parts that have been sitting on the shelf 95% complete for a long time finally get installed is fun!

Figuring out the revised pcv system was a bit of a challenge, though: Where to route another layer of little hoses?

In a stock setup, the LS3 has a closed loop pcv system. Crankcase vapors are pulled from both the valley cover and the driver-side valve cover and fed into the intake manifold via a vacuum port located just behind the nearby throttle body. Both the valley cover and the valve cover vapor ports are restricted, flow constrained by an orifice of about 0.10” diameter in each. Both are baffled on the wet side to reduce the amount of oil carried by the vapors into the intake manifold. Metered and filtered “make up” air flows into the crankcase via a port on the passenger-side valve cover to keep the MAF sensor honest. No traditional pcv valve is used.

The goal was to replicate the function of the stock pcv system, add an oil catch can to clean up the crankcase vapors on their way to the intake manifold and keep the plumbing clean, simple and tucked under the nose cone. It took a whole bunch of head scratching and a pile of spare parts and scrap hose, but turned out reasonably well.

Several issues had to be overcome. The intake manifold in my setup is reversed, placing the throttle and its vacuum port over the bellhousing. My Holley valve covers have vapor ports that don’t include flow restrictors (but do have some baffling on the wet side.) The valley cover nipple was too long and protruded into the path of my steam lines so had been trimmed shorter.

On the plus side, the LS3 intake manifold has a brake booster vacuum port on what’s now the front-end of the intake manifold. That nipple just needed to be reduced from ½” to 3/8” hose to connect the pcv vacuum line. The stock vacuum port behind the throttle body gets capped. Metered/filtered air is now let into the crankcase via the driver-side valve cover port back near the firewall. A tee fitting is used to join the vapor lines from the passenger-side valve cover port and the valley cover port and then connect them to the catch can. A flow restrictor for the valve cover port was added by drilling a 0.10” hole through a 5/16” ss set screw and threading that into the tee fitting.
Attachment:
IMG_2396-1.jpg

A br@ck^t was made to mount the Mike Norris catchcan to a chassis tube. The outlet side of the catchcan was connected to the old “brake booster” vacuum port. Here’s what resulted:
Attachment:
IMG_2437-1.jpg
Attachment:
IMG_2438-1.jpg

Hopefully, the revised setup will function like the stock pcv system with the catchcan providing some oil separation to clean up the intake’s vacuum feed.

After all the pondering, the pcv plumbing actually turned out to be pretty simple. And most of the extraneous hoses hide under the nose cone. :D
Attachment:
IMG_2430-1.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

My Car9 build: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=14613
"It's the construction of the car-the sheer lunacy and joy of making diverse parts come together and work as one-that counts."

Ultima Spyder, Northstar 4.0, Porsche G50/52

PostPosted: April 28, 2024, 9:47 pm 

That is some nice welding on that Alum. :shock:

PostPosted: April 29, 2024, 12:35 pm 

B85 wrote:
Yup, wish I could do that.
These folks made that pretty combo surge tank: http://www.rondavisradiators.com/Welcome.htm

"It's the construction of the car-the sheer lunacy and joy of making diverse parts come together and work as one-that counts."

PostPosted: April 29, 2024, 1:32 pm 

I'd kill for those aluminum welding skills.

If you run scrotch-brite along the welds it'll get rid of the white line at the edge of the weld. Makes a pretty thing even prettier :)

PostPosted: April 29, 2024, 5:42 pm 

You know Tom I was reading your posts and everything was sinking in my 65 year old brain until I read the word 'nipple', twice.
I are now totally distracted, what was it you were talking about?
Nipples make me giggle and lose concentration, just ask my wifey.

'If man built it, man can fix it'
"No one ever told me I couldn't do it."
"If you can't build it safe, don't build it."

Perry's Locost Super Che7enette Build
Perry's TBird Based 5.0L Super 7 L.S.O
Perry's S10 Super 7 The 3rd
Perry's 4th Build The Topolino 500 (Little Mouse) Altered
Perry's 5th Build the Super Slant 6 Super 7
Perry's Final Build the 1929 Mercedes Gazelle

PostPosted: April 30, 2024, 12:15 pm 

horchoha wrote:
You know Tom I was reading your posts and everything was sinking in my 65 year old brain until I read the word 'nipple', twice.
I are now totally distracted, what was it you were talking about?
Nipples make me giggle and lose concentration, just ask my wifey.
Yup, Perry, "nipple" was mentioned twice. Contrary to JD's 1st Law, for some things symmetry is NOT overrated.
Rtz wrote:
If you run scrotch-brite along the welds it'll get rid of the white line at the edge of the weld. Makes a pretty thing even prettier :)
Thanks, Ron, great tip! Will give that a go.

While on the subject of shiny things, time for a mia culpa re the patina on the pcv catchcan. I got a great deal on a new shiny catchcan, but it was anodized blue, not the plain aluminum that I wanted. So I bought it and used the old oven cleaner trick to remove the blue. But left it on a bit too long. Anodizing was removed but the metal was etched. :BH:
Scrubbing, wet sanding and abrasive pads improved the look somewhat, but it still has a permanent patina. :(

Easy to replace the catchcan if I win the lottery, but hey, not a show car...

PostPosted: May 2, 2024, 3:03 pm 

Tom I think your catchcan fittings are backwards (If that can works the way normal cans do). The "dirty" air from the engine should go to the lower port with the exit port "clean" air going through the filter and out the top of the can.

Hope that makes sense.

PostPosted: May 2, 2024, 3:05 pm 

B85 wrote:

Right? Even I'm jealous of those welds.

PostPosted: May 3, 2024, 11:51 am 

Briggs2 wrote:
Tom I think your catchcan fittings are backwards (If that can works the way normal cans do). The "dirty" air from the engine should go to the lower port with the exit port "clean" air going through the filter and out the top of the can.
Hi Briggs, its set up per the instructions. The top fitting feeds "dirty" fumes into a short tube with filter inside the can that is supposed to coalesce the oil out of the fumes. The oil drips into the can and the fumes leave via the side port in a closed system. That top tube extends below the side port, but I may extend it further to improve oil separation.

A catchcan is also needed for my diff, so I may put the one with the patina back there and convert it to an open breather style, plumbed as you suggest. Then I can put the new shiny one up front. :D

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1449 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 93, 94, 95, 96, 97