LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 19, 2024, 12:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1436 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65 ... 96  Next
PostPosted: December 13, 2016, 10:21 pm 

rx7locost wrote:
I don't recommend following my lead on this one. I have twice had grinding bits embedded in my eyes. Once was while wearing goggles with vents. The bits came thru the small holes. the Second time was while wearing a full face mask. the bits just bounced around.... Not that I recommend wearing nothing...... Just sayin' nothing is perfect.
Chuck, thanks for the input...and Ouch! That's another area where I need to be more careful.

Working on getting more ally paneling done. Next up is the scuttle floor. But before cutting up more aluminum sheet, the placement of several components that will mount under the long scuttle cover needed to be figured out. The fat inlet tube to the throttle body (including the MAF sensor and air filter) had already claimed a big chunk of that real estate. The master cylinder reservoirs also needed scuttle floor space as the footwell firewall is too small and/or too close to the headers to mount the reservoirs on either the master cylinders or the firewall. The chassis fuse box needed its own scuttle footprint. And the engine harness required real estate to mount both its fuse box and the ECU.

Where to mount the ECU led to the question of where the excess engine harness was going to coil up (aka the snakepit.) Seems GM was generous in providing engine harness length and had their own approach to which wires they grouped together. So the harness layout and snakepit location both had to be resolved before proceeding with the scuttle floor.

The factory crate-engine harness was stripped of its bulky ribbed split-plastic covering and the grouped wires were separated as much as possible. The objective was to create a “home run” for each connector back to a central junction point on the harness. It took quite a while to unravel GM’s handiwork and I had to “stretch” two ground wires and the 12v wire between the O2 sensors to get all the connectors on home runs. No signal wires had to be modified though. :D
Attachment:
PC134423-1.jpg

The picture shows some of the major wire bundles re-covered in a softer, braided harness wrap. I’ll regroup and re-cover the smaller branches with the same kind of wrap after the revised harness is fitted up to the engine. Any excess length in individual “home runs” will be coiled up and stored in the snakepit. Hopefully, none will be too short, ‘cause another objective with this harness is to not stretch any signal wires or re-pin any connectors. Been there, failed miserably at that. :oops:

It now looks like the snake pit will reside in a basket hanging above the tranny. The basket should provide storage for the excess harness, a central feed point for all the homeruns and not take up any scuttle floor space. We’ll see. Still have to find the right place for the battery.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

My Car9 build: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=14613
"It's the construction of the car-the sheer lunacy and joy of making diverse parts come together and work as one-that counts."

Ultima Spyder, Northstar 4.0, Porsche G50/52

PostPosted: December 18, 2016, 10:35 pm 

Been pretty cold in the garage, so its been a good time to do more work on the engine harness--inside. Got the loom wrap completed for most of the connector lead homeruns including some initial pairing of adjacent home runs. The wiring to the right of the yard stick in the picture goes aft of the firewall, the stuff on the left goes forward to the engine.
Attachment:
PC174425-1.jpg

The basket needed to store the excess harness (aka the snakepit) has morphed into a simple shelf. As Car9's upper and lower chassis rails are about 18" apart in the scuttle area, there is plenty of room to fit a removable shelf below the scuttle floor, above the tranny and between the footwell side panels. The shelf will have some built-in slope and a bunch of lightening/drain holes to make sure the harness doesn't sit in a puddle. Sure wish I had a set of dimple dies to stiffen the shelf floor around the drain holes.

Here's what a shelf mock-up looks like with the harness coils laid in.
Attachment:
PC184427-1.jpg

The objective of all this "early" harness work has been to figure out a workable layout for the scuttle floor. The major pieces to locate and mount being the ECU and both the engine and the chassis fuse/relay boxes. The box placement will end up looking something like this:
Attachment:
PC184426-1.jpg

Next step is to build the shelf and finalize the paneling plan for the scuttle floor, but first I need to get some heat into the garage.

Oh, and I still have to figure out the battery location and battery cable routing.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

"It's the construction of the car-the sheer lunacy and joy of making diverse parts come together and work as one-that counts."

PostPosted: January 10, 2017, 2:14 am 

Still pretty cold in the garage, though should warm up a bit soon. So more inside work got done --made two sets of coil relocation br@ck^ts. Used some left-over aluminum angle, sized it on a table saw using a carbide plywood blade and then shaped the end pieces with a drill press, band saw and belt sander. Locost and functional; much lighter weight than the factory steel mounts plus a lower cg and a cleaner looking engine.

Now to weld some t@bs to the chassis and bolt the coil packs in place. Looks like some longer plug wires are in my future. Spiffier valve covers, too.

PostPosted: January 10, 2017, 2:50 am 
The voice of reason

Wow, that looks nice. Remind me not to use nails. I owe you an email, I just realized - I was leaving town when it came in.

PostPosted: January 10, 2017, 2:56 am 

Pretty nice work Tom. Am cheering you on anxious to see this beauty on the road!

PostPosted: January 10, 2017, 8:56 am 
We are Slotus!

benny_toe wrote:
Pretty nice work Tom. Am cheering you on anxious to see this beauty on the road!
Yep, that about sums up my feelings on it too! Well done, Tom!
:cheers:
JDK

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: January 23, 2017, 1:56 am 

Thanks guys. I'm anxious to get it on the road, too. Someday...

Some small progress on the sheet metal work. Finished the under-scuttle tray that will hold the excess engine harness. As this area can get wet, I added some drainage holes and a little lightness. Ummmm... I really wanted to try out my new dimple dies and HF hydraulic press. May have gotten carried away a bit... :oops:
Attachment:
P1184450-1.jpg

The dimples created some pucker in the tray, but it all flattens out when attached to the light weight aluminum angle riveted to the footwell side panels.
Attachment:
P1194452-1.jpg

The whole thing bolts together via floating nut plates and button head machine screws and can be assembled and disassembled with the engine installed. A good thing as the tray needs to be removed to pull the engine and transmission.
Attachment:
P1224454-1.jpg

Next step is to finish the scuttle floor. This will take several panels and be a bit of a jigsaw puzzle as cable access to the under-tray is needed and the intake tube and air cleaner must be accommodated. The first panel is a simple one though.
Attachment:
P1224457-1.jpg
Once the steering shaft support rod-end is trimmed a hammer-formed hat will be added to cover that hole.

PostPosted: January 23, 2017, 2:20 pm 

seattletom wrote:
Next step is to finish the scuttle floor.

Sorry if you covered this already, but whats the point of "flooring" the entire thing Tom? I saw your photo above, but doing the entire thing seems excessive, trying to keep water out, dust, just looks better?

PostPosted: January 23, 2017, 7:28 pm 

Trochu wrote:
seattletom wrote:
Next step is to finish the scuttle floor.
Sorry if you covered this already, but whats the point of "flooring" the entire thing Tom? I saw your photo above, but doing the entire thing seems excessive, trying to keep water out, dust, just looks better?
Hi Trochu, that's a fair question. Its mostly to keep water, etc. out of the footwells but also provides a mounting surface for all the electronic and electrical boxes. With the air cleaner/inlet hiding under the scuttle cover and with another big hole for the harness cables to emerge, the area won't be totally sealed to the elements. Given the long scuttle and the deep engine setback the floor may seem like a big area, but the aluminum sheet doesn't weigh much and it will provide for a more complete firewall.

PostPosted: January 26, 2017, 8:57 am 
We are Slotus!

Trochu wrote:
Yo, Trochu! I think he wuz just showing off his "dimples"!!! :mrgreen:

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: January 26, 2017, 10:40 am 

So, JD & Trochu, have we now sunk low enough here on Locost.USA that we now do "dimple shaming?" :mrgreen: Personally, I think how many dimples a man puts in his ride are between him and his Maker. :rofl:

Cheers,

P.S. Yes, I have way too much time on my hands this morning. I'll be better tomorrow.

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: January 26, 2017, 11:01 am 

Lonnie-S wrote:
So, JD & Trochu, have we now sunk low enough here on Locost.USA that we now do "dimple shaming?" :mrgreen: Personally, I think how many dimples a man puts in his ride are between him and his Maker. :rofl:

Cheers,

P.S. Yes, I have way too much time on my hands this morning. I'll be better tomorrow.

I'm anticipating your comments as the day grows longer. :D

PostPosted: January 26, 2017, 11:06 am 
We are Slotus!

Yo Lonnie!
Asking Trochu if he's "sunk low enough" may be a fair question. But... ME? Have you seen my build log? It ain't a matter of sinking low enough, it's more "Have you climbed up anywhere close to zero, as opposed to negative numbers?" :rofl:

Sorry, Tom... I was just leavin... No, don't get up, I know where the door is... :(

:cheers:
JDK

PostPosted: January 27, 2017, 1:35 pm 

Lonnie-S wrote:
“Dimple Shaming”…oh, my :oops:

Well, it all started so innocently. First a little slope was added to the tray so it wouldn’t collect water. Then there was a hole…just one…to help with draining. Then I started to channel my inner Limeykid and added more holes and then I bought a dimple die. Of course, a decision had to be made whether they should be insies or outsies. But they had to be insies since my excuse was drain holes. Ergo, lots of dimples :roll:

And it all started so innocently with just a little slope… :cry:

PostPosted: January 27, 2017, 2:15 pm 
Toyotaphobe

[quote="seattletom"

And it all started so innocently with just a little slope… :cry:[/quote]

That was one slippery slope.

Have you started the 12 step program yet? Of course they way your dimples started it would be a 12 step, no 18 step, why not do a 31 step program.

I can explain it to you,
but I can't understand it for you.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1436 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65 ... 96  Next