LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 28, 2024, 7:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: October 15, 2013, 10:54 am 

Actually the tank is welded, with a bolt on top. I used Northern tankliner to seal it.

PostPosted: October 15, 2013, 10:34 pm 

i should have made a rotisseri, but being a lazy sob i didn't and guess what. i dropped the chassis when turning it over, it was still only tacked and took a lot of time to bend it back!!

but we in it shall be remembered.

PostPosted: October 21, 2013, 9:32 pm 

Just a quick note, I now have about 150 miles on my car in the last few days. I haven't pushed it too hard yet, but it sure do go around corners!!!! Seems good on the freeways so far. I have never gotten this many thumbs up, smiles, waves, shouts in my life!!! I REALLY LIKE MY CAR!!! I finally got Ins. through Hagerty. If I haven't said this before, always, always, go some place else or call back if you don't hear what you want. I think I may have to start a finished thread. There is nothing wrong with driving a car wearing a heavy coat, a hoody, gloves, and a hat!!! Oh ya and the heater on full.

PostPosted: October 22, 2013, 7:27 am 

Larry
Try blocking off the heater outlet on the passenager side! But your toes are nice and warm. :lol:
Dave W

PostPosted: October 22, 2013, 4:20 pm 

Dave,
That's a good idea but, I'm afraid my passenger (wife) may not like that. Right now I'm testing a a wind deflector, kind of like a wind wing, but down lower.

PostPosted: October 23, 2013, 9:56 am 

Larry
I went through the same process. I had deflectors at the top of the wind shield and the side plus one at the rear. They all made improvements, but not enough to be out and about for any lenght in 45 to 50 degree temps. You will probably have to go with a top to cut down most of the wind. I have a top, rear window and half doors, which works good for the low 50's to high 40's and heater only on the 2nd speed. That gives me two more months of driving in Michigan. Dave W

PostPosted: October 24, 2013, 7:23 am 

RE:Cold weather riding. I'm surprised more foloks don't resort to the electrically heated clothing common in the motorcycle world (which is where I come from, sorta) I have both a heated vest ( made by the now OOB company Widder) and a heated jacket liner made by Gerbing. I use the Gerbing liner under my insulated riding coat during the cold months and have successfully ridden my motorbike down into the teens. 40 degree temps are cake, adn in fact I've never cranked the heat control on the gerbing liner up to full, because its simply too damn hot.

I will absolutely be using it to drive the B-3 around during the winter (on days when the roads are puking salt and sand anyway)

the gerbing liner has a fused harness which attaches to teh battery, and then a controller harness which connected between the battery harness and the liner itself, the liner has coaxial connector ports in the sleeves for heated gloves and in the waist for heated pants on pants liners. I am going to gift my self the gloves for this winter.

seriously, you guys should look into it if you want to ride around in the cold - in an open vehicle - and be warm and comfortable.

The beginnings of the Jag Special,
https://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=19012
Again, all pictures were lost.

PostPosted: November 1, 2013, 10:25 pm 

Robbovius
That sounds like it would work great but it seems like it would go against my cheap nature. Your build is coming along very well and should be finished soon.

Dave,
That sound like what I am thinking about doing now. Top, half doors and maybe a back window. I'm playing with the top right now, but nothing diffenet yet.

I now have a little over 300 miles on my car and I have had very few problems, there are a few clunks here and there but I am tracking them down and fixing them.

I hope all of you guys that have started a car can finish it, they are so much fun, I love my car!!! :-)

PostPosted: December 12, 2017, 2:25 pm 

I thought it was time for a bit of an update. I now have over 8000 miles on my car with a few problems, nothing that wasn't easily fixed. I have upgraded from a Toyota 4ac motor to a 7afe, it has a bit more power and torque. but not enough to get in trouble, maybe I need a turbo. I also switched to a manual transmission so I get to decide which gear to use. The longest trip I've been on was to eastern Washington for a family reunion, I put over 700 miles in a weekend and the car ran like a champ. On the way up I90 to Snoqualmie pass I was following my son, who thinks 75mph is a nice crusing speed, the car had no problem keeping up, or with overheating. On the way home coming back down the pass I got to test the wet weather equipment. That consists of a narrow top and some paper towels stuffed between the front roll bar and the top of the windshield. It must have worked because I was the only driver in the bumper to bumper traffic with a big grin on my face. This is still the most fun car I have ever driven, the driving, the reactions from other drivers, and people in general is just great. I really encourage every one to finish their cars, it is so worth it! As soon as I relearn how to upload pictures I have some I would like to share, probably in the finished car section, even though this car will never be finished!

Thanks

Larry O

PostPosted: December 12, 2017, 4:05 pm 
The voice of reason

Nice looking car! And such good encouragement!
:cheers:

Please do start a finished build thread, that makes your success easier to find and helps people stay thru to the end on their projects.
:)

PostPosted: December 14, 2017, 5:17 pm 

Hey Larry, I'm glad to hear you're out there in the mix of things with your 7. Your encouragement is really valuable to me and others. I'll be back into my build in a few days. Between a big community project, and my wife's health issues, I've been out of it for about 2 months now. I'll have to be retrained now!

Cheers,

Lonnie

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: August 25, 2019, 4:28 pm 

Hi guys, this is no longer a build log for my car. it is pretty much a deconstruction of Larry. I don't have much time left because of stage 4 stomach cancer. I want to thank every body for all of the ideas I have stolen, borrowed, and relocated to my car.
My car: the basics, it has a 103 inch wheel base and is 50 inches wide at the cockpit .
I think it weighs about 1700 pounds according to the scale at the dump.
I took one road trip 700 miles in three days with no problems, even the rain storm I got caught in was fun. I still don't know if building or driving was the most fun. If I could I would do it all again. It is a very easy car to drive it steers quick but not twitchy, and rides better than many pick up trucks I have ridden in. Again thank you for all the help I have gotten from this great board.

Larry

PostPosted: August 25, 2019, 4:54 pm 

Hi Larry, a few years ago my father passed away from stomach cancer so I understand what you’re going through. I wish you the best and hope that your remaining time is full of family, friends and joy. And, thanks for the note letting us know what is going on. Good luck, Bill

PostPosted: August 25, 2019, 5:46 pm 

Hi Larry,

It saddens me deeply to hear of your health issue. I want to thank you for showing off your car and the help with my suspension woes. Was so hoping we could meet up again and swap some more stories. Maybe later...

PostPosted: August 25, 2019, 6:04 pm 

I've really enjoyed your build and posts. I'm sorry to hear about your cancer.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next