LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 3:40 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 142 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next
PostPosted: February 17, 2013, 5:06 pm 

Before I start, I'll go ahead and express my regret of choosing to do two different things simultaneously. Number 1, I should have gone with a wider and taller body. The reason why isn't because it would be "easier" to work on or build, but more of a constant worry of insufficient chassis stiffness due to an inability to fit certain critical braces. Number 2, I wish I had lowered the engine more. As it stands, it looks like i'm going to have to do cutouts for the valve covers as well. I tried to make a car I could drive without "worry" but now its doubled the time required to build the car due to problem solving.

With that said, I've been lurking on this forum for several years now, stealing ideas like crazy. To preface the build, I started by wanting an autocross toy that I could drive around the road. I wanted it to be powerful enough to compensate for the weight of road going luxuries, and seeing as I was driving a Honda Civic at the time, I wanted some torque. Below you'll see the progress as of yet, as well as a link in my sig to the photobucket images.

The Build:
Mcsorely Book Chassis http://www.sevenesque.com/plans/
302 (306) out of an 89 Mustang
AstroA5 transmission
Independent Rear Suspension sourced directly from a miata.
Miata hubs, front and rear
Axles from thedriveshaftshop

First start of the thing.

Bought an excellent donor mustang to replace the original explorer engine.

The new engine. 306 with Aluminum heads. Should net around 400-450hp to the wheels.

In place.

Added the radiator

Replacing the old bellhousing.

Hanging around outside.

Braille Battery. Tiny.

The last project.

Ordered this from carbonmods before they stopped making them.

Cat wearing a gauge dial fastener.

Swapping hydraulic throwout bearings (anyone need the one on the right?)

New transmission from astro performance to handle the power.

Hanging out with the tacoma.

PostPosted: February 17, 2013, 7:15 pm 

Still have that HTOB?

If so, would it work on a later model Camaro (95, world class, Ford bolt pattern, etc) T5?

Let me know one way or the other please.

Thanks!

Louisville, KY
Hayes front, S10 +2 rear, Lalo body.

PostPosted: February 17, 2013, 7:46 pm 
Mid-Engined Maniac

It sure looks as if the back edge of the nose could be raised in order to line up better with the hood and cowl. It would also have the obvious beneifit of helping to hide the engine better. Lay a yardstick between the cowl and nose to confirm.

PostPosted: February 17, 2013, 9:16 pm 

I started this thing being a stickler on how I wanted it to look, but then it became very difficult to accomplish my goals without making the hood horrendous. I'll probably give it a try on mounting the hood higher, as from look at the side profile, it appears the good will be sloping down at too great an angle to appear "original".

PostPosted: February 17, 2013, 9:17 pm 

geek49203 wrote:
Still have that HTOB?

If so, would it work on a later model Camaro (95, world class, Ford bolt pattern, etc) T5?

Let me know one way or the other please.

Thanks!

Oddly enough, the transmission that I had that HTOB on was a 94 cobra world class T5. If it will work on a later model camaro, I have no idea.

PostPosted: February 17, 2013, 9:39 pm 

eh3civic wrote:
Oddly enough, the transmission that I had that HTOB on was a 94 cobra world class T5. If it will work on a later model camaro, I have no idea.

How much?

Louisville, KY
Hayes front, S10 +2 rear, Lalo body.

PostPosted: February 18, 2013, 1:37 pm 

Your builds looking really good. You and me seem to be on the same wave lengths. Our builds seem to mirror eaother pretty well. Good luck with the build.

PostPosted: February 18, 2013, 5:19 pm 

man, that is a helluva way to start a build log. The car is almost done! Nice job btw.

What can you share about the seats, they look great.

thx, Greg

PostPosted: February 18, 2013, 6:01 pm 

Great looking build..cant wait to see and hear it winding through the gears

Kiwi Dave

PostPosted: February 18, 2013, 11:11 pm 

geek49203 wrote:
eh3civic wrote:

How much?

I would probably sell it for $125. I got it a while back and used it only when I fabbed up the original transmission. I'm convinced it is NOT for a 94-95 T5 as there is about .5inch difference on the input shaft length between years, and this one seemed about .5inch too short after shimming it. The solution is just to make a custom shim for it. If I can find the bar that locks it down, I'll throw it in too. I basically just used a bolt and cut the head off. Comes with alternate bearing retainer for perfect fitment. HOWEVER, please do research first as I definitely don't want to sell you something that doesn't work. Guess if it didn't work, you could just turn around and sell it for $150 lol.

http://www.jegs.com/i/Ram-Clutches/798/78130/10002/-1?parentProductId=795647

PostPosted: February 18, 2013, 11:19 pm 

gregaustex wrote:
man, that is a helluva way to start a build log. The car is almost done! Nice job btw.

What can you share about the seats, they look great.

thx, Greg

Thanks! I feel like its still SO far from being done, but that's just because I've been so lazy about getting back to working on it.

As far as the seats go, they're out of a Lotus Elise as seen below. I'm pleased to say that they fit PERFECTLY in a Mcsorely Book Chassis, even with a wide driveshaft tunnel. When I say "Perfect", it means that I'm going to have trouble with putting any kind of bodywork in with them.

PostPosted: February 21, 2013, 1:32 am 

KB58 wrote:
It sure looks as if the back edge of the nose could be raised in order to line up better with the hood and cowl. It would also have the obvious beneifit of helping to hide the engine better. Lay a yardstick between the cowl and nose to confirm.

After closer examination and some horrible photoshopping, I've convinced myself that this is the right thing to do.

PostPosted: February 21, 2013, 2:06 am 

cool build!

I know ford's are a bit weird but I didn't realize you need a cat to get it to work right.

sorry bad joke

PostPosted: February 24, 2013, 10:47 am 

So Friday i decide I'm going to go take the car for its VERY FIRST test drive. It was about 36f outside, so it was a tough start, but gradually it was running like a champ. I go to let off the clutch when suddenly I get my first visitor that I've had since moving in 6 months ago, and he is blocking my exit. I shut the car off and walk down the driveway to talk to this guy. While talking, it starts training... That's the end of that story. No test drive

PostPosted: February 24, 2013, 12:50 pm 
We are Slotus!

pmatolcsy wrote:
cool build!
I know ford's are a bit weird but I didn't realize you need a cat to get it to work right.

Nah, Phil, you don't understand... Ford guys get ALL the p*$$y.... :mrgreen:

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 142 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next