LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 28, 2024, 9:42 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 264 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18
PostPosted: September 6, 2017, 11:36 am 

Or popped a GFI outlet?

PostPosted: September 6, 2017, 3:46 pm 

That could be also. Tripped GFCI Outlets are reset at the outlet. Tripped circuit breakers can only be reset one way and one way only. A common misconception is that you just flip it back to the ON position. It MUST be flipped all the way off first, then back on. It won't reset if you try and go from the tripped position to ON.

And just in case it is a tripped GFCI outlet, make sure that you don't put garage fridges or beer coolers on the LOAD side of a GFCI protected circuit, or you will come home to warm beer and spoiled food. Been there done that, threw away a lot of food. I now run multiple circuits to my work spaces and if there is going to be a fridge, that circuit home runs to that outlet (a fourplex) where the GFCI takes up one of the spots and a regular outlet takes up the other space. The regular outlet (the one for the fridge) is wired to the LINE side of the GFCI (feed side) and the rest of the outlets on that circuit are wired to the LOAD (protected) side of the GFCI. Most fridges come with a flat plug that if plugged into the top receptacle, will block you from putting anything in the bottom hole.

Tom

My short term memory is absolutely horrible and so is my short term memory.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sG16m2e4O6I

PostPosted: September 6, 2017, 3:57 pm 

I thought of that too, but no GFCI outlets in the garage either.

Unless I can convince the owners to let me add a little juice, I may have to come up with an alternate plan on welding this chassis.

PostPosted: September 6, 2017, 4:30 pm 

As far as I'm aware, even a 120V @ 15A circuit should be able to reasonably support welding .065 steel without tripping the breaker.

"Orville Wright did not have a pilots license." - Gordon MacKenzie

PostPosted: September 6, 2017, 5:12 pm 

Dudefladge wrote:
I thought of that too, but no GFCI outlets in the garage either.

Unless I can convince the owners to let me add a little juice, I may have to come up with an alternate plan on welding this chassis.

I PM'd you an easy solution. Works like a charm.

Tom

My short term memory is absolutely horrible and so is my short term memory.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sG16m2e4O6I

PostPosted: September 6, 2017, 8:38 pm 

If you have room in the panel for an extra breaker you can put an extra temporary line in for a 20A outlet for the welder.

Or you can make an extension cord to run off the dryer outlet for 220V.

I'd suggest not consulting the owners they might tell you they don't want you welding in the garage.

Better to ask for forgiveness later.....

And have a couple of large extinguishers you can point at, if the welding raise eyebrows.

PostPosted: October 10, 2017, 9:56 pm 

Here is a very cool plaque Howard has hanging in his shop. Both of his Streamliners are featured on it. Very cool history!

Thanks again Howard!

373 and 299 MPH are the two that Howard built.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: October 12, 2017, 10:41 pm 

:thmbsup: Thanks for posting.

Cheers,

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: January 15, 2018, 9:26 am 

I finally got to meet Howard in person the first week of August 2017. He's a very kind man with a wealth of knowledge and great stories to share. We spent about three hours together gathering up parts and getting everything loaded for the trip from Arizona to Kentucky. When the time came to pull out I really didn't want to leave. I could have spent days there with Howard just hanging out visiting and hearing about his many adventures in life.

We have been keeping in touch over the last four months and I will keep him updated on my progress as I continue his build. Progress may be a little slow, but I will do my best to see Howard's project through to completion. I have started a new thread to continue the story here: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=19088

Howard may not post often, but rest assured... He is still working hard! Just a couple weeks ago he was digging up busted water lines on his property... with a spade, trenching shovel, trowel and rock picking hammer! :shock: The roots of a big cottonwood tree broke a sprinkler line 12" down and a faucet line 30" down. The soil in his area is very rocky, so it is tough digging. "I did most of it on my hands and knees and laying on my stomach."

Yup! That's Howard "Saltracer" Nafzger! :wink:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 264 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18