LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 8:55 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: May 10, 2015, 8:44 pm 

How's the build going Marcel?

We're neighbors of sorts, I'm just out in North Saanich. I purchased Mark's (mainlandboy) car last year, and can't get enough! I'm considering building another one...with Miata based running gear. Just picked up a 2000 MX-5 with 6 spd!

We should round up some Islanders...

Cheers,

Chris

PostPosted: May 24, 2015, 1:26 am 

Hi Chris. Nice to have a fellow island enthusiast around. Sent you a pm.

Marcel

PostPosted: May 24, 2015, 1:30 am 

Working out the bugs on the upper and lower control arms. At least I can see what it will look like with wheels now.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: May 24, 2015, 2:17 am 

Looking good! Keep up the great work!

PostPosted: July 4, 2016, 10:52 pm 

It's been slow going but some work has been done.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: July 6, 2016, 2:35 am 

I'm working on a 1.8L 95 Locost myself, it looks like you're "eyeing" everything with the bottom of the engine in line with the bottom of the chassis, one concern I had with my build was that the oil pan needs to be reduced in height, if not you may have issues with the top of the engine going above your future hood, or the oil pan dipping below the bottom chassis line - But you may have already thought of that, it appears your nose cone easily clears the engine.

PostPosted: July 6, 2016, 9:30 pm 

I hear ha about the oil pan. I've been struggling to think it through and wonder what will actually happen on the road. The oil pan currently sits 3 inches below the frame. As you can see though I have 5 inches of clearance with the road. Car is not fully laden yet though. I imagine I will lose anothe 1/2 to 3/4 inches. I bought the wrong springs for the front though. 600lbs/in set at 50 degrees so a little more than 300 actual. If I lower the spring rate for a softer ride I will lose even more ground clearance. Luckily they are changeable.

PostPosted: July 6, 2016, 10:04 pm 

I would really advise raising your engine. A 2x4 turned the wrong way could do some serious damage to your drivetrain. Other then that she looks good. Keep up the good work!

PostPosted: July 7, 2016, 9:22 am 

At the very least, Cage in the oil pan so if you do hit something the cage will take the force and not the thin oil pan. I have seen what an armadillo will do to an oil pan.

PostPosted: July 7, 2016, 10:07 am 
We are Slotus!

Quote:
I have seen what an armadillo will do to an oil pan.
:puke: And consider what the oil pan did to the armadillo...

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: July 7, 2016, 11:59 am 

Wow, I think I gave sound advice for once, I'm starting to feel like these ol' farts on here.

From my experience (which isn't a lot) the miata engine is too tall to fit into the chassis with a hood and not have the oil pan stick out from the bottom. If I were you I'd get the scuttle and nose cone on so you know how high you can place the engine w/o it hitting/blocking the hood. Raise the engine as high as possible, then reduce the height of the oil pan to "hopefully" align with the bottom of the chassis. I've seen the reduction of the oil pan done on this site, can't remember who, and I plan to do the same eventually, as mine still sticks out about an inch. The "cage" idea above is a good one that I hadn't thought of, depending on how much I can reduce the oil pan I might consider that one too. On mine, the engine is so high up that I think the oil cap might hit the hood, just a little though, so I might need to find a lower profile oil cap or grind the plastic off just a bit. It also looks like you've got your engine pretty far forward, I placed mine as far back as possible since you'll have radiator hoses, air intake tube, etc., to put in. I just got done installing those and the air intake hose is pretty large. Another nice thing about bringing the engine back as far as possible is that the shifter is closer to the driver...it'll make it more ergonomic instead of jerry-rigging something else or leaning forward to shift. Hope this helps.

PostPosted: July 7, 2016, 2:02 pm 

WAX wrote:
At the very least, Cage in the oil pan so if you do hit something the cage will take the force and not the thin oil pan.

If you decide to go this route you should think "skid plate" rather than cage, something like they would put on a rally car. A skid plate will lift the car up and over the obstacle, while protecting the sump, rather than full-stop bashing into it like a cage would.

PostPosted: July 7, 2016, 4:00 pm 

Most engines won't fit in a book-sized Locost without some compromises. If you've got 5-6" of ground clearance, an inch below the frame is generally acceptable. Mine's just over an inch below, and no problems in 25K miles. I would think 3" is asking for trouble.

600# springs are going to be pretty rough. You could lower them to 300# and the ride still wouldn't be soft.

PostPosted: July 7, 2016, 9:43 pm 

Foxtrot and Sevenseeker,

I'm a Victoria resident Jan, Feb and March each year so if you plan a get together in those months please include me. I'll be in the Songhees area.

Bill

PostPosted: July 9, 2016, 12:17 pm 

Thanks for all the input. Three steps forward and two back I guess. Moving the engine back and up has been on the back of my mind as is the skid plate concept. I just think very hard before "un-welding" anything. More time before seems like better energy spent. Im curious what kind of clearance (oil pan to road) others are using? If I raise the engine then it also gives me greater options with wheel size. I haven't finished shortening the driveshaft so moving the engine rearward still remains an option. The only thing I am concerned about that is moving the oil pan further from the front wheels creates more of an issue when driving over curbs in and out or parking lots etc.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next